Mavericks @ Suns Sunday game thread 8-2-20 (season restart)

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
What a game! So frustrated by the refs but also so IMPRESSED by the bench! The way they took control in the 3rd was beautiful. Then we finished even without book!

Not a perfect game, lots to dissect and be critical of but the most important thing is that we found a way to win and we are 2-0. GO SUNS!

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Today the bench was great but 80% of the time they are the problem, they still need a good 3 players for their bench to start really making a difference in the standings hopefully they can get that in the draft/free agency , hopefully a PG, real PF, and another 3pt shooter who isn't defensively challenged and this would be a playoff team

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Today the bench was great but 80% of the time they are the problem, they still need a good 3 players for their bench to start really making a difference in the standings hopefully they can get that in the draft/free agency , hopefully a PG, real PF, and another 3pt shooter who isn't defensively challenged and this would be a playoff team
Back up pg is the primary problem off the bench. It will be interesting to see if Payne will pan out.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back up pg is the primary problem off the bench. It will be interesting to see if Payne will pan out.

Definitely need a backup point guard. I like what I saw of Payne offensively. He seemed to run the team well but he had only had 1 assist. Maybe it was one of those nights.

Suns need another player or two that can defend the rim besides Ayton. Mavericks drove the ball to the basket relentlessly. It made for a lot of foul trouble.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
couldn't watch the game but had fun reading this thread.

just watched highlights. Cam Johnson looks a lot bigger than last year. Am I right or is it just the hair?

I've said the same thing, he's starting to fill out.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Definitely need a backup point guard. I like what I saw of Payne offensively. He seemed to run the team well but he had only had 1 assist. Maybe it was one of those nights.

Suns need another player or two that can defend the rim besides Ayton. Mavericks drove the ball to the basket relentlessly. It made for a lot of foul trouble.

I think that was to Bridges, he does have the right mindset to look up ahead for teammates. I think he'll pick up more assists once he gets more familiar with everyone.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of good things to say about a lot of players. Rubio was clutch running the team especially when Booker fouled out. He kept the team together in the closing moments. Also there was Cam Johnson with 19 points and 12 rebounds. Cam Payne played some nice defense and got the Suns 10 points but Jevon Carter continues to make the case for his value to the team.

Off the bench Carter was 2-4 for 6 points (both 3-pointers) but played solid defense and had 5 assists, 1 steal and 0 turnovers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that was to Bridges, he does have the right mindset to look up ahead for teammates. I think he'll pick up more assists once he gets more familiar with everyone.

Cam Payne played well. He is making a strong case to stick with the team as did Jevon Carter who can help at point guard as well. Ty Jerome (who is under contract for next season) and Elie Okobo seem to be on the outside looking in.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cam Payne played well. He is making a strong case to stick with the team as did Jevon Carter who can help at point guard as well. Ty Jerome (who is under contract for next season) and Elie Okobo seem to be on the outside looking in.

I thought it has been quite obvious all season this was the case, but they still kept getting playing time.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it has been quite obvious all season this was the case, but they still kept getting playing time.

It's hard to give up on a first round pick in his first season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This might be the luckiest win I can remember.

Mavs choked more than we won.
I’m admittedly a tough critic of the suns, but I don’t buy this one. A lot of young players that aren’t typically relied upon in crunch time came up big in this win. That span of two three pointers from each of carter, Payne, and cam turned the game and put pressure on a team that cracks in close games. The refs didn’t bail us out. This was an impressive win.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
yeah it is. It’s awful scoring, below average rebounding and took himself out of the game because of stupid fouls.

that’s an awful game for a guy who’s supposed to be one of the best players on the team.
Not to mention he didn’t really seem to dent porzingas

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I think you hit the nail on the head with Payne. He’s a scoring pg. he doesn’t have the vision or inclination to set up teammates. There’s was a play in the warm up games where he drove and the entire defense collapsed on him and he had three guys WIDE open - I was curious to whom he would pass - and he forced up an awful shot. That’s when I knew he wasn’t really a pg.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you hit the nail on the head with Payne. He’s a scoring pg. he doesn’t have the vision or inclination to set up teammates. There’s was a play in the warm up games where he drove and the entire defense collapsed on him and he had three guys WIDE open - I was curious to whom he would pass - and he forced up an awful shot. That’s when I knew he wasn’t really a pg.

It could well be because his career assists are only 2.5 to 1 turnover but he does look to pass most of the time I have watched him. It's hard to fault him if he gets open looks and plays aggressive. Right now he is the best backup point guard the Suns have although Jevon Carter is filling a couple of roles as point guard and shooting guard.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A very suns-esque stat

Sort of but I can't remember many halves where the Suns shot so poorly from 3 point range. It looked like the Mavs were going for the win rather than force overtime.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He gets a lot of flack, but I'm re-watching the 3rd quarter comeback and Frank Kaminsky actually did pretty well after Ayton went out with 5 fouls. Had a foul or two called on him which were bogus. But he was thrown into a long stretch against Porzingis.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow very impressive comeback win vs mavs without booker in final minutes

Very impressive gm by johnson like how he added muscle seems to be helping! And another solid gm by payne I want him on roster next season!!!

My heart was racing mavs had two great looks at 3s in last secondssuns got bit lucky both hit front of rim

Another hard gm tom at 1 vs clippers...

Atleast suns are showing heart and not slacking these final gms

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It's tough to say with Payne, as he knows he has a shot here to prove himself and showcase himself for a spot on the team or to get back in the nba with another team. He has nothing to lose by putting on a good face for another nba contract.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saw a stat last night that Doncic is 0-10 in game winning or tying shots at the end of games this season. Had I known that last night then I would have breathed a bit easier before the final possession. I knew the Mav's had issues closing games but didn't realize Luka was that un-clutch.

Here's where I saw it. Not sure where you can look up that stat on your own but if someone does, please share a link.
https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-restart-first-impressions/

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m admittedly a tough critic of the suns, but I don’t buy this one. A lot of young players that aren’t typically relied upon in crunch time came up big in this win. That span of two three pointers from each of carter, Payne, and cam turned the game and put pressure on a team that cracks in close games. The refs didn’t bail us out. This was an impressive win.

You don't buy it?

Do you realize the Mavs went 1-18 from 3 in the second half? Do you have any idea how rare that is in today's NBA? Literally 2-18 would have beaten us - which is still an insane statistical anomaly.

Look I get it, the bench deserves some credit - but overall the Suns played quite badly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson