List of players opting out of season

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's no wonder you don't understand when your reading comprehension sucks.

I wasn't comparing UK sport with the NFL. I was using the UK and Spain as a comparison to say, Oregon and Florida. Saying "the USA is bad at Covid" is a very general statement for 50 states with very different responses and outcomes.

But as you brought it up, the EPL just completed nearly 300 games without a single case. Add in the 1000+ games from the lower leagues also without a case. The Europa league and Champions league starts again this week.

The suggestion that the NFL is somehow more risky than say, soccer, is nonsense. Just because some of the players touch each other for a couple of seconds on their pads? Touch transfer risk is tiny unless someone is sticking their hand in someones mouth.

So what then? Proximity? Soccer players spend 90 minutes trying to stay close to each other. 90 minutes. They bunch together in a 12 yard area every time there is a corner or free kick. They clash heads without helmets. They clash bare legs on every tackle. They grab, and touch each other without pads, long sleeves, helmets or gloves on every challenge for the ball. For 90 minutes.

The average NFL game has 11 to 15 minutes actual game time. The idea that NFL is somehow more risky is deluded.

I'm not even sure what this sentence means, "And to your 6 weeks down the road argument... first of 6 weeks after 12th of july the people that are ill and need ICU and with all of that what happend, you are sure that some of these states don't reopen schools and you start with the same problems, again?"

I'll try decipher it. The average time from infection to death is 3 weeks. Not that people are dying at anywhere near the rate they were in March/April (see below). So 6 weeks is more than long enough for these local spikes to pass. As I said in my original posts, thats proven in the infection curves of every state and country that has had a spike.

You must be registered for see images attach

And there is absolutely zero evidence schools are a problem. Most of Europe has had schools open for some time before the summer holidays without any spikes. The UK national statistics agency showed back in April that school workers died at a rate 6x less than the national average, despite being open through the peak of the infections. It was one of the safest jobs in the country.

The WHO doesn't have a single track and trace report from any country that shows a child infecting an adult. Not even in the home. Children are less likely to catch it and far less likely to spread it. It's not like influenza where children are super spreaders.

Countries like Switzerland have published data on sources of new cases with only 0.3% (2 of 793) being in schools, and thats children infecting other children neither of which show symptoms.

Now there are some caveats to this. The older the children the greater the risk, and your "children" go to school until 18. Most European countries finish compulsory school at 16. And to be cautious many schools operate in class "bubbles" so there is no intermingling between classes. There's no evidence this makes a difference, but it's a no harm precaution.

But still, there's no reason that schools should start a 2nd spike. They haven't anywhere else.

Last but not least. You can't look at new cases the same way we did back in March or April when 100 new cases equaled 10 deaths down the road. Look at the graph above. A combination of massively increased testing globally, medical interventions and the more vulnerable being cautious means infections are a poor barometer. Especially when 99.6% of people survive it (CDC estimated 0.4% IFR) and 90%+ have no symptoms or a mild fever.

I'll base my decisions on the global evidence and not hysteria.

You are a ... you post 3 pages and make a lackluster argument.
Again for you, the NFL is played in many states in the US and not only in one.
The EU has over the board a better managment of Covid19 now, even your pathetic UK is doing just fine enough.
Next point, I don't know where you get your numbers, but some more consensus ones:
51-81% have no symptoms.
Around 17% need hospitalization
Around 1-5% die as long as they can get treatment (ICU) it's lower else it can go up as high as 14.5% like in the UK.

And back to your statement, what should a NFL player do if he has a family and has to travel from NY where he now is save to a hotspot like California or Florida? This whole problem isn't trivial and you are posting opinions as fact. And yes schools have started second spikes:
in Denmark, Germany, Austria, Australia ... just to name a few.

Phase I 2 1/2 - 4 days
Phase II 1-14 days
Phase III 4-14 days

So yes 3 weeks can be right, but to see the cluster you normally have at least 1 week delay and then 4-6 weeks after the "super spreader" event people die. Therefor I wrote 6 weeks after an event you are save.

Yes world wide only 0.01% of the population died because of Covid-19 ... but still, this is the first wave and there is no vaxine, if it hits you, you can have luck or not. And from the actual information even if you get mild symptoms, you could face lung or muscle problems that endure months (not weeks).

Did it go well in Soccer in the EU? Yes it did, because there were games without spectators and so on. (~60 persons)
Does it go well in NHL/NBA? Yes it looks like. (40-60 persons)
Did it go well in the MLB? No.
Will it go well in the NFL? Maybe if they use the Soccer approach, but still, 106 athlets on game day, refs, coaches etc. pp.

This is not trivial. And probably one or the other team will maybe see some guys getting sick.

And we don't know how hard the second wave will hit. And for the world dead rate, probably we are already over 1 Mio deaths, but with the likes of china, russia, turkey and so on ... we might never know.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Where did you get that the champions league was cancelled? Juventus plays Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it was at the beginning, after all leagues were done they restarted it, but at the beginning it was on hold... (cancelled maybe the wrong wording).

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Yeah.... Niang is coming off a hip injury IIRC but pushing back your rookie deal. Wow. That's ballsy IMO.

Now that I have thought through Marcus Gilbert..... It seems to me as if he made a business decision.

1. 3 straight injury plagued years.
2. Aging himself out of the game.
3. With only a 1,050,000 contract, this ensured that he gets a 35% raise in value.
4. With more time to heal and get right, we probably take a flier on him next year with only a million out there.

His one year contract (with high injury probability) just became a 2-year deal. Adding this 350k to the 150k he got at signing he just made a half-million for nothing with the hopes of making another mill next year.

Pretty frustrating IMO, but it is the business.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah.... Niang is coming off a hip injury IIRC but pushing back your rookie deal. Wow. That's ballsy IMO.

Now that I have thought through Marcus Gilbert..... It seems to me as if he made a business decision.

1. 3 straight injury plagued years.
2. Aging himself out of the game.
3. With only a 1,050,000 contract, this ensured that he gets a 355 raise in value.
4. With more time to heal and get right, we probably take a flier on him next year with only a million out there.

His one year contract (with high injury probability) just became a 2-year deal. Adding this 350k to the 150k he got at signing he just made a half-million for nothing with the hopes of making another mill next year.

Pretty frustrating IMO, but it is the business.

It's only frustrating because of him and the decision to sign him in the first place. It was roundly and appropriately mocked here because you can't keep signing injured players, Steeler retreads or here both of those things and hope for good outcomes.

I don't begrudge him for opting out. I begrudge Keim for doing the same thing over and over and expecting a new outcome.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
It's only frustrating because of him and the decision to sign him in the first place. It was roundly and appropriately mocked here because you can't keep signing injured players, Steeler retreads or here both of those things and hope for good outcomes.

I don't begrudge him for opting out. I begrudge Keim for doing the same thing over and over and expecting a new outcome.
Well..... at this price, with his talent, I think the contract made sense personally. When you weigh his injury history, I see the upside potential.

$1,050,000 all in.
$150,000 at signing.
$900,000 base salary.

Since we already paid the 150k, he makes 500k this year when you add the 350k High risk payment.

And now he will only have a 900k cap hit next year. Keim/We would be fools to not keep him around at that price IMO. Even as only a backup, we have to pay it IMO. And he will be 34 at that point, so not super old.

He was set to make less than Max Garcia this season.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well..... at this price, with his talent, I think the contract made sense personally. When you weigh his injury history, I see the upside potential.

$1,050,000 all in.
$150,000 at signing.
$900,000 base salary.

Since we already paid the 150k, he makes 500k this year when you add the 350k High risk payment.

And now he will only have a 900k cap hit next year. Keim/We would be fools to not keep him around at that price IMO. Even as only a backup, we have to pay it IMO. And he will be 34 at that point, so not super old.

He was set to make less than Max Garcia this season.

Sorry I should have been more clear. His original signing not this last one.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chris Mortensen
@mortreport
· 53s
Tre’Davious White did not opt out, per source. #BillsMafia

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From what I can find Gilbert is our only opt out, I like that a lot.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
66 players opt out, nearly half of them linemen. This fits my theory that not many linemen actually like their jobs/roles/football and are in it for the money.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
66 players opt out, nearly half of them linemen. This fits my theory that not many linemen actually like their jobs/roles/football and are in it for the money.

Or perhaps they are unnaturally overweight which puts them at higher risk of complications should they contract Covid.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Aww, the good old definition of insanity.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Or they are fat and have co-morbidities for COVID...lol

Borderrat

Veteran
Reaction score

As others have stated Lineman fit into the high risk category. Getting any type of lung infection can push their hearts into the danger zone.

Personally I am surprised Patrick Peterson did not opt out. Type 1 diabetics are in the extreme high risk category and it has attributed to the deaths of young people who are not in the high risk category age wise.

Personally I do not worry about Covid and think the numbers are fraudulent. I do respect another person's choices. Hopefully things get better and everyone can get back to their jobs. Even the Lineman who hate their jobs (sarcasm).

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As others have stated Lineman fit into the high risk category. Getting any type of lung infection can push their hearts into the danger zone.

Personally I am surprised Patrick Peterson did not opt out. Type 1 diabetics are in the extreme high risk category and it has attributed to the deaths of young people who are not in the high risk category age wise.

Personally I do not worry about Covid and think the numbers are fraudulent. I do respect another person's choices. Hopefully things get better and everyone can get back to their jobs. Even the Lineman who hate their jobs (sarcasm).

161,000 deaths and counting.

Some fraud!

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There isn't a player in the League with above room temperature IQ who isn't in it for the money.

This is not a theory.

Yeah, what this tells me is that linemen are more likely to be considered at risk(probably due to the unhealthy amount of weight they are required to carry) and are able to take the 350k without needing to worry about paying it back in the future.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose