Mark Asher fired at KTAR

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm curious as to whether it was a KDUS decision or a Chuck decision. The KTAR FM job is probably a higher paying job so maybe it was his decision to leave.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
I love Wolf. Met the guy many times and he's a genuinely nice and down to earth person. Could listen to him all day, every day.

Better man up though before you shake his hand. He will crush bones in your hand if you aren't ready.

Love his enthusiasm and his passion. Way better than Gambo and his New York lovefest everyday.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Want to know why you are wrong? I will tell you in two minutes!!!!

Oh man, I HATE those teaser breaks.

Replacing Asher with Burns is like replacing a Mercedes with a bicycle.

Worst trend in radio, IMO.

And Franz sucks as well.

And while I am at it Calvisi is not really fun to listen to, either. Stop glossing yourself as "Pauly Pigskin" or whatever the nickname of the hour is.

Wolf and Jurecki are solid. Asher was great. True AZ sports fan who actually goes to games.

But yeah, Phoenix sports radio is starting to really suck.

Last edited:

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm curious as to whether it was a KDUS decision or a Chuck decision. The KTAR FM job is probably a higher paying job so maybe it was his decision to leave.

Chuck had said a few things in the past weeks that made it seem like he wasn't really happy with his career in sports and wanted to do something else. There were also a few signs that things were going down, too, like segments not being written, podcasts not being posted on time, etc. Just seemed kind of weird.

I'm not sure what happened, but it sucks that the show is gone. :(

Also, speaking of Bob Kemp, what's the deal with commercial where he complains of a show that "talks in riddles"? Isn't he talking in riddles when he is complaining of a show that talks in riddles? Which show is he talking about?

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
That sucks. I work overnights and drive home at 8am. Now there's no local sports to listen to.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, speaking of Bob Kemp, what's the deal with commercial where he complains of a show that "talks in riddles"? Isn't he talking in riddles when he is complaining of a show that talks in riddles? Which show is he talking about?

He is talking about Jim Rome and his annoying slang.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am confused, Chuck was still on the air and he said Vince left, but he was sticking around and not much would change. So, is Vince leaving for another job? Or is it Chuck? Anyway, if the show is going away all together, than at least it appears to be alive for a bit longer.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I am confused, Chuck was still on the air and he said Vince left, but he was sticking around and not much would change. So, is Vince leaving for another job? Or is it Chuck? Anyway, if the show is going away all together, than at least it appears to be alive for a bit longer.

I'm confused, too. Somehow Chuck is on the air right now and Vince is already off pursuing that infamous "other opportunity", but the only news online is that Chuck is leaving to start a show on 92.3.

Sounds like Chuck will be doing a few more weeks of the sports show by himself and then it is all over, but I'm not sure.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm confused, too. Somehow Chuck is on the air right now and Vince is already off pursuing that infamous "other opportunity", but the only news online is that Chuck is leaving to start a show on 92.3.

Sounds like Chuck will be doing a few more weeks of the sports show by himself and then it is all over, but I'm not sure.

Chuck is finishing out the month then leaving.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Okay, new idea. Let's pool our money and start the ASFN radio network. We can alternate the darksiders and kool-aiders hourly and take topics right off the website!

Ready? Go!

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I...HATE...DOUG!!!

If I have to hear one more condescending tease as they go into commercial, I am going to scream.

Our morning drive is soon to be devoid of local coverage.

Our afternoon drive is filled with guys better suited for the morning show.

AM Radio Sucks. Need to find a good music station, I guess.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I...HATE...DOUG!!!

If I have to hear one more condescending tease as they go into commercial, I am going to scream.

Our morning drive is soon to be devoid of local coverage.

Our afternoon drive is filled with guys better suited for the morning show.

AM Radio Sucks. Need to find a good music station, I guess.

Agreed... broke down and got satelite radio. Colin Cowherd is pretty darn good in the mornings and always has great guests.

Blows away Doug and Wolf, or any other mornng show Phoenix produced...

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, decided to give Doug and Wolf one more shot. Holy crap, it's just as bad if not worse than I remember. Holy crap Wolf right on queue..."my friends"...."when I played" and another annoying reference to his co-host "Doug-leese". Seriously?

Wolf is bad. Really bad.

Sucks because I met him at a cancer charity event. Really nice guy and very knowledgeable about football. He just sucks as a host.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
yeah - the other two stations were on break and I couldn't use my mp3 player as i was charging my phone.... i almost veered into the median on I-17 today

it was when he was droning on about beast mode in full schtick ..... not sure exactly the point they were trying to get at, but caught a lot of self promotion for their gimick days, a lot of nicknames, an overworked reference to the Celts, reference to his playing day and the things he misses, a weak tie into office life, weird way to address the greater audience and me scanning if either station was back from break ........ nope?

radio off for a few minutes

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Have you tried 1060AM lately?

Local sports talk all day...It's the best shows they have ever had.

While I have my views of Angel Velasquez that I'd just as soon keep to myself in regards to how she treats the part-timers; I also know that she's one who ALWAYS believed in airing live programming and paying more over the canned national crap to save a few bucks.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
On my evening commute home I listen to Bickley and MJ. I like the information I get from MJ, gave Wolf and Doug a shot, not really my cup of tea. I'm just thankful I can now get apps on my phone that allow me to listen to the PHX sports shows. Who is the best in your opinion?

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Ahemcostcuttingmeasureahem....

Wait, did I say that?
The sad part is, because they build the show from scratch each time (with the exception of Match Chuck) it usually takes Chuck and Vince about 6 monthes to really get the show going.

I will say that this newest version has fallen short of my expectations. I don't know if its because they were not happy with the situation or if it was the confines of the format (sports vs. music).

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OT: Mark Asher's Christmas proposal

Here's how Mark asked his girlfriend (Sammi) to marry him. He wrapped his old iPad and had this video ready to play when she opened it.

:thumbup:

:cool:

:newcards:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
and what does this have to do with the Cardinals, though the cliche country pop song does get my stomach sick like watching the Cardinals of late and Sammi is hot like Horton in his coaching prospects :D

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did put OT for off-topic. Local radio guy. Was a co-host of Gambo and Ash for over 12 years on KTAR 620 AM. Covered all the local sports including the Cards.

:newcards:

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I thought he was married to a Cards cheerleader??