Looks like Fulham is getting another American

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
McBride scores one and Fulham is now out of the drop zone with only one match left! Unfortunately, I still think they go down. They are level on points with Reading (I think) and are only out of the drop zone because of goal differential. Fulham has a tough game vs Portsmouth to end the season, but Reading gets Derby (I think). Not a good scenario. I hope they make it.
True, but Portsmouth have nothing to play for either and Reading haven't scored for ages now.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
True, but Portsmouth have nothing to play for either and Reading haven't scored for ages now.

That's true. Goal differntial is the first tiebreaker, right? If so, that means all Fulham needs to do is make sure Reading doesn't get as many points as they do. If they both lose, Fulham advances, and it's the same if they both draw or both win. But if Fulham loses and Reading at least draws, which is a believable scenario, Fulham goes down. Right?

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
That's true. Goal differntial is the first tiebreaker, right? If so, that means all Fulham needs to do is make sure Reading doesn't get as many points as they do. If they both lose, Fulham advances, and it's the same if they both draw or both win. But if Fulham loses and Reading at least draws, which is a believable scenario, Fulham goes down. Right?

Yes, Fulham need to get the same result as Reading, or better, to stay up. Fulham has a 6 goal lead over Reading in goal differential.

Fulham control their own destiny, if they win then they are safe.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
great result for Fulham at the weekend.

I know all you lot have a soft spot for them so lets hope they do the business against pompy.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I thought it was impossible but Fulham didn't get relegated. Now that team needs to seriously upgrade their roster.

I'm guessing Bocanegra is gone during the summer transfers. McBride is supposedly undecided about 1 more year in the EPL or going back to MLS for a couple of seasons before retiring. The only American we know for sure will be back is Dempsey.

Reading is relegated and Convey didn't even dress today. He has had a bad season, maybe he never fully recovered from his injury. He'll likely move on but I doubt it will be to another EPL club, he just doesn't have a lot of value right now. Feilhaber of course didn't get much of any playing time for Derby this year, it'll be interesting to see if he moves on as well and if he does where to.

Should be an exciting transfer season coming up for Americans.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I thought it was impossible but Fulham didn't get relegated. Now that team needs to seriously upgrade their roster.

I'm guessing Bocanegra is gone during the summer transfers. McBride is supposedly undecided about 1 more year in the EPL or going back to MLS for a couple of seasons before retiring. The only American we know for sure will be back is Dempsey.

Reading is relegated and Convey didn't even dress today. He has had a bad season, maybe he never fully recovered from his injury. He'll likely move on but I doubt it will be to another EPL club, he just doesn't have a lot of value right now. Feilhaber of course didn't get much of any playing time for Derby this year, it'll be interesting to see if he moves on as well and if he does where to.

They will all be back in MLS.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score

The rumor is Fulham want to upgrade the Keeper position. Keller is out of contract, Niemi still has a year left, so Kasey may be let go.

McBride has said in the past he wants to retire after going back to MLS. It will depend on how many years he feels he has left.

Bocanegra is out of favor with the current manager and may be let go.

Dempsey and EJ are still under contract but may be transfered to gain money used to completely change the squad.

Still, it was great to watch the Americans have such a vital role in the great escape. McBride's goal last week and Keller's Man of the Match performance today was very exciting.

:thewave:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
They will all be back in MLS.

Unless MLS fixes their salary structures I doubt all of them will be back. I could see McBride coming back and Keller maybe going to the new Seattle franchise but I expect the others to keep playing overseas.

I still can't believe there are pro soccer players starting & making $33K a year in MLS. Thats terrible.

Thats why average MLS players have signed with lower tier European leagues in Norway, Austria & Denmark (Like Jacqua for instance)...they get paid at least twice their MLS salaries.

OP
OP
gr000000vy

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
i think mcbride has to come back for another season, he is just too good... dempsey and ej will play for fulham next season unless EJ gets transferred.. Carlos will most likely come back to the mls but i hope he latches on to a championship club.... Keller is a capable back up for Fulham if they get a new keeper...

What a great day... Man U wins teh title and Fulham stay up!!! Woo Hooo!!!!!!!!!

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Unless MLS fixes their salary structures I doubt all of them will be back. I could see McBride coming back and Keller maybe going to the new Seattle franchise but I expect the others to keep playing overseas.

I still can't believe there are pro soccer players starting & making $33K a year in MLS. Thats terrible.

Thats why average MLS players have signed with lower tier European leagues in Norway, Austria & Denmark (Like Jacqua for instance)...they get paid at least twice their MLS salaries.
I believe it.
Until MLS teams pull a profit salaries will be low. But American National team players would get paid in MLS.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I believe it.
Until MLS teams pull a profit salaries will be low. But American National team players would get paid in MLS.
I don't mind the fact that the MLS ian't paying too much at the moment. It is being sensible about it all and seeing that it is doing well still, i'm glad they are sticking to their guns.

OP
OP
gr000000vy

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
I don't mind the fact that the MLS ian't paying too much at the moment. It is being sensible about it all and seeing that it is doing well still, i'm glad they are sticking to their guns.

You don't mind that there are some players who are making about 15k a yr? Sure they can pick other places to work... but what is happening is that the better players are starting to choose USL or lower leagues outside of the MLS and that isn't good for our game here...

I have a friend who played for the Rapids for about 2-3 yrs and then walked out after he was not given a senior roster spot and they wanted him to play for like 17k.... he grabbed his back pack and is now playing for some lower league in Germany and making more then double or triple what he could have made here and that is sad.....

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You don't mind that there are some players who are making about 15k a yr? Sure they can pick other places to work... but what is happening is that the better players are starting to choose USL or lower leagues outside of the MLS and that isn't good for our game here...

I have a friend who played for the Rapids for about 2-3 yrs and then walked out after he was not given a senior roster spot and they wanted him to play for like 17k.... he grabbed his back pack and is now playing for some lower league in Germany and making more then double or triple what he could have made here and that is sad.....
It's not ideal but MLS is in it for the long run. They aren't going to do it like they did in the 70s/80s throwing money away. They want to become one of the best leagues in the World. Although they will probably never be at the same level of the leagues in England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France they can certainly be one of the next best.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It's not ideal but MLS is in it for the long run. They aren't going to do it like they did in the 70s/80s throwing money away. They want to become one of the best leagues in the World. Although they will probably never be at the same level of the leagues in England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France they can certainly be one of the next best.

I'm no fan of super contracts in any sport, but I have to fall on the other side on this one. It sounds like the league is vastly underpaying. About the only lure of the MLS is coming to America, but that isn't enough to overcome such poor wages as have been described in this thread. I mean, that's below poverty level for crying out loud.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'm no fan of super contracts in any sport, but I have to fall on the other side on this one. It sounds like the league is vastly underpaying. About the only lure of the MLS is coming to America, but that isn't enough to overcome such poor wages as have been described in this thread. I mean, that's below poverty level for crying out loud.

Right there with you! I'm not saying minimum salaries should be in the 6 figure range but what is so wrong about having a minimum salary of around $50-60k versus $30k which is the minimum for a player on the full squad. Developmental contracts are something else entirely and aside from the love of the game making $17k a year is ridiculous when a guy can probably make more in Walmart.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Just as an example this was the salary for the Chicago Fire last year, full squad & reserve/developmental team.

First number is base pay second number is guaranteed.

F Blanco, Cuauhtemoc $2,492,316 $2,666,778
M Armas, Chris $225,000 $225,000
D-M Guerrero, Ivan $160,000 $187,500
M Bedrossian, Pascal $175,008 $185,008
M Mapp, Justin $130,000 $136,000
M Gutierrez, Diego $126,500 $126,500
D Curtin, Jim $120,750 $120,750
D Brown, C.J. $106,391 $106,391
D Soumare, Bakary $45,000 $78,000
F Rolfe, Chris $70,000 $74,200
M Pause, Logan $69,300 $69,300
GK Busch, Jon $58,008 $58,008
D Segares, Gonzalo $48,300 $50,800
F Carr, Calen $38,000 $50,500
F Barrett, Chad $41,213 $48,713
M Correa, Thiago $44,100 $44,100
D Robinson, Dasan $42,500 $42,500
D Telesford, Osei $36,000 $36,625
GK Pickens, Matt $32,340 $32,340
M Plotkin, Brian $30,000 $30,000
M Franks, Floyd $17,700 $17,700
M Banner, Michael $12,900 $12,900
D Curtin, Jeff $12,900 $12,900
D Hort, Erik $12,900 $12,900
GK Noble, Nick $12,900 $12,900
D Russolillo, Jordan $12,900 $12,900
M Woolard, Daniel $12,900 $12,900

OP
OP
gr000000vy

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
Fulham FC announced this morning that U.S. international Carlos Bocanegra has been released by the west London club.

Bocanegra sat on the sidelines for most of the 2007/2008 season and wasn’t favored by new manager Roy Hodgson. Bocanegra did however captain Fulham for the first time in a Premier League match in September 2007 against Spurs, and made his 100th Premier League appearance that same month in a match against Wigan Athletic.

Prior to signing for Fulham, Bocanegra played for Major League Soccer team Chicago Fire.

Other players released by Fulham today are Jari Litmanen, Philippe Christanval, Simon Elliott, Ian Pearce, Michael Timlin, Ismael Ehui and Bjorn Runstrom.

Bummer... I see Carlos coming back to the MLS, but hopefully he lands a spot with another prem team....

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Bummer... I see Carlos coming back to the MLS, but hopefully he lands a spot with another prem team....

I doubt he'll be back to MLS in the next couple of seasons. He may not stay in the EPL but I wouldn't be shocked if he was in Holland, Germany or Italy.

Its really a surprise he fell out of favor with Fullham, he has been our best and most consistent performer for the nats the past few months or so.

OP
OP
gr000000vy

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
Its really a surprise he fell out of favor with Fullham, he has been our best and most consistent performer for the nats the past few months or so.

Yea i think this was said BEFORE the USA/England match up.... Granted Carlos is not as bad as he played that game, but I find it hard to believe a prem team saw something in him... I actually think it would be great to go to Leeds Utd, sure its league 1 but think of the experience he would get in that surrounding....

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yea i think this was said BEFORE the USA/England match up.... Granted Carlos is not as bad as he played that game, but I find it hard to believe a prem team saw something in him... I actually think it would be great to go to Leeds Utd, sure its league 1 but think of the experience he would get in that surrounding....
I would be over the bloody moon if he joined the mighty Leeds!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn