"Marion would welcome trade to Lakers"

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
http://http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=277553
By Sean Deveney, Sporting News
Posted September 25, 2007

Shawn Marion, L.A. Laker? If he has his way, that will happen.

According to a league source, the Lakers and Suns have been in discussions about a deal -- a blockbuster deal -- that would send the four-time All-Star to Los Angeles to play alongside Kobe Bryant. The Suns would get forward Lamar Odom and perhaps some salary-cap filler in return. The main obstacle appears to be Lakers owner Jerry Buss, who needs to OK the deal. Asked to handicap the likelihood of the deal going through, the source said, "50-50."

Upon hearing this, I caught up with Marion this afternoon by phone. He confirmed that he spoke with Bryant over the weekend, but added, "I've been friends with Kobe for a while, so we talk here and there, anyway."

Still, Marion was enthusiastic about the potential trade. "Why wouldn't I be?" he said. "You have a great organization, great ownership there with the Lakers. I don't see no problems with playing there."

This, it appears, would be a good fit for everyone. It has been a rocky summer for Marion and the Suns, who drafted him out of UNLV in 1999 but have been unwilling to give him a contract extension. Marion is the highest-paid player on the team, and he can opt out of the final year of his deal and become a free agent next summer.

One sticking point with the Suns was that Marion was told that if he does opt out, he will not be re-signed. Another goes back to before the draft, when the Suns had a deal in place to send Marion to the Celtics -- Boston had agreed to extend his contract if the trade went through. "I didn't like that," Marion said. "It was like they were trying to force my hand by taking the Boston deal. I have been with this team my whole career. I was like, 'Wow.' "

I asked if the team's refusal to give him an extension played into his unhappiness with the team. "It was part of it," Marion said. "It's not like that was the last straw or anything. It was just part of everything that has gone on. People have made assumptions about me, but I don't think all those people know everything that has gone on."

For the most part, though, Marion declined to talk about his unhappiness with the organization. "There's been things that have been said in the media, but I don't want to get into all that," he said. "That's not going to accomplish anything. Most people don't know what goes on behind closed doors. The way I look at it is, I love Phoenix, I love the fans. I love my teammates. Don't let anybody tell you that I don't. Some of the stuff that has happened is messed up. But pointing fingers and all that, I am bigger than that."

As for the potential Lakers-Suns trade, Odom would fit well in Phoenix's up-tempo offense. He is an excellent rebounder who can run the floor and handle the ball, like a point-forward. With the addition of small forward Grant Hill, the Suns clearly are looking to add players with ballhandling skill to take pressure off point guard Steve Nash, especially in the postseason.

Marion is not a classic big-man fit for Phil Jackson's triangle offense, which might be the source of the Lakers' hesitation. But, in some ways, he offers Jackson more than Odom, who has played alongside Bryant for three seasons. Both Odom and Bryant have put up nice numbers in those years, but the two just don't seem to mesh. Odom operates best running the floor and with the ball in his hands. But when you play for the Lakers, the ball is going to be in Bryant's hands. Odom has been professional about that, but this is a guy who has averaged 4.6 assists per game in his career. He belongs in a ball-sharing system.

Marion is different. He can excel without having plays called for him, and he gets the bulk of his points off turnovers and offensive rebounds -- in other words, he can be productive even if Bryant dominates the ball. He also can make 3-pointers and is a strong finisher. But the biggest difference will be Marion's defense. He's among the best defenders in the league, and he and Bryant should give the Lakers a fearsome pair of defensive wings. As important as the triangle is to Jackson, the most frustrating part of the coach's return to the Lakers in the last two years has been the team's shoddy defense.

Some will point to the Phoenix run-and-gun system when it comes to Marion's gaudy numbers (18.8 points and 10.0 rebounds in his career). But he had some of his best years when the Suns were a halfcourt team and Stephon Marbury was the point guard. And there also is this to consider: Marion is among the league's most durable players, missing just 15 games in those eight seasons. Odom is coming off shoulder surgery and missed four weeks with a sprained MCL last season.

"I think I would fit right in," Marion said. "People talk about the triangle offense all the time, like it is impossible. But it's an offense. Wherever you play, you have to learn the offense. It's not that complicated. You pass, you cut, you slash. Offense is offense. And I would love to play with Kobe."

Still, a change would be tough for Marion. "I wanted to retire a Phoenix Sun," he said. "That would be nice. I think everyone would like to play their whole career for the team that drafted them. But sometimes it comes to the point where you just have to take that step and move on. It's like a bad marriage. It doesn't matter who's right or wrong, both people should just move on."

Of course, there's just one catch: The Lakers might turn down the deal. That would mean that when training camp opens next Monday, Marion would still be with the Suns. Would he show up? "I am a professional," he says. "I will be where I am supposed to be."

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
All these years of Marion trade rumors, I've been on the fence. I don't know why exactly but I guess it was because he was OUR player. When we drafted him, people said "who?". Then he became the Matrix, a product of our favorite team. I always wanted to see him win a ring with this team.

Now, I'm starting to think that all that Nash talk about "some guys have to change their attitude" were squared directly at Marion. The media speculated that it was Amare's ego but now its become even more evident that Marion is a big ****ing baby who gets the shiniest toy then says its not good enough for him. Goodbye Marion, you were dope when you were about the team.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Why would you say that??

now i know we arent building our team especially to beat the spurs. we are who we are and we have to be able to beat every team out there. But am i the only one who sees marion for odom as a step backwards towards overcoming the spurs? if we had odom then we have to have nash on parker and bell on ginobili?nash on parker is a joke. who's going to play small forward for crying out loud? we cant expect grant hill to pick up all the minutes that marion played and we really dont have anyone else capable (unless you somehow throw barbosa or bell at the SF position). If the lakers throw in Mo evans or another wing, then yes. other than that, no.

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I'm an Amare guy and I don't care who knows it, but I agree with Marion here--let the personal stuff stay behind closed doors. We don't have the context to process it effectively.

Also, Marion will almost certainly be here for another season, and then the FO will have to work with him on a S&T next summer. The last thing the team needs now is a bunch of disgruntled fans calling for Marion's head...well, second-to-last thing, behind a teammate throwing Marion under the proverbial bus (as Deron Williams so unwisely did with AK).

On the court, I like Odom less than AK. The Suns lose their Dirk stopper here, and I think the Odom/Diaw pairing would be a nightmare. :shrug:

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Almost every discussion about Marion comes down to how useful he is at the things he does well and how frustrating he is due to the stuff he doesn't. Unfortunately, some of the stuff he does well is not easy to replace.

At his price, you'd expect to get it all.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The question is, do the lakers want marion? If so let's get this thing done.

Btw, as much as I kill marion it would be sad to see him go because he has been here his whole career. But from a basketball/financial standpoint I do this.

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Marion says he'd welcome trade

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 25, 2007 08:07 PM
Discouraged after another summer of trade rumors involving him, Suns forward Shawn Marion said Tuesday night that he would welcome a trade to another team.

Marion, a four-time NBA All-Star and the Suns' highest-paid player, said the team has been unwilling to discuss a contract extension.

"I'm tired of hearing my name in trades," Marion said. "I love my fans in Phoenix, but I think it's time for me to move on."

This went up here and on phxsuns.net at 8:00pm, and Coro had something up by 8:07. That's quick work. :D

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
After all the years and all the rumors is it FINALLY going down?

I think it all depends on if the lakers want to make the deal.

Sunsman44

The Sunsman Defense Team
Reaction score
Anybody in L.A. listen to ESPN Radio?

Paul Coro was on and they spoke about Marion, etc.

Coro said he has valid sources that say Marion/LA talk have happened and that, "nobody is denying the trade."

I think something big may happen very soon. I smell Lamar and another guy (Cook, Evans, or Radmo) coming to the Valley shortly.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
how about Marion and Barbosa for Kobe Bryant??? I really like the sound of that.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
D'Antoni has a man crush on Vlad but he makes 23 million over 4 years.

I would love cook, a big man who can pick and pop out to three range.

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Oh, and one more thing: IMO the Lakers aren't making this trade, or any trade where they don't bend somebody over. Their front office is made up of yes-men and other headless chickens.

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I can't imagine the Suns taking Radman and his contract, but they'd probably take Cook if they need to in order to make the numbers work.

D'Antoni has a man crush on Vlad but he makes 23 million over 4 years.
Not sure where you get that. D'Antoni planted Barbosa on him in the playoffs two years ago, back when Leandro was the club's worst defender. :shrug:

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ugh, the more I think about why would phil want marion in the triangle?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, what was that about people saying that Marion didn't kill a Celtics deal?

Get rid of this freaking prima donna moron. He's our Adrian Dantley - use him to get out Mark Aguirre and let's win the damn title already.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
so, what was that about people saying that Marion didn't kill a Celtics deal?

Get rid of this freaking prima donna moron. He's our Adrian Dantley - use him to get out Mark Aguirre and let's win the damn title already.

Dude, it has always been clear to me if marion took a boston extension kg would be a sun. Period.

People arguing the salary stuff don't know what they're talking about, as kurt would have also been dropped and garnett would have taken a reasonable extension here.

He cost us kg, lets hope we can at least get a middle class man's kg in lamar.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Where do you get that? Vlad is a less talented Tim Thomas with a larger contract and injury concerns.

Weren't they always trying to trade for him when he was with seattle? I also think gambo has mentioned that (take that for what it's worth).

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Weren't they always trying to trade for him when he was with seattle? I also think gambo has mentioned that (take that for what it's worth).

Never heard that one. I remember the Suns were trying to get Wilcox before he was traded to Seattle for Vlad.