Mavericks @ Suns Sunday Playoff game thread, R2, 5-15-2022 - Game 7

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We deserve it at this point. 7 games vs a team we own.
This isn't the same Dallas team we've owned. They played very well down the stretch even if it seems from the outside to be mostly a one man team. Regardless, it's been months since we've consistently played well for the entire game.

I think it's 25% Monty and 75% injuries but maybe we just aren't that good and Coach earned his award during the regular season making us appear to be something we weren't. I don't buy that last part, I'm just reaching for straws.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not puzzling, they were getting open 3's with him on the court.

The Mavericks hit 3Ps last night with McGee off the court as well. They made 10 more 3Ps than the Suns.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm getting Mario Ellie/John Paxon vibes for this upcoming game. This game is going to be so close. IMO

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s been getting destroyed on defense that’s why

It's no reason McGee shouldn't have played some minutes last night. He has been an integral part of the Suns bench all season. The Suns are playing the Mavericks game not vice versa.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's no reason McGee shouldn't have played some minutes last night. He has been an integral part of the Suns bench all season. The Suns are playing the Mavericks game not vice versa.
The Suns biggest problem was their turnovers last night. Mcgee is the most careless ball handler on the team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns biggest problem was their turnovers last night. Mcgee is the most careless ball handler on the team.

So how did that work out last night with McGee on the bench and the Suns turning the ball over 22 times?

Actually it goes back the Suns needing more help at point guard off the bench.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So how did that work out last night with McGee on the bench and the Suns turning the ball over 22 times?

Actually it goes back the Suns needing more help at point guard off the bench.
The turnovers are killing us and it's the entire team. Booker is pressing. We all know when he doesn't get help he makes mistakes with the ball. We watched that for years until CP3 got here. With CP3 not showing up this series Booker has gotten no guard help. He needs help. Not only to help get the team into the offense but to score and take some of the pressure off.

It's obvious Dallas now has ZERO fraks to give about Paul. They don't respect Paul nor do they think he is a factor. Paul has given them zero reason to fear him. Expect them to trap Booker and clog the paint whenever he touches the ball.

They are daring someone...anyone.... other than Book to beat them.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The turnovers are killing us and it's the entire team. Booker is pressing. We all know when he doesn't get help he makes mistakes with the ball. We watched that for years until CP3 got here. With CP3 not showing up this series Booker has gotten no guard help. He needs help. Not only to help get the team into the offense but tp scpre/

It's obvious Dallas now has ZERO fraks to give about Paul. They don't respect Paul nor do they think he is a factor. Paul has given them zero reason to fear him. Expect them to trap Booker and clog the paint whenever he touches the ball.

They are daring someone...anyone.... other than Book to beat them.

I still say make Doncic beat you. Get out on the 3P shooters and clog the lane with our centers.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still say make Doncic beat you. Get out on the 3P shooters and clog the lane with our centers.
100% with you. I don't care if Doncic scores 50. You just can't let Luka score 50 and get 10 assists. We know the recipe. Shut down everyone else but him and we win.

Cam Payne being a total negative is killing us. The Twins (Bridges and Cam J) will need to step up or we're in big trouble.
It's not just Payne being a negative but not getting ANY consistent production off the bench at that position. When you add that with CP3 not showing up? It's a disaster. Totally agree about Bridges and Cam. We need at least 20 to 25 points between them or we are in trouble.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Soooo ayton suns carrer prob with team comes down to a gm 7 vs luka

Listen da if u want a max deal ehhhhh than play like monster da sun and send mavs packing.....

Soooo nervous on sun tod sucks 420 not even helpin my mood :(

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't agree. We can't even seem to take advantage of ayton down low, who is a much better low post scorer. Biz is much better with his switching defense.

We need to generate more good 3 point shooting looks for ourselves. Also need to get out and push the ball up more often.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't agree. We can't even seem to take advantage of ayton down low, who is a much better low post scorer. Biz is much better with his switching defense.

We need to generate more good 3 point shooting looks for ourselves. Also need to get out and push the ball up more often.
The Suns are not a great 3 point shooting team even though we have good shooters. We finished 21st in the league at 3P made during the regular season and we are the 3rd worst in 3P made in the playoffs. The Suns need to just be efficient from 3 but we are not going to win games depending on it. Our mid-range game has evaporated outside the box.

The Suns are either playing around the rim or at the three point line. Nothing in-between. Notice the number of threes compared to the area on the floor where CP3 and Booker normally light it up. Even with the shots at the top (near the free-throw line) we are hitting below the playoff team's average.

Don't pay attention to the number (regular season way more shots) but the concentration. On the left you can see the Suns are either feasting right under the rim or taking a ton of threes in the playoffs. On the right? During the regular season our shots expanded a ton just outside the rim and outside the box. Shots the Pelicans and Mavs have completely taken away from us. Shots that normally guys like CP3 feasted on during the regular season. We are shooting below average in our "money" areas.

This is a nutshell is our playoffs so far.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 1652463367220.png
    1652463367220.png
    338 KB · Views: 5
  • 1652463637707.png
    1652463637707.png
    219.1 KB · Views: 5

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The Mavericks hit 3Ps last night with McGee off the court as well. They made 10 more 3Ps than the Suns.
Dallas are an inside out team. They really depend on the 3 to win, but they do a good job of setting it up by attacking the paint. If it is a one man show in game 7 they will lose just like last year. If they have multiple players engaged they have a chance. This has been such a weird series, I want to see a close game but everything points to a blowout by the suns.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dallas are an inside out team. They really depend on the 3 to win, but they do a good job of setting it up by attacking the paint. If it is a one man show in game 7 they will lose just like last year. If they have multiple players engaged they have a chance. This has been such a weird series, I want to see a close game but everything points to a blowout by the suns.

The Suns should be an inside out team as well.

Just because the Suns haven't taken advantage of Ayton, McGee and Biz doesn't mean they can't. I'd go back to the Suns regular rotation in game 7. Make a focus of getting the ball inside to open up the mid-range game and 3-point shots.

One of the problems is when the Suns big men switch outside it leaves the lane open. This needs to be tweaked.

Suns definitely need to push the ball more but they can't do that when they are turning the ball over. Hopefully the Suns can find an answer at backup point guard out of Payne, Shamet or Holiday.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Skip, paging Lil Wayne for a courtside seat on Sunday to keep CP3 fired up...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
imo, containing Luka OR everyone else is a false choice that has lead us to game 7.
he's not the first superstar scorer who can pass
we have to do both
guard him tight -- have someone close on him when he penetrates, and scramble to 3 pt shooters

my eyes saw him on executing layup drills after he passes his exterior defender
and really weak, half-hearted run-outs to 3 pt shooters

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
imo, containing Luka OR everyone else is a false choice that has lead us to game 7.
he's not the first superstar scorer who can pass
we have to do both
guard him tight -- have someone close on him when he penetrates, and scramble to 3 pt shooters

my eyes saw him on executing layup drills after he passes his exterior defender
and really weak, half-hearted run-outs to 3 pt shooters
You can't contain Luka. All you can do is keep him honest and try and slow him down. Every team in the NBA has been trying all season. When the Mavs are one dimensional they are very beatable. The problem I had last game is we had defenders watching him go to the basket. To me that's not slowing him down or keeping him honest.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the pressure is on Phoenix, Dallas can play nice and loose. I don't have a great feeling about this game either.

I think the pressure is on both teams in a game 7 because there is no tomorrow. However, there is probably more pressure on Dallas because they will be playing in Phoenix.

My primary concern, the Suns haven't played well of late. If they don't play well, they can't win anywhere.