List of players opting out of season

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I figured I could start this, but feel free to add when you find names.

Laurent Duverney_Tardiff - KC
De'Anthony Thomas - Balt
Marcus Cannon - NE
Dont'a Hightower - NE
Andre Smith - Balt
Eddie Goldman - Chi
Patrick Chung - NE
Star Lotuleilei - Buff

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read NE is up to 6 players.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Football can survive without those players
Sure, FB can survive if it's only those players. But it's too early to tell how many will opt out. Baseball is already in trouble, thanks to the terrible health situation in Florida. Crossing my fingers for FB.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
That list is longer than I expected. And Chung and Hightower will cripple that NE Defense IMO.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ESPN

More than 70% of NFL players fall into an at-risk category for COVID-19, including having a high body-mass index and/or being African American. If you’re angry at a player for choosing to protect himself and his family, you need to reassess your life’s priorities.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mike Garafolo
⁦‪@MikeGarafolo‬⁩

You must be registered for see images

The opt-outs have begun and the seven-day window hasn’t opened yet. Deadline pushed back every day the deal between the NFL and NFLPA doesn’t officially sign their agreement.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adam Schefter
⁦‪@AdamSchefter‬⁩

You must be registered for see images

Three-time Pro-Bowl guard, Larry Warford, who has received multiple offers, is opting out of the 2020 season, per source. Warford is looking to start a family and will continue to train and revisit playing in 2021.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN

More than 70% of NFL players fall into an at-risk category for COVID-19, including having a high body-mass index and/or being African American. If you’re angry at a player for choosing to protect himself and his family, you need to reassess your life’s priorities.

The problem is BMI does not equate for super athletes. I remember a study long ago that said most of the NFL is "obese" including running backs and etc when the reality is that they are clearly not obese and simply weigh more than they should because they are loaded with muscle. BMI says I should lose 40 pounds and at that point I would be unhealthily skinny with my ribs showing. "proper BMI rating" for a 6'5 man is 156 to 205 pounds. at 156 I would be dead. at 205 my ribs would show. at 246, which is a range for a lot of football players near my height, they are all considered overweight to obese. I guarantee at 237 I am far more overweight than they are.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say 1 guy on the offensive line, which is why we signed a tackle who believes he has a chance to start.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'm thinking Pugh or Sweezy personally. Jones or Murray moves inside and Beechum is our primary backup.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Umm no.

There are literally thousands of guys that want NFL jobs.

ok fine

if this doesnt slow down its going to be a terrible season.

The patriots lost two starters on defense today. thats a big deal going into a competitive professional sport with starting players opting out.

the fact that I will be happy to go play safety for them instead doesnt make for a good product or competitive balance.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Many of those opting out seem to have new families or are trying to start one. Not sure who that fingers.