"Marion would welcome trade to Lakers"

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't understand it either.

If Suns really have to trade Marion - and it looks like they might - there are 27 other teams to call. I highly doubt Odom and Kirilenko are the BEST fits.

bingo. time to warm up the phone lines again.

damnit marion. i was big fan of yours. even when you went tortilla and drove me nuts i still thought you a vital cog in the team. and you screw us in the kg deal?!? are you freaking kidding me?!? if you do play, and i attend a game, i am booing you. no doubt about it. you get booed by at least one person . . . me. and now your bitching? after taking THE MOST SHOTS ON THE TEAM and earning THE MOST MONEY?!? what a freaking ***** you are!

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
odom + cook ain't bad

brian cook would kill in our system. he's basically the great outside shooting big guy. on offense it works perfect. defensively it would be tough when he's playing of course.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
both the lakers and jazz are being bent over publicly by their players and are in a far worse bargaining position. we should be raping them, not selling shawn for seemingly pennies on the dollar.

If Kerr gets hosed by Mitch Kupcake then there really would be no point in having a GM for this team. Just hire an accountant each offseason to manage the payroll.

Sunsman44

The Sunsman Defense Team
Reaction score
odom + cook ain't bad

brian cook would kill in our system. he's basically the great outside shooting big guy. on offense it works perfect. defensively it would be tough when he's playing of course.

Brian Cook is wasted space.

He is much too tall to play small forward or shooting guard for the Suns and if he were to play his natural power forward or even center position he would have no minutes. D'Antoni would be busy working Amare, Odom, Diaw, and Skinner in those slots.

If u are getting another player next to LaMar, you might as well get a Maurice Evans. Heck, I'd like Sasha too. Really annoys the opponents and gets under their skin. Nails 3pts too. Can backup Nash. Cheap.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

He is much too tall to play small forward or shooting guard for the Suns and if he were to play his natural power forward or even center position he would have no minutes. D'Antoni would be busy working Amare, Odom, Diaw, and Skinner in those slots.

If u are getting another player next to LaMar, you might as well get a Maurice Evans. Heck, I'd like Sasha too. Really annoys the opponents and gets under their skin. Nails 3pts too. Can backup Nash. Cheap.

i doubt the lakers would go for it, but i'd hold out for odom and walton. if marion's coming in to play the 3 full time then walton is redundant. that's the closest thing i could see to equal value. even then i'm not thrilled. but walton would fit this group's ball movement really well.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
odom + cook ain't bad

Exactly. In fact I would go from ain't bad to is pretty damn good (if odom is healthy). But I've always been extremely high on odom. A 6'10 guy who can post smalls and take bigs out on the floor. Remember how he murdered us in the playoffs 2 years ago.

Odom can be an absolute nightmare matchup, and he would be that nightmare as our 3rd guy!

We would basically force s.a. to go small, like dallas did, because they aren't gonna have someone who can guard him. If we make them go small we make it an open/offensive game, again like dallas did.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score

good points. however, i think cook gets minutes over skinner as he's a shooter and coach loves that. also think lamar would have to play some 3 regardless

also, with lamar, i think amare shoots up to near 30 ppg. its amare and 4 passers lol (nash, diaw, hill, odom). in fact, imo amare and barbosa are huge beneficiaries if this goes down.

mribnik

Reaction score
Man, that would just be too weird seeing Marion in another uniform. Imagine if the Suns traded him to the Lakers and the Suns played the Lakers in the first round again this year. Would the Lakers put Marion on Nash?

::head asplodes:::

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Quote:
"Regardless of everything that went on with the extension, I'm tired of hearing my name in trade rumors," Marion said. "It's time for me to move on. I felt like they tried to force my hand to Boston with the (Kevin) Garnett stuff."

I'm going to cry.

Okay, Marion apologists, spin this one.

#1. Marion doesnt need apologists defending him. He's played his guts out his entire career for the Suns and is a four time allstar that deserves a bit of respect.

#2. Marion had a right to say he's not going to resign with a team if he gets traded to a team he doesnt want to go to. KG was saying the same thing at the time....he wasnt thrilled with Boston either and was talking with the media about it.

#3. Marions name has been mentioned in numerous trade rumors over the years....more than any other Suns player (remember Tmac and Sheed deals?). I could see where that would get old and wear on a player. Especially on a player that was drafted and wants to finish his career as a Sun.....we supposed to hate on him for that?

Frankly, loyalty and respect are a two way street. Marion isnt the one sputing how he wants out of Phoenix. The Suns are the ones rumored to be wanting to deal him at every turn.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Better trade Marion before someone actually starts filming an interview like this youknowwhatiamsaying.

Just dont kill your own value Shawn.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
alright, here it is:

wait.

watch to see what happens with kobe. they're saying he's done with the lakers. he's not reporting to camp. if that happens, the lakers hand is forced. the suns don't have to do ANYTHING. they can just sit and wait.

if this does come to pass, offer marion + barbosa + atl pick. they'll want amare, they're not getting him. they're not getting a better package from anyone. their team immediately becomes 2nd round material and the ATL pick seems like a lock for top 5.

fisher/farmar
barbosa/vujacic
marion/walton
odom/vlad
bynum/mihm/kwame

that's damn good, good enough for 4/5 in the west with a lotto pick coming in next year.

meanwhile our bench is not so good, but

nash/banks
kobe/bell
hill/tucker
diaw/PJ (cause you KNOW he's jumping on this)
amare/skinner

btw on this, can you imagine the startup lineup intros for this team? i mean, how does it work? nash gotta be last, but kobe first or amare? maybe amare, hill, diaw, kobe, nash? mind-boggling.

if this doesn't come to pass, play out the season and see what happens. shawn is a bigger man than AK, and if he's got a chip on his shoulder, he actually plays BETTER anyways.

lamar is good, but that's not what we want. time to go for the big cheese.

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
^I think all that drama w/ Kobe and LA has passed. LA isn't trading Kobe, especially not for a 2nd fiddle type of player.

Odom and Marion would make a pretty lousy duo. Both of them are sidekicks, not hero's, that LA team would be a mess.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
^I think all that drama w/ Kobe and LA has passed. LA isn't trading Kobe, especially not for a 2nd fiddle type of player.

Odom and Marion would make a pretty lousy duo. Both of them are sidekicks, not hero's, that LA team would be a mess.

You'd like to think that, but just TODAY there was talk in the papers and on the radio that Kobe might not report to camp. So don't give me any of that "passed" junk. It's just starting. The Lakers still haven't done ANYTHING this summer, and now it's even frustrating Phil Jackson as well.

That's not to say that I think we can get Kobe--I don't. The Lakers might trade Odom to a division rival, but there is no way they'll trade Kobe Bryant to one.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Tonight at around 10 pm a local radio show here in LA said that the trade was pretty much a "done deal". Now what the exact trade specs were, I don't know--this is second-hand info from Laker fans. About 75% of Laker fans I've noticed are in favor of the trade (especially if it includes Brian Cook, who apparently has a nasty contract). They are unsure Marion would work in the triangle, but they say his defense alone would be worth the risk.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Umm they will be surprised if Marion has to guard Amare or Odom while on the other hand we stick a defender on his toes.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You'd like to think that, but just TODAY there was talk in the papers and on the radio that Kobe might not report to camp. So don't give me any of that "passed" junk. It's just starting. The Lakers still haven't done ANYTHING this summer, and now it's even frustrating Phil Jackson as well.

That's not to say that I think we can get Kobe--I don't. The Lakers might trade Odom to a division rival, but there is no way they'll trade Kobe Bryant to one.

When are the lakers supposed to report to camp?

cly2tw

Reaction score
Umm they will be surprised if Marion has to guard Amare or Odom while on the other hand we stick a defender on his toes.

Nash will get the assignment on Marion! It'd be even easier to beat the Lakers with this trade. :D

cly2tw

Reaction score
Also, for the Lakers deal, we need to do Marion, Banks, Pike for Odom, Cook, Evans. With Marion gone, we do need more wing defense in the likes of Evans.

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
Wow.

Just wow.

Where are athletes priorities these days?

How can anyone playing on a team that is on the cusp of the holy grail, turn around and say that it's time to part ways. It's just mind boggling. And it's not like we have guys on this team that mail it in from time to time. Everyone on the roster realises how close we are and play accordingly every night.

Whatever happened to playing to win? Does JJ and Shawn realise that some of the greatest players who played the game went their entire careers without getting a ring? I mean, Allan Houston and Penny are coming back for the sole fact that they never won a championship. Why does it take athletes an entire career before they realise that winning is everything.

Unbelievable.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wow.

Just wow.

Where are athletes priorities these days?

How can anyone playing on a team that is on the cusp of the holy grail, turn around and say that it's time to part ways. It's just mind boggling. And it's not like we have guys on this team that mail it in from time to time. Everyone on the roster realises how close we are and play accordingly every night.

Whatever happened to playing to win? Does JJ and Shawn realise that some of the greatest players who played the game went their entire careers without getting a ring? I mean, Allan Houston and Penny are coming back for the sole fact that they never won a championship. Why does it take athletes an entire career before they realise that winning is everything.

Unbelievable.

Marion isnt asking to leave...He's just basicly saying if he's dealt to the Lakers he's not going to fight it but embrace it. The Suns are the ones bailing on Shawn.

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
Why do you insist on being the other side of the argument everytime?

If the Suns are bailing on Shawn, I'd wager that it has more to do with the constant whinging and 'lack of respect' talk that they would've been putting up with for the last 3 years

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why do you insist on being the other side of the argument everytime?

If the Suns are bailing on Shawn, I'd wager that it has more to do with the constant whinging and 'lack of respect' talk that they would've been putting up with for the last 3 years

Oh yeah...Three years later and they had enough. His money and age have nothing to do with it at this point huh?

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
Oh yeah...Three years later and they had enough. His money and age have nothing to do with it at this point huh?

I said 'If' the Suns were bailing on Shawn. As far as we know for sure, the only time the've tried to deal Shawn was this offseason for KG. Which can be considered a great move from Phoenix's persepctive. Now it seems because of this nixed deal, Shawn feels the Suns have given up on him and now HE wants out

I don't understand how a guy who is the highest paid player on the team and takes the most shots, can feel he is being disrespected by his team after one solid trade proposal in nine years. Not to mention that this proposal was done after the three years of babyish behaviour.

Yes money and age play a role, but Phoenix are the ones who signed him to the monster contract. It's their right to refuse to give him an extension of the same magnitude.