Malcom Butler signed

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
So ARZ supposedly did not like the CB's available at the beginning of FA, Fuller & Jackson became available and ARZ signs Butler who was available all this time. Sounds like Keim got desperate or got turned down by everyone else.

i think there is a "for the money required" qualifier in there

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really like the quality of guys the Cards are adding. Butler, Watt, Green, Hudson, Golden etc all have some dog in them. Also something this team has been missing. More Crufts than Junk Yard.

If that's the kind of guy they are looking for then Horn may be the pick. I read he's a real A-hole on the field. Loads of goading WR's. Hits them in the face, drives them on tackles. Really gives everything he's got.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
i think there is a "for the money required" qualifier in there
Reports are Butler's deal could reach $6M. I think that's the amount radio guys were saying was supposedly offered to Peterson.

Rhodes signed for about $6.5M to stay with IND. Other than Griffin & Jackson no other CB broke the bank with a multi year deal.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So ARZ supposedly did not like the CB's available at the beginning of FA, Fuller & Jackson became available and ARZ signs Butler who was available all this time. Sounds like Keim got desperate or got turned down by everyone else.

does it sound desperate? Or like a guy who wasn’t willing to pay the over inflated prices those guys were getting? Paying 3 1/2 million for Butler sure doesn’t sound like desperation to me… AT ALL

good signing

Last edited:

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Love this signing. Living in Nashville and do watch some Titans games. The man can still play. He can tackle and leads on the field. I will eat crow on this one and hats off to Keim. A secondary of Butler, Horn and Murphy would be a huge improvement over last year.
A secondary of Larry, Curly, and Moe would be an improvement also.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
They build their top 150 based upon what players fit their scheme and can make their roster. This is how they reduce a pool of 500 players to 150. Now this leaves them with a number of players clustered in terms of grades. Most teams build their boards both vertically and horizontally. They may only have 15 guys with first round grades depending on the draft class. If those 15 players are gone, they will try to trade back but if not, they will take a player at the top of their next tier.

Where I was involved we would create 8 vertical segments. One for each round and one for UDFAs. Five rounds on one wall. 3 on the adjoining wall. Each segment would list the players in that category, in left to right rows. Few rows in round one, growing in each succeeding round. These were BPA ranks.

We listed players we wouldn’t take (unless we needed a QB), like a round 1 QB, but strictly as BPA, not because they were QBs.

Red flags for drugs, coach-ability and off-field issues weren’t on our board unless specifically requested by a coach or personnel director. Medical red flags were the bottom row in each category. Could be 500 guys but sometimes fewer.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does it sound desperate? Or like a guy who wasn’t willing to pay the over inflated prices those guys were getting? Paying 3 1/2 million for Butler sure doesn’t sound like desperation to me… AT ALL

good signing

It sounds like excellent GMing. He stayed in his price range and got an improvement on what he had.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This was a good value signing. He played much better last year than Peterson. Peterson would not have signed for this money. Butler made $10mil last year and was asking $8mil when FA started. Butler is a smart guy who has lost a step but made a good set of positioning and style adjustments. He gets along well with most of the refs. He plays the ball aggressively, which should produce turnovers with the new pass rush. He’s solid in run support. This position is better than last season. If they get lucky and catch a decent CB in the draft they could be fairly sound.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A secondary of Larry, Curly, and Moe would be an improvement also.

May be true. But without seeing their 40 times I am not totally sure. I believe Moe can tackle. Curly would have problems with speed receivers and Larry is injured too often for my liking.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This offseason has definitely exceeded my expectations, so exciting to see the organization's win-now mentality

You must be registered for see images attach
such a good movie. Fell asleep rewatching it the other night.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

good signing

Yeah this is how you AREN'T desperate. You wait for his price to drop.

As I've said from the beginning, the pool of corners were all about the same level in ability. Why pay 14 million when you can pay 3 million?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Butler is a good stop gap however since it's a one year contract there is a decent chance you are back in the same situation next year. Is this Keim's plan try to fill starting positions with one year stop gap contracts and hope they always work out?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Butler is a good stop gap however since it's a one year contract there is a decent chance you are back in the same situation next year. Is this Keim's plan try to fill starting positions with one year stop gap contracts and hope they always work out?

maybe that’s just the plan with the low Covid cap this year. Seems like a ton of guys are signing one year deals.