Marbury lights up Seatle in NY

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
Steph has 17 assists in 4th qtr and would have about 25 if teamates would have made shots or not dropped the ball. I'm not sure how many points he has - probably 8, but NY is about 25 points ahead & Steph goes to the bench for rest. Good for Marbs!:thumbup:

OP
OP
W

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by slinslin
His team is shooting only 53%FG 50%3s and you are complaining about not making shots?

I'm not complaining, just stating what I see..... the announcers agree with me too. Probably I've inflated the number of misses a wee bit.;)

se7en

Go SUNS Go
Reaction score
Marbury only takes 6 shots and dishes out a whopping 17 assists????? And appears to have really gotten his teamates involved in a blowout... Why the hell couldn't he do that here? Sheesh...

dyle_ph1

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by se7en
Marbury only takes 6 shots and dishes out a whopping 17 assists????? And appears to have really gotten his teamates involved in a blowout... Why the hell couldn't he do that here? Sheesh...

Because his teammates could actually shoot jumpers?

Seriously, sorround marbury with good jump shooters (van horn, houston, thomas, even doleac) and he'll definitely rack up assists from his penetration.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dyle_ph1

Seriously, sorround marbury with good jump shooters (van horn, houston, thomas, even doleac) and he'll definitely rack up assists from his penetration.

That's right. As someone this message board have already pointed out the Phoenix Suns haven't been able to surround their point guards with the right players. Unlike others I don't think that's always been the fault of management.

Every point guard needs some guys who can shoot and make jump shots, but Jason Kidd would have benefited from playing with team's athletes. Marbury would have been better playing with Cliff Robinson, Rodney Rogers, and Rex Chapman.

Oh well. How about that Joe Johnson tonight?

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

After the trade I predicated that Stephon would thrive with the Knicks players. The Suns are a lot more athletic but the Knicks have better jump shooters. My only concern is that he will do too well and screw up the draft pick. :D

King A

Registered
Reaction score
yeah, if he keeps it up he will lead the league in assists by the end of the season. talk about marbury selfish.
The media will finally get it that he isn't and it will raise his value. think of Andre Miller after his 10.8 assts/gm season with cavs

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by King A
yeah, if he keeps it up he will lead the league in assists by the end of the season. talk about marbury selfish.
The media will finally get it that he isn't and it will raise his value. think of Andre Miller after his 10.8 assts/gm season with cavs

Marbury gets his assists from penitraton and kick out passes. He'd have had a bunch of assists in Phoenix if the Suns were a jump shooting team. They aren't and instead opponents simply stacked the inside, daring him to take jumpers.

Personally, I think the Suns are better off running a more orthodox pass/move offense that is much less dependent on PG penitration. It certainly fits the Suns skill set.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Exactly!

PhiLLmattiC

Last of a Dying Breed
Reaction score
Originally posted by George O'Brien
Marbury gets his assists from penitraton and kick out passes. He'd have had a bunch of assists in Phoenix if the Suns were a jump shooting team. They aren't and instead opponents simply stacked the inside, daring him to take jumpers.

Personally, I think the Suns are better off running a more orthodox pass/move offense that is much less dependent on PG penitration. It certainly fits the Suns skill set.

Didn't FJ try that before and none of the players were able to get it. Motion Offense...

OP
OP
W

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by PhiLLmattiC
Didn't FJ try that before and none of the players were able to get it. Motion Offense...

In name only - nobody moved....... beter named No-motion offense.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wally
In name only - nobody moved....... beter named No-motion offense.

Terminology is very confusing. A year ago, he tried to put in the triangle which is sometimes described as a motion ofense, but is a very specific form. Triangle is very complicated and generally young players have trouble with it (notice how few rookies thrive with the Lakers?)

There are many other forms of motion such as what the Nuggets run or what the Kings run. The Kings run a classic high post with quick perimeter passing and lots of cutters. I'm not sure exactly how to describe the Nuggets offense, but they run even more cutters than the Kings.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison