Mavericks @ Suns Monday (Christmas Night) game thread 12-25-2023

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d be okay with that at this point.

I can’t stand watching his game and he’s somehow making me even dislike Booker at this point.

Or maybe we’re just seeing how weak of a leader Booker actually is. The two GREAT Suns teams with Booker/CP3 went only as far as CP3 could take them. When he went in the tank, so did the team. And when he started to become older than dirt in front of our eyes we went from contender to also ran.

Same was true with Rubio to a much less successful extent.

I think what we’re seeing is why so many hated the idea of Point Book. He doesn’t have that game in him to excel at that position. And he doesn’t have the steadiest hand to be the unquestioned leader. He’s a DYNAMITE SG, and would probably be the NBA’s BEST #2 superstar… but he’s not a title winning 1. He’s a mediocre #1… at best right now.

We've seen Suns teams fail because of dudes breaking down, injuries, choking... ect ect.

Durant hasn't even been here a year and the dude is already pulling his passive aggressive routine... sending out whispers in the press, rattling his rusty sabre and giving one of the more pathetic efforts in a prime time game I've seen in a while.

Booker and CP3 and the gang laid some eggs, but I didn't doubt the effort... tonight Durant pulled an Ayton.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker continues to say the right thing. Hopefully help is on the way in some way, shape or form.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think if Ishbia is chasing Book, they are discussing things in general. Maybe what they can do for players? Coaching changes? Something going down.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's absolute nonsense that neither KDB or Watanabe saw a minute in this game. Nonsense.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've seen Suns teams fail because of dudes breaking down, injuries, choking... ect ect.

Durant hasn't even been here a year and the dude is already pulling his passive aggressive routine... sending out whispers in the press, rattling his rusty sabre and giving one of the more pathetic efforts in a prime time game I've seen in a while.

Booker and CP3 and the gang laid some eggs, but tonight Durant pulled an Ayton.
Oh trust me, just because most of that post was about Booker, doesn’t mean I’m laying off Durant.

I’m done with that dude. For years after he fled to the Warriors I thought he was the biggest wuss in the league. Then I saw him almost singlehandedly beat Giannis and tried to fool myself into thinking his wuss ass wouldn’t wuss out here… mostly because I thought last year’s Suns team was dead in the water.

But to paraphrase the great Dennis Green… “KD IS WHO I THOUGHT HE WAS! AND WE LET NJ OFF THE HOOK!”

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont believe Booker, Allen, or Metu quit.

Book is asked to be the pg while be the most dangerous weapon out there. All the while some guys are just so hot or cold, add to that your buddy KD is being a little beech.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Vogel can't make the shots or rebound the ball himself but he can plan for Luka Doncic- or at least I hoped he could but aside from okogie that was outright pathetic

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Plus NO ONE on our squad knows how to front a big? Long passes into the bigs in the lane for Dallas over and over tonight. Just once we couldn't get a guy to front a big and make the passes more difficult? :shrug:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The bright spots: Metu had 23 points, 19 rebounds, 2 assists and a steal. Allen had 32 points, 4 assists and a steal.
IDK if anyone plays golf. It's like when you are driving the ball well you can't putt. Then when you are putting well, you can't drive the ball.

We have our stars balling but no bench support. Tonight we get other guys to step up, but our starters have bad games.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A revolting lack of effort. This was all over tonight from Durant. On offense during the 4th he wasn't doing anything to get open, just standing around.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A revolting lack of effort. This was all over tonight from Durant. On offense during the 4th he wasn't doing anything to get open, just standing around.

Yep happened all night. Kd never came or switched out with book.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I casually followed the score until the start of the fourth quarter, when I turned on the television, so I saw the same meltdown everyone else did. It's just sad.

I had a thought, which I suppose is obvious, but for what it's worth: Since Booker is the only player who's been on the team for more than a year, he's the only one with any connection to the Suns' history. It isn't just that he's the only one who played in the 2021 Finals or suffered the Game 7 Mavericks blowout, but that he's the only one with any reason to care. For all the rest of these guys, the Suns were just another team that didn't win the last few years.

So you put them all together, and where is their passion supposed to come from? They aren't joining the "team" that had that recent history, because that team no longer exists. New coaching staff, new owner, only one returning player -- heck, even Al McCoy is gone. This roster is the "Phoenix Suns" because that's who's paying them, but there's nothing for them to have joined. It's just a random collection of players who have nothing to do with Phoenix or with one another.

The fans feel the connection, because nearly all of us were here for 2021 and 2022, and it doesn't feel that long ago. It was only 20 months ago that the Suns were the reigning Western Conference Champions and had the best record in the league by eight games. The expectations for this season were based as much on that history as they were on the roster. For us, it feels like yesterday, an opportunity that we weren't quite able to seize, but one that still has to be in reach -- doesn't it? But that history is irrelevant when there's only a single person in uniform who experienced it.

Basically you have Booker and a bunch of strangers trying to build a brand new Phoenix Suns team that, by dumb luck, is better than the last one. It wasn't an impossible dream, but expecting the players to believe in the quest was naive. For the most part, they don't know Booker, they don't know each other, and only a few of them have ever been relevant contributors to a contender. It's almost like an expansion franchise.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Embarrassing but well-deserved loss.

Other than Allen getting hot and hitting everything in the 3rd, DAL's defense and Doncic's offense did dominate the Suns.

Metu has shown that he is a valuable benchplayer.

Durant's turnovers mostly coming from pick-and-rolls where he is trying to give slow basic passes when competent defenses completely decoded his pick-and-roll playbook and are aware of his 2nd and 3rd intentions/options. I honestly don't understand what he is thinking and why the coaching staff doesn't fix that.

We did know before how to slow down Booker: he doesn't like tough on-ball defense on him, since he is not strong and physical enough to create proper separation and/or finish in traffic and/or sell Hardenesque pseudo-fouls.

But there is no excuse for Durant's passivity in defense and laziness in passing.

Last edited: