Lyle Overbay

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
I have a bad feeling about this guy. I think he is in over his head. Grace will start at first before to long, and I believe gives us our best option. Grace is ten times better defensively and will be more consistent offensively. I don't see the sweet swing that people say Overbay has. He lunges at the ball one at bat and hits off his back foot in others. His feet are together when the bat is in the hitting zone. You can't generate gap power that way. This guy is going to be a bust. Travis Lee had a much smoother swing than Overbay and we all know how lousy he was. I can see the Diamondbacks trading for a 1st baseman before the year is out. This team is going to struggle to score runs this year. We need a big thumper in the 3 hole. Junior is good, but, he is not a 3 hole hitter for a team that has visions of a World Series championship.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Do you think you could give him at least a week before you give up on him? I imagine he's pressing.

Okay Zenny, you can comment that you'd have more confidence that he can turn it around if Dwayne Murphy wasn't the hitting coach.
:eek:

AZZenny

Reaction score
Moi?! :D You just said it for me. I agree with Mark - half the time when I have watched Lyle, he has a swing with sort of a "oops/whatever" follow-through before he's even done - Just not strong. Probably what Mark was describing more technically. Yet everyone has said the guy really knows how to hit. Not since he's come to the big club he hasn't; so maybe he's picked up some bad habits; wonder how that happened?? On a couple occasions, he has displayed a pretty, level swing, but not at all consistently. (If it's nerves, somebody give the kid a Valium, fast.)

Btw - wasn't a big deal made off-season of Matt Williams supposedly simplifying and changing his whole pre-swing shoulder-biting waggle? Looks pretty much unchanged to me.

sLanidRaC

Rookie
Reaction score
On Matty..

I'm not sure, but I know he used to do it to remind himself to keep his front shoulder in an stay down on the ball, not open up an flail through the swing. As far as him changing it, I haven't the slightest. Do whatcha like, as long as it works..

Agreed.. We can give Lyle a lil slack. He is a rook after all. He'll come around. That, or he'll be batting 8th and/or playing here in Tucson again.. Doh!

AZZenny

Reaction score
Ahem...Gee, I sure am glad we kept Mark Grace. The man passes Babe Ruth on the all-time doubles list and starts the tenth inning rally. So there!! :p

I've seen enough of Lyle for awhile. It's not just two games, it's also been 6 weeks of ST. It's time to play Grace - and why the heck isn't Counsell starting**? Why the heck wasn't Baerga pinch-hitting in the ninth? Did BB forget who gets 'er done, AGAIN??

**After what happened with JPat and CC, I'd be real wary anytime Brenly says someone has a lock on a starting spot. Guy needs to watch the promises he makes publically, if he isn't absolutely certain he will keep them.

Last edited:

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Go

Originally posted by AZZenny
Ahem...Gee, I sure am glad we kept Mark Grace. The man passes Babe Ruth on the all-time doubles list and starts the tenth inning rally. So there!! :p

I've seen enough of Lyle for awhile. It's not just two games, it's also been 6 weeks of ST. It's time to play Grace - and why the heck isn't Counsell starting**? Why the heck wasn't Baerga pinch-hitting in the ninth? Did BB forget who gets 'er done, AGAIN??

**After what happened with JPat and CC, I'd be real wary anytime Brenly says someone has a lock on a starting spot. Guy needs to watch the promises he makes publically, if he isn't absolutely certain he will keep them.

Give Overbay a chance. You dont' killl pitching at every level without being able to hit. He's pressing, give him time. If we stick to veterans who just "get by" then this team will never improve. Overbay is the 1st baseman of the future, and he won't be able to improve from the bench. It's been 2 games, he hasn't faced any of these pitchers before. Give him a chance to get used to the pitching before you want him benched.

adam
________
SAUTEING

Last edited:

outcent

Rookie
Reaction score
haven't seen any games but maybe the Dbacks should send him down for a week or two(Overbay) and let him get his confidence back against weaker pitching. Then maybe he comes back not pressing realizing its still just a game no matter what level. Talks about Ruby and Overbay are premature seeing a sthere are still 150 someodd games left. Ruby might get 40 and 100( I hope he does) but Overbay might drive in 100 and score a bunch more(again I hope he does) Lets just see in Sept. GO DBACKS!

BOB_Man24

Go Cats!
Reaction score
the whole dbacks lineup is having trouble so why blame it on overbay. Maybe if other veterans started to hit, Overbay will!!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison