Reaction score
Why would you say that??

Wait for it.........:D

Quote:
Marion says he'd welcome trade

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 25, 2007 08:07 PM
Discouraged after another summer of trade rumors involving him, Suns forward Shawn Marion said Tuesday night that he would welcome a trade to another team.

Marion, a four-time NBA All-Star and the Suns' highest-paid player, said the team has been unwilling to discuss a contract extension.

"I'm tired of hearing my name in trades," Marion said. "I love my fans in Phoenix, but I think it's time for me to move on."
This went up here and on phxsuns.net at 8:00pm, and Coro had something up by 8:07. That's quick work.
...Marion has been talking through the media and IMHO this thing can only get worse.

mribnik

Reaction score
I'm not sure how I'd feel about swapping Marion for Odom, but Odom actually gives the Spurs some trouble with his versatility. The Lakers have been pretty successful against the Spurs and Odom is a big part of that.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I smell a bill simmons article coming on about whining athletes... p.s. odom + turiaf ftw

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
so, what was that about people saying that Marion didn't kill a Celtics deal?

No kidding. Holy freaking expletive but what a disaster this summer was. First the Suns lose the ATL pick, then they have a blockbuster trade in place that Marion vetoes, and now Marion is saying he wants out anyway. This is a nightmare.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't like Odom on this team. As F-Dog said, he would be a poor defender against the few players Marion is really needed against (Nowitzki and McGrady being the headliners). Also as F-Dog said, combining Odom with Diaw to have two goofy, mentally suspect deferential playmakers is asking for big-time trouble.

mribnik

Reaction score
I don't like Odom on this team. As F-Dog said, he would be a poor defender against the few players Marion is really needed against (Nowitzki and McGrady being the headliners). Also as F-Dog said, combining Odom with Diaw to have two goofy, mentally suspect deferential playmakers is asking for big-time trouble.

I agree with Dirk and Tmac, but I think Odom has been pretty successful defending Duncan. I also agree with your comment about Diaw.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
i reserve judgement on this till we figure out more what happening. this is pretty big though.

the thing we now know for sure is that marion did kill the boston deal. i know a lot of people didn't know for sure one way or the other, but this makes it pretty clear.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it. Does anyone know how much Odom makes and how many years he has left under contract?

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
I agree with Dirk and Tmac, but I think Odom has been pretty successful defending Duncan. I also agree with your comment about Diaw.

well there's dirk, tmac, parker, kobe at times, LeBron, Rip hamilton, paul pierce who is now on a dangerous boston team, chris bosh at times, really any guy out there who isnt duncan. odem couldnt guard 90% of the people marion can

mribnik

Reaction score
Maybe I missed it. Does anyone know how much Odom makes and how many years he has left under contract?

I believe hoopshype said he had 2 years left at 13.5 and 14.6 mil or something very close to that. It's less than Marion, but if you consider how he averages missing 20 games a year and Marion is never injured, Marion is a better value.

mribnik

Reaction score
well there's dirk, tmac, parker, kobe at times, LeBron, Rip hamilton, paul pierce who is now on a dangerous boston team, chris bosh at times, really any guy out there who isnt duncan. odem couldnt guard 90% of the people marion can

Can't disagree with that.

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
This went up here and on phxsuns.net at 8:00pm, and Coro had something up by 8:07. That's quick work. :D

Ha ha, and don't you notice the AZ writers always say something like "Suns fans have been dying for a big man signing like Skinner". I don't think he's walking around the valley polling people. Saves himself time by visiting the boards and reading our rants.

I think they might be referring to the Ratliff, Filler, and pick deal. But if it is the KG deal that he killed, man what an cornholio!

mribnik

Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0925marion-ON.html

Marion: 'Time for me to move on'

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 25, 2007 09:30 PM
Shawn Marion trade talk is one thing. A Marion trade request is quite another.

Marion is fed up with another summer of the Suns considering to trade him. Marion is irked that the team is not willing to talk about a contract extension. After eight years in Phoenix, Marion wants to leave the Suns and has let the team know in recent weeks.

"I'm tired of hearing my name in trades," Marion said by phone from his Chicago home Tuesday night. "I love my fans in Phoenix but I think it's time for me to move on."

Marion, the highest paid Suns player, has two years remaining on his maximum-level contract - $16.4 million for this year and a $17.8 million salary if he did not opt out before the 2008-09 season. He said the Suns' unwillingness to extend his deal is "only a part of why" he wants to leave but would not confirm that he has asked for a three-year, $60 million extension, saying, "The numbers aren't important."

Suns General Manager Steve Kerr declined comment.

There are two known trade suitors in the Utah Jazz (for Andrei Kirilenko, if not others) and the Los Angeles Lakers (for Lamar Odom and a teammate), with Marion showing an interest in the latter because of a friendship with Kobe Bryant.

"Regardless of everything that went on with the extension, I'm tired of hearing my name in trade rumors," Marion said. "It's time for me to move on. I felt like they tried to force my hand to Boston with the (Kevin) Garnett stuff."

In June, there was the possibility of a three-way trade sending Garnett to Phoenix, a Boston pick package going to Minnesota and Marion to Boston with a contract extension but the Marion camp killed it.

"I haven't done anything wrong," said Marion, a four-time All-Star. "I leave it on the floor night in and night out. Sometimes, it's just time, and it's time to go. "It's been like a nightmare. It hurts me making this phone call. It's hurting me in my stomach."

Marion said he has no problem with any of his teammates but did not want to comment on the Suns staffers, saying, "It's just a bad marriage. I'm not talking about anyone. It's just time for me to go."

He said he has talked to Kerr, Coach Mike D'Antoni and Managing Partner Robert Sarver.

There is a strong possibility that no trade occurs this week and Marion is asked to come to work Monday, the mandatory reporting date, and join the quest for a championship.

"I'll do what I've got to do," Marion said, noting he would show up no sooner than required. "I'm a professional. I'm not bitter. I love the fans but I've got to take care of me."

With Boris Diaw expected to be in today, each Suns player but Marion will be in Phoenix this week for the voluntary workouts. Some, like Grant Hill, Steve Nash and Amaré Stoudemire, have been coming into the arena for weeks.

Marion, 29, pulled himself off the USA Basketball roster for a second straight summer this year. He cited the plantar fasciitis in his left foot ("I played all season with that," Marion said Tuesday) in early July, when talk of his dissatisfaction with the lack of extension talks began to surface.

In Kirilenko and Odom, the Suns are looking at versatile forwards with different skill sets and financial factors.

Kirilenko, who is even more disgruntled with Utah this summer, is a former All-Star coming off a career-worst season, but is a great defender with a knack for shot-blocking. He does not shoot well from the perimeter but is a crafty scorer inside at 6 feet 9 and can run the floor. Kirilenko, 26, is due $63 million over the next four years. That would give Phoenix some instant relief but create later payroll issues.

Odom, who is 6-10 and 27 years old, is a superb passer and good shooter who can play various positions but has been inconsistent, depending on how assertive he plays. Odom has two years remaining on his deal at $13.2 million this season and $14.1 million in 2008-09.

Last edited:

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
"Regardless of everything that went on with the extension, I'm tired of hearing my name in trade rumors," Marion said. "It's time for me to move on. I felt like they tried to force my hand to Boston with the (Kevin) Garnett stuff."

Nevermind, it was the KG Deal. Holy ****, we could have had KG and all we would have given up was Marion, ATL pick and filler. Damn you Shawn, damn you.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
the only problem is defensively

not worried offensively at all. i know that all the easy ones shawn gets would then go to amare, and the stupid shots would be taken by odom/nobody. our pace slows down, but we become more efficient.

our post defense becomes much better, our wing defense falls dramatically. our regular season win total drops by at least 5 games

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe hoopshype said he had 2 years left at 13.5 and 14.6 mil or something very close to that. It's less than Marion, but if you consider how he averages missing 20 games a year and Marion is never injured, Marion is a better value.

Thanks for the information. I'm not that high on a frequently injured Odom. May be if the Lakers threw in another player that has some some upside like Bynum. That's a lot of money to be tied up in a player that may not even be healthy. I did like Odom when he was younger.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

I'm going to cry.

Okay, Marion apologists, spin this one.

Sunsman44

The Sunsman Defense Team
Reaction score
It seems that all 3 options are bad:

#1- get Kirilenko (stinks compared to Marion)

#2- get Odom (stinks compared to Marion)

#3- keep Shawn knowing all season u will have a bad apple with a bad attitude causing detriment to the team as a whole. And if/when Suns lose, media will come back with the whole "Marion never wanted to be in Phoenix this year" story.

You lose any way u look. Just take the least painful blow. Pick 1, 2, or 3.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wish this could have happened before the draft so we could have got a good pick in return.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Anybody in L.A. listen to ESPN Radio?

Paul Coro was on and they spoke about Marion, etc.

Coro said he has valid sources that say Marion/LA talk have happened and that, "nobody is denying the trade."

I think something big may happen very soon. I smell Lamar and another guy (Cook, Evans, or Radmo) coming to the Valley shortly.

i heard the same. as much as i love odom, this trade scares the crap outta me. seems this team is always trading healthy players for injured players on the comeback and the comeback is never successful (hot rod, penny, etc.).

why does it also seem that most of the deals we're talking about are trading a perfectly healthy, albeit overpaid, all-star for players coming off injury (odom) or subpar seasons (kirelinko)? we're not really the ones with the overly disgruntled star (to this point). both the lakers and jazz are being bent over publicly by their players and are in a far worse bargaining position. we should be raping them, not selling shawn for seemingly pennies on the dollar.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Odom is a great fit for the Suns. He is a reasonably good post defender against the likes of TD and Dirk. For Kobe and TMac we need others to do the job. The only problem is that his skill set is too similar to Diaw's and it'd be better we trade one of them for a good wing player, like Caron Butler.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Get rid of this freaking prima donna moron. He's our Adrian Dantley - use him to get out Mark Aguirre and let's win the damn title already.

who do you see as our mark aguirre??? odom?? kirilenko? neither excites me. the more i think about it, the more i like marion . . . hummmmm

Sunsman44

The Sunsman Defense Team
Reaction score
i heard the same. as much as i love odom, this trade scares the crap outta me. seems this team is always trading healthy players for injured players on the comeback and the comeback is never successful (hot rod, penny, etc.).

why does it also seem that most of the deals we're talking about are trading a perfectly healthy, albeit overpaid, all-star for players coming off injury (odom) or subpar seasons (kirelinko)? we're not really the ones with the overly disgruntled star (to this point). both the lakers and jazz are being bent over publicly by their players and are in a far worse bargaining position. we should be raping them, not selling shawn for seemingly pennies on the dollar.

I don't understand it either.

If Suns really have to trade Marion - and it looks like they might - there are 27 other teams to call. I highly doubt Odom and Kirilenko are the BEST fits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoObstacles92