Locker room talk. What the team is saying after the game. 10/27/19

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Disagree. If you didn't see how that game was going, I guess I can see your point, but our defense dying by paper cuts that whole game. Kingsbury put his faith in the team and they let him down. Kyler with a bad pass and the offensive line with not being able to move the defensive line. IMO, the TD that the Saints scored was inevitable.
I saw how the game was going and it's still a maybe at the end of the day.. you still had a game that could turn on a dime. Freak turnover or int that occured earlier in the game.. we can agree to disagree though. It just didn't feel right to me at that point in the game.. now if we were down a two possessions it would make more sense to me personally.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kent Somers (@kentsomers)
10/27/19, 2:11 PM
Kingsbury doesn’t regret 4th down call at all. Said he felt offense had to do something at that time.
Call me as dumb as KK but I immediately said out loud go for it. I felt apparently like KK that we needed to make something happen.

The Saints have dismantled just about everybody they played. Everyone on this board claimed all we wanted was. For us to be competitive. We were competitive for a while.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Call me as dumb as KK but I immediately said out loud go for it. I felt apparently like KK that we needed to make something happen.

The Saints have dismantled just about everybody they played. Everyone on this board claimed all we wanted was. For us to be competitive. We were competitive for a while.
Yup, right until kk made the decision to lose the competitive balance by giving a team who had consistently stopped our run game all day a short field for their waking offense to capitalize on against our soft defense and suck all semblance of hope outa the entire team.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Does KK not regret going for it or not regret calling a horrible play?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Agree with many...... The play was the big issue. We had a couple of those.

Also, Brees in shotgun really moves his hands as a way to fake the snap. Never called

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Throw the analytics in the trash along with the 2pt conversition chart
Analytics should be a single data point in making decisions, not a hard and fast rule. Analytics don’t know the saints personnel. Analytics don’t know the weakness of your game on a particular day. Analytics can’t feel momentum.

all this and I’m an analytics fan. But they can’t be the be all to end all.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyle Odegard (@Kyle_Odegard)
10/27/19, 2:15 PM
Kliff Kingsbury not second-guessing fourth down attempt. “The analytics plus myself, I was all for that.”
I was against the move, but could understand it.

My problem is how the team handled the adversity. After they failed to convert the 4th down, all the air was sucked out of the Cardinal side of the field. It was as ithough Steve Wilks' zombies had returned to the scene.

Nothing wrong with being a river boat gambler, but part of risk is the possibility of failure. It only works if your team can brush off adversity and move on to the next challenge. Fragile egos on a young team got in the way of our regaining momentum. We've got to change all that.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree. If you didn't see how that game was going, I guess I can see your point, but our defense dying by paper cuts that whole game. Kingsbury put his faith in the team and they let him down. Kyler with a bad pass and the offensive line with not being able to move the defensive line. IMO, the TD that the Saints scored was inevitable.

Not buying it the score was 10-6 and the defense had just made their biggest play of the game with the INT. Kyler made a nice play to give us a chance after a sack on first down, then 3rd and short we call a weird play because DJ isn't in there to run it, Kyler makes a bad throw, Chase runs teh route wrong, the TE was too close. And then he inexplicably goes for it on 4th down from the 30 and gives them the short field. We had one actual stop in the game at that point the other 2 times they didn't score they missed a FG, and ran out of time. So KK got too caught up in the emotion defense got a big play so he was going to go for it. That's why IMO he called that play on 3rd down instead of just trying to run it, he knew he was going on 4th down if it didn't work anyways.

It's a 4 point game, you have to kick there this isn't college you can't just give Drew Brees the ball at teh 30 yard line it completely changed the momentum of the game.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
If you go for it on 4th & 1 on your own 30 in a 4 point game early in the 3rd qtr you don’t deserve to win.
FIFY :bang:

Given the circumstances & situation it’s a freaking terrible, stupid decision I don’t care what the analytics answer says the odds are. The bad outweighs the possible good in that situation if it fails

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not buying it the score was 10-6 and the defense had just made their biggest play of the game with the INT. Kyler made a nice play to give us a chance after a sack on first down, then 3rd and short we call a weird play because DJ isn't in there to run it, Kyler makes a bad throw, Chase runs teh route wrong, the TE was too close. And then he inexplicably goes for it on 4th down from the 30 and gives them the short field. We had one actual stop in the game at that point the other 2 times they didn't score they missed a FG, and ran out of time. So KK got too caught up in the emotion defense got a big play so he was going to go for it. That's why IMO he called that play on 3rd down instead of just trying to run it, he knew he was going on 4th down if it didn't work anyways.

It's a 4 point game, you have to kick there this isn't college you can't just give Drew Brees the ball at teh 30 yard line it completely changed the momentum of the game.
Exactly. If he wants to hang his decision on analytics he isn’t going to be a head coach for long. A head coach has to have his finger on the pulse of a game and his team and allow analytics to help him make an informed decision. That was a stupid decision.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If you can’t gain a yard in 2 plays you don’t deserve to win.
I’m sorry this is a terrible argument and n defense of the call. Based on that argument you would go for it on fourth and one every single time regardless of where you are, what the score of the game is, who you are playing, etc. That’s a silly sound byte, not an actual argument.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
FIFY :bang:

Given the circumstances & situation it’s a freaking terrible, stupid decision I don’t care what the analytics answer says the odds are. The bad outweighs the possible good in that situation if it fails
Right. The odds may favor being successful but if the negative outcome seals the game maybe you don’t roll the dice and live to fight again next drive. Or the drive after that. Or the drive after that given it was early enough in the second half. Instead you open the floodgates that you’ve been barely avoiding to that point.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly. If he wants to hang his decision on analytics he isn’t going to be a head coach for long. A head coach has to have his finger on the pulse of a game and his team and allow analytics to help him make an informed decision. That was a stupid decision.
....and the reality was the game unraveled from there. I guess one could argue it was going to happen regardless because of how long the d was on the field in the first place. But that's highly speculative imo

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
....and the reality was the game unraveled from there. I guess one could argue it was going to happen regardless because of how long the d was on the field in the first place. But that's highly speculative imo
One could argue that. But that decision hastened that inevitability. The longer it remained an ugly game the greater the opportunity to steal one. NEVER give a superior opponent an unearned advantage.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i was ok with going for it: the Cardinals needed the ball. They has spent 3 quarters dodging bullets from the Saints offense and needed to posses the ball for while.

i hated the two calls. not sure what the first one was. i dont understand on 4th down why some form of RPO wasnt used: that look forces LBs to at least stop and read. i just feel like these straight hand offs simplify the decision making for the defense.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny. Many on here were ripping KK for not going for it and settling for fg’s.

We were not winning this game if we made the first down or punted. The score might have been different but the results would have been the same.

KK was swinging for the fences and struck out. A 3 game winning streak planted the seed of “maybe” and reality set us straight today. That’s okay.

The 49ers game is another one where we are over matched and outmanned. Get us into the 4th quarter within a score and I’ll be happy.

Reaction score
i was ok with going for it: the Cardinals needed the ball. They has spent 3 quarters dodging bullets from the Saints offense and needed to posses the ball for while.

i hated the two calls. not sure what the first one was. i dont understand on 4th down why some form of RPO wasnt used: that look forces LBs to at least stop and read. i just feel like these straight hand offs simplify the decision making for the defense.

I agree. I'm ok with going for it on 4th but not ok with the play call. I couldn't understand why not have Murray run around the end.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson