Mariota, no thank you

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of Mariota over the past 2 years.

He's accurate, can zing it, makes good decisions, is calm under pressure and is lightning fast. What's not to like?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Manziel could drop to the top of the 2nd. Just curious why do you hate him? Oddly he is hardly ever compared to Russell Wilson.

Size and attitude.

Based on that though, I have no idea what kind of pro he will be.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
That makes sense. Considering no chance in hell he's ever in this team. Feel free to continue in your dream land. ;)

What if he shows up at the combine with a joint behind his ear? Or if

he comes out and says he is gay......:D

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
that same silly logic....but about "Jeff Tedford" QB's....is how Green Bay was able to draft Rodgers at #24.......Aaron appears to have worked out well....and dispelled the aura of ineptitude surrounding Tedford groomed QB's...

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I agree, I have watched several Duck games and I just come away with the impression he doesn't WOW me. He's got some skills in the running game, but I sure don't see the accuracy, and we may never see him have to overcome adversity.

he sure WOWS me. I have been hoping we take him.

seesred

Reaction score
We need a young QB in the first round that gives us real hope for the team going forward. I don't have a preference and until he is in camp none of us know what we will see. I just hope a great one is there when we pick.

GBR

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We need a young QB in the first round that gives us real hope for the team going forward. I don't have a preference and until he is in camp none of us know what we will see. I just hope a great one is there when we pick.

GBR

Amen

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He will be long gone by the time we pick so some of you naysayers won't have to worry. I think the dude is a stud, just my opinion.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because of their talent and the NFL's desperation, 6 could go 1st round. The last couple may have warts.

1. Mariota
2. Mettenberger
3. Mannion
4. Bridgewater
5. Manziel
6. Boyd

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Because of their talent and the NFL's desperation, 5 could go 1st round. The last couple may have warts.

1. Mariota
2. Mettenberger
3. Bridgewater
4. Boyd
5. Manzeil

I wouldn't touch Mettenberger....I see him every week living here in LA....he is playing well, but it all came on when he got Cam Cameron as a coach....point being,...he is already getting NFL coaching so he may be as good as he is ever going to get right now and he isn't facing NFL defenses......... plenty of college QB's look just as good, for longer periods...without the benefit of having an NFL coach on the staff,...and they will get better when the coaching level increases.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because of their talent and the NFL's desperation, 5 could go 1st round. The last couple may have warts.

1. Mariota
2. Mettenberger
3. Bridgewater
4. Boyd
5. Manzeil

I will throw a few more names in there. If there is a run on QB's, some may go higher than they should.

Brett Hundley
Derek Carr
A.J. McCarron

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch Mettenberger....I see him every week living here in LA....he is playing well, but it all came on when he got Cam Cameron as a coach....point being,...he is already getting NFL coaching so he may be as good as he is ever going to get right now and he isn't facing NFL defenses......... plenty of college QB's look just as good, for longer periods...without the benefit of having an NFL coach on the staff,...and they will get better when the coaching level increases.

Let's hold judgement until after LSU plays Alabama Nov. 9th. I would suggest that .as a conference, the SEC actually plays defense.

Reaction score

GBR

& that we pick him. :thumbup:

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kiper and McShay are saying that this could be one of the deeper QB classes we have seen in a while with 8 QB's getting 1st through early 3rd round grades.

The ones they have at the top are Mariota, Bridgewater, Hundley, Manziel, Mettenberger, McCarron, Miami's Stephen Morris and Virginia Tech's Logan Thomas.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kiper and McShay are saying that this could be one of the deeper QB classes we have seen in a while with 8 QB's getting 1st through early 3rd round grades.

The ones they have at the top are Mariota, Bridgewater, Hundley, Manziel, Mettenberger, McCarron, Miami's Stephen Morris and Virginia Tech's Logan Thomas.

According to the radio guys I heard last week they said that were 9 QB's that could grade out as legitimate 1st rounders this year.

I dont follow college ENOUGH to know but thought it was interesting.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's hold judgement until after LSU plays Alabama Nov. 9th. I would suggest that .as a conference, the SEC actually plays defense.

Which is why you should be higher on Manziel. Alabama is as close to a pro defense as you can get in college and he tore them apart twice. The second time was even more impressive when they spent more attention on him in the offseason than they had compared to any other QB of offense.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
According to the radio guys I heard last week they said that were 9 QB's that could grade out as legitimate 1st rounders this year.

I dont follow college ENOUGH to know but thought it was interesting.

Other than the ones I listed these guys are ones that could enter the picture based on their combine performance etc.

Georgia's Aaron Murray, Clemson's Tajh Boyd, Fresno State's Derek Carr, Ohio State's Braxton Miller, Eastern Illinois' Jimmy Garoppolo and San Jose State's David Fales.

Looks like a much better QB class than we saw in the last draft.

cardinalsfan

Veteran
Reaction score
Other than the ones I listed these guys are ones that could enter the picture based on their combine performance etc.

Georgia's Aaron Murray, Clemson's Tajh Boyd, Fresno State's Derek Carr, Ohio State's Braxton Miller, Eastern Illinois' Jimmy Garoppolo and San Jose State's David Fales. Looks like a much better QB class than we saw in the last draft.

I'd add Blake Bortles in there. He's been very impressive, but could chose to stay another year.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Murray is damn good...the only issue I have seen with him is arm strength...the deep balls float a lot as do some of the intermediate balls.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I can't take an Ohio St. fan seriously when it comes to their evaluation of QB play. Mariota and Manziel are STUDS and will be, far and away, the best two QBs in this draft. They won't be the only good ones, but they are the most ready to kick ass immediately. Manziel is already audibling into most plays at the LOS this year, ala Manning.

that makes a lot of sense. If I was a Clemson fan, I guess that would give me some validity.:rolleyes:

Has anyone actaully watched him? He is a very gifted athlete who does not make mistakes and has a very strong arm. You are comparing him to players are have limited skill sets while Mariota has a wide range of skill sets and IMHO is the complete package. He is a smarter Kaepernick. It is a moot point anyways since I think he is going #1 to the Jags and worst case, Philly will move up to #2 to grab him.
Akili Smith was a very good athlete with a strong arm too. Otherwise he never gets drafted top 5 overall.

I hope Kelly ties his NFL career to Mariota and trades up for him. Mariota is a great athlete. So is the entire NFL. So was Jamarcus Russell. I just don't see what, or how, Mariota is special. I see a lot more out of Bridgewater and Hundley because they play in a system more acclimated to the nfl.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that makes a lot of sense. If I was a Clemson fan, I guess that would give me some validity.:rolleyes:

Akili Smith was a very good athlete with a strong arm too. Otherwise he never gets drafted top 5 overall.

I hope Kelly ties his NFL career to Mariota and trades up for him. Mariota is a great athlete. So is the entire NFL. So was Jamarcus Russell. I just don't see what, or how, Mariota is special. I see a lot more out of Bridgewater and Hundley because they play in a system more acclimated to the nfl.

So let's avoid all QB's that are very good athletes and have strong arms.

All it takes is one game to see a world of difference between Akili and Mariota. You don't even have to look at the 56.6% career completion rate of Smith to see he is inferior to Mariota at the college level. Anybody can fail going from college to the pros but avoiding Mariota because of the failure of a few others from the same school is a lot like basing your decisions on superstition. You'll get one right every now and then but it's no way to run a football team. Now, if you've watched him play and are unimpressed, that's a different story.

Steve

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love watching Manziel!! I just won't miss watching A&M on Saturdays because of him. Just not sure if his game translates to the NFL, or if it does, how long his body will last. The dude is exciting to watch though. he would definitely put fannies in the seats. There may be 8-9 QB's going in the 1st round, but I'm not 100% sold on ANY of them. But there's no doubt we need to take one.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
JM wants the target on his chest. He's an egotistical, hyper-competitive maniac...

AND I LOVE IT!!

(I like Mariota too, he's really impressed me since I've been studying him these past couple weeks)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen