Mavericks @ Suns Sunday game thread 8-2-20 (season restart)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns play their second game in the Orlando bubble on Sunday against the Mavericks.

Mavericks (40-28) lost their last outing to the Rockets 153-149 in overtime.

Suns are (27-39) beat the Wizards 125-112.

The game will be televised on FSAZ.

Start time is scheduled for 6 p.m. Arizona time.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns play their second game in the Orlando bubble on Sunday against the Mavericks.

Mavericks (40-28) lost their last outing to the Rockets 153-149 in overtime.

Suns are (27-39) beat the Wizards 125-112.

The game will be televised on FSAZ.

Start time is scheduled for 6 p.m. Arizona time.

This is one where they would really need Oubre and Baynes in order to have a chance...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jalen Lecque is practicing with the team.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something to think about.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be nice to see Baynes get a few minutes.

Kellan Olson
@KellanOlson

When it comes to Aron Baynes, Monty said there's not a lot of time to practice now so it's tricky to get guys like him the right reps they need to get to game shape.

3:55 PM · Aug 1, 2020

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kellan Olson
@KellanOlson

In an 8 seed update, the Pelicans are down 29 (!) in the late second quarter against the Clippers.

4:01 PM · Aug 1, 2020

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This makes it sound less likely we see Baynes.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Something to think about.

Now if only stats equated to beating other teams. Time will tell.

Question: are you concerned that his new love affair with the
3-point shot will keep him even farther from the basket on offense?

If so, we desperately need a Power Forward who will provide muscle
and get to the free throw line. Playing lightweight PF's won't do it.

Successful basketball teams have all aspects of the game covered.
As in any sport. The Suns do not.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Most of the good players (even the big men) have a 3-point shot in there arsenal so no it doesn't bother me. Ayton's 3-point shot looks sweet because he has such nice arc on the ball. Also I've seen Ayton come down the court where the defense didn't cover him up top. I think it's a cool weapon as long as he doesn't fall in love with the shot.

With Ayton's versatility I think it gives the Suns an option to look at a variety of 4/5 players next season including some bigs whose calling card is defense and rebounding. I think you always wanted to give the twin towers a look so we might see that sometime down the road.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Me: “Here’s the cure for COVID”

You: “Eww, it’s too chalky. It might make my mouth dry the rest of the day”

When being the contrarian requires a significant amount of effort, you’re probably off the rails.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Me: “Here’s the cure for COVID”

You: “Eww, it’s too chalky. It might make my mouth dry the rest of the day”

When being the contrarian requires a significant amount of effort, you’re probably off the rails.
Fantasizing metaphors doesn't address the problem at hand.

We've all waiting a long time for the Suns to be a playoff contender.

Yes, I am a contrarian to the history of our team under Sarver.

Aren't you? Are you really condoning the status quo?

Rationalizing failure?

That is "Me", TJ. And I'm glad to hear that you've discovered the
cure for COVID-19. Where does the line form? Dry mouth and all. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I am an eternal optimist. But I am also a realist. I never
lie to myself (or anyone else), even about the teams I root for.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

So far (emphasis on ‘so far’) I am not concerned with the 3 point shots that he has taken because they have come organically. It doesn’t appear (yet) that he is spending time at the 3 point line in situations that he should be under the basket. It appears that he is just taking advantage of the space that the opponents are giving him when his role in the offense at that particular moment requires him to be more on the perimeter. As long as the 3 point attempts continue this pattern then I have no problem with him shooting them as opposed to just swinging the ball around while on the perimeter (like he was more apt to do last season and earlier this season).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slowing down Doncic will be a tough chore.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is one where they would really need Oubre and Baynes in order to have a chance...

I don’t agree. We match up well with the Mavs.

next game against the clips is where we are in trouble without oubre.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns will be without Oubre. Maybe we will find out his status today. Tom Leander is supposed to interview him.

Kellan Olson
@KellanOlson

Kelly Oubre Jr. is out for the Suns' game tomorrow against the Mavericks

5:04 PM · Aug 1, 2020

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns will be without Oubre. Maybe we will find out his status today. Tom Leander is supposed to interview him.

Kellan Olson
@KellanOlson

Kelly Oubre Jr. is out for the Suns' game tomorrow against the Mavericks

5:04 PM · Aug 1, 2020

Was Kelly actually going 5-5 at any point before the seeding section started?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Most of the good players (even the big men) have a 3-point shot in there arsenal so no it doesn't bother me. Ayton's 3-point shot looks sweet because he has such nice arc on the ball. Also I've seen Ayton come down the court where the defense didn't cover him up top. I think it's a cool weapon as long as he doesn't fall in love with the shot.

With Ayton's versatility I think it gives the Suns an option to look at a variety of 4/5 players next season including some bigs whose calling card is defense and rebounding. I think you always wanted to give the twin towers a look so we might see that sometime down the road.

This is a very important point. If Ayton can shoot the three, you no longer necessarily need a stretch four. You can literally get a guy who has never shot a three-pointer before and be fine, as long as he can defend, rebound, and score in the paint.

Three-point shot is huge for Ayton. He can already score down low- back to the basket and face-up situations. If he can hit the three, teams won't be able to sag off him, which improves spacing for everyone. Once they start running at him, he'll be able to drive to the hoop or take a couple of steps for a mid-range jumper. As long as he mixes it up and doesn't turn into a stretch five, his ability to hit the three will be a huge positive factor.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Slowing down Doncic will be a tough chore.

You can't stop Luka. From watching the Mavs a lot the last two years, there are two ways to defend him. Double him every time and hope others miss open shots. Denver and Clippers had some success with this. Other approach is to live with his three-point shooting. He is a good shooter, but most (almost all) his threes are off the dribble. He doesn't get set up for open/ set three-point shots. He is also somewhat streaky, so in my opinion, you switch Ayton on him and tell Ayton to stay in front of him and then use his length to challange the shots once he jumps (Do NOT fall for pump-fakes.) Ayton had some games where he did a great job defensively on smaller guys on the perimeter.

On the other end of the floor, whoever Doncic is guarding needs to be aggressive. He is a better defender than people think, but he is not great. Run him through multiple screens on every possession. If you bang him up consistently, those step-back threes are likely to be just a little short in the fourth quarter.

Also, do not let Booker anywhere near him on defense. Luka will eat him alive. When Book gets eaten alive, he gets frustrated and starts doing stupid stuff. I love Book, but he should not look at Luka, let alone try to match up with him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a very important point. If Ayton can shoot the three, you no longer necessarily need a stretch four. You can literally get a guy who has never shot a three-pointer before and be fine, as long as he can defend, rebound, and score in the paint.

Three-point shot is huge for Ayton. He can already score down low- back to the basket and face-up situations. If he can hit the three, teams won't be able to sag off him, which improves spacing for everyone. Once they start running at him, he'll be able to drive to the hoop or take a couple of steps for a mid-range jumper. As long as he mixes it up and doesn't turn into a stretch five, his ability to hit the three will be a huge positive factor.

What a great description of what Ayton's 3-point shot creates.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't stop Luka. From watching the Mavs a lot the last two years, there are two ways to defend him. Double him every time and hope others miss open shots. Denver and Clippers had some success with this. Other approach is to live with his three-point shooting. He is a good shooter, but most (almost all) his threes are off the dribble. He doesn't get set up for open/ set three-point shots. He is also somewhat streaky, so in my opinion, you switch Ayton on him and tell Ayton to stay in front of him and then use his length to challange the shots once he jumps (Do NOT fall for pump-fakes.) Ayton had some games where he did a great job defensively on smaller guys on the perimeter.

On the other end of the floor, whoever Doncic is guarding needs to be aggressive. He is a better defender than people think, but he is not great. Run him through multiple screens on every possession. If you bang him up consistently, those step-back threes are likely to be just a little short in the fourth quarter.

Also, do not let Booker anywhere near him on defense. Luka will eat him alive. When Book gets eaten alive, he gets frustrated and starts doing stupid stuff. I love Book, but he should not look at Luka, let alone try to match up with him.

Totally agree. Hopefully Bridges gets a chance to guard Luka but the Suns need to use a variety of players otherwise he will get them in foul trouble. And make him work on defense. The Mavericks have some other players that can light the Suns up. I'm hoping Trey Burke has an off game.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don’t agree. We match up well with the Mavs.

next game against the clips is where we are in trouble without oubre.

Against the Clips, we would be in trouble WITH Oubre and Baynes. This game, on the other hand, is winnable, but only with all hands on deck.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's go suns maybe mavs will be winded from that tough loss to rockets in ot

Should be a fun gm

Looking for ayton to continue is solid play and booker

I'm really hoping payne makes roster next yr i like him as a role player

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member