Lewis to Orlando?

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
WKMG Channel 6 -
Orlando television station WKMG Local 6 is reporting that Rashard Lewis has agreed to sign with the Orlando Magic on July 11.

The deal is reported for 5 years and $75 million.

Sports anchor David Pingalore also reported the Magic will allow restricted free agent forward Darko Milicic to become an unrestricted free agent.

I would say that Orlando is increasing the possibility to keep Grant Hill. Maybe Darko would be worth considering for the Suns.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
According to HoopsHype, Orlando began the free agency period with a salary structure of $39.1. In order to sign Lewis, the Magic had to renounced their Bird rights to Hill and to Darko. Assuming they begin Lewis' salary at just under $13 million, their remaining cap will be less than the MLE.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
I would love to have Darko. Alas, some smart team will sign him.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Why would signing a 15million per year small forward be a sign they want Hill still? Out with the old in with the new is what I see.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I read that the Magic had to waive Darko's bird rights to make that offer to Lewis so that would end any S&T talk. It will be intresting if any of the remaining teams give him an offer significantly higher than the MLE.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
As i understand it, that is correct. In signing Lewis and thus renouncing Darko's rights the Magic are really going to cost him money.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D'Antoni would actually give Darko minutes, but he will want more than he's worth and some team will give it to him. I suspect he'll get $4-5 mil a year from someone. Maybe a 4/20 deal from some sucker of a GM. No thanks.

He's worth a two year LLE, maybe one year guaranteed and a player option, and a guarantee to negotiate a better deal if he shows he's going to still progress.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D'Antoni would actually give Darko minutes, but he will want more than he's worth and some team will give it to him. I suspect he'll get $4-5 mil a year from someone. Maybe a 4/20 deal from some sucker of a GM. No thanks.

i can't believe you like Justin Long. Seriously, I was starting to think you were the unknown bastard brother of me and Ouchie with how much I was agreeing with you. But Justin Long? You sir are no brother of mine!

although I do agree with the above.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i can't believe you like Justin Long. Seriously, I was starting to think you were the unknown bastard brother of me and Ouchie with how much I was agreeing with you. But Justin Long? You sir are no brother of mine!

Don't make me break out my master debater skillz on you. I've got 3x5 cards. Do you want me to get out the 3x5 cards? I didn't think so.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Damn, and I just wrote up a huge 3-way trade with Orlando.

I guess I'll dump it over at the trade forum anyway...why not, right?

OP
OP
W

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
Why would signing a 15million per year small forward be a sign they want Hill still? Out with the old in with the new is what I see.

VanGundy & Hill had a meeting which both agreed on the direction of Orlando. Hill has stated his case for a title contender team in a warm climate, likes the city of Orlando, might "feel" like he owes the team for getting paid all those years without playing. In short, VanGundy wants Hill to stay and Hill wants a chance at a title. This move improves Orlando to the point it could contend for the east - I think Hill will stay in Orlando.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
VanGundy & Hill had a meeting which both agreed on the direction of Orlando. Hill has stated his case for a title contender team in a warm climate, likes the city of Orlando, might "feel" like he owes the team for getting paid all those years without playing. In short, VanGundy wants Hill to stay and Hill wants a chance at a title. This move improves Orlando to the point it could contend for the east - I think Hill will stay in Orlando.

Except he loses his starter job to Lewis.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A much better deal than Banks. So what does that say about Phoenix? At least I think Darko would see playing time in Phoenix.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, Marion is so much better than Lewis it's not even funny. I view Lewis almost as a spot up shooter at the 3 point line. There is no way he is worth this much money. Orlando should have been trying to do a trade with Phoenix for Marion. Who knows, perhaps they tried.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Lewis is a better shooter than Marion and has a few more one-on-one moves, but overall Marion is a better and more complete player. Lewis is a year and a half younger, but he's had a harder time staying healthy.

Seattle is far under the cap now. Will they go after anyone?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A much better deal than Banks. So what does that say about Phoenix? At least I think Darko would see playing time in Phoenix.

One bad deal does not beget another. He was a 8/5 guy in 23 minutes, and he'd probably get a little less than that in Phoenix. He was allowed to post up in Orlando, something he wouldn't be able to do in Phoenix.

Of course, if we're talking Darko or Chris Mihm, I'll take Darko for double the money. Maybe triple.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One bad deal does not beget another. He was a 8/5 guy in 23 minutes, and he'd probably get a little less than that in Phoenix. He was allowed to post up in Orlando, something he wouldn't be able to do in Phoenix.

Of course, if we're talking Darko or Chris Mihm, I'll take Darko for double the money. Maybe triple.

But if you are unwilling to spend double or triple the money, the point is moot.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Just the fact that Mihm is still in conversation doesn't sit right with me. :D

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just the fact that Mihm is still in conversation doesn't sit right with me. :D

Mihm had a very decent season with the Lakers before all of his injury problems. If he's finally healthy then I don't have any issues with the Suns taking a look. We could get worse centers for the veteran minimum like Sean Marks.

Oh and that's way too much money for Rashard Lewis. I thought he'd be lucky to get a 5 yr $60 mil contract.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison