Lewis to Orlando?

cly2tw

Reaction score
Lewis is never healthy. That alone makes Marion a better player. But in any playoff series, if I had to chose between them both healthy, I'd take Lewis.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lewis is never healthy. That alone makes Marion a better player. But in any playoff series, if I had to chose between them both healthy, I'd take Lewis.

Weird Lewis stat: In three playoff seasons, Lewis' scoring average has always gone down, but his rebounds, steals, and assists have always gone up.

Marion's playoff scoring average (in considerably more games than Lewis) also goes down, as does his steals, and his turnovers seem to increase a little, but his rebounding numbers go up ... sometimes by two more a game than the corresponding regular season.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
A much better deal than Banks. So what does that say about Phoenix? At least I think Darko would see playing time in Phoenix.

i hate darko because of how dumb the pistons were to take him over carmelo and dwyane wade. that being said, i havent seen him play much :D

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Weird Lewis stat: In three playoff seasons, Lewis' scoring average has always gone down, but his rebounds, steals, and assists have always gone up.

Marion's playoff scoring average (in considerably more games than Lewis) also goes down, as does his steals, and his turnovers seem to increase a little, but his rebounding numbers go up ... sometimes by two more a game than the corresponding regular season.

so when tony parker guards marion, you want him to pick up on scoring AND rebounding? BLASPHEMY!

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lewis just got 5yr/50M (15M/yr)

amare is currently like 12.5 and increases annually. I believe theyre the same, not sure.

Lewis hit the nba jackpot imo

$15 million a year is $75 million, not $50 million.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basketball/322224_sonx03.html

Report: Lewis makes verbal commitment to Magic

By GARY WASHBURN
P-I REPORTER
The Sonics remained without a coach Monday amid reports that free agent forward Rashard Lewis had agreed to a five-year contract with the Orlando Magic.

· Lewis agrees to deal with Orlando

ESPN.com, citing NBA front-office sources, reported that Lewis verbally committed to the deal with the Magic. Teams cannot officially sign free agents until July 11.

The agreement is believed to be a maximum deal, which would start at $15 million for the first year and increase by eight percent each season. The Magic could potentially work a sign-and-trade deal to compensate the Sonics for the loss of Lewis.

Lewis spent Monday in Florida meeting with Magic executives. A call to Lewis' agent, Tony Dutt, seeking confirmation of the deal was not returned late Monday.

Last edited:

cly2tw

Reaction score
lottery teams are desperate.

in comparison, JoeJ's looks like a bargain for Hawks now!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

When comparing Lewis to Joe Johnson, JJ must be worth a 150 million now.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Magic were a playoff team(just barely though)

And if the deal is starting at 15mil and increasing from there wouldn't the contract total be closer to 5yr/90mil?

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Magic were a playoff team(just barely though)

And if the deal is starting at 15mil and increasing from there wouldn't the contract total be closer to 5yr/90mil?

Those numbers were the reporter's estimates, but if correct the total would be much higher than $75 million.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Starting at 15 mil with 8% annual increases gives a total of 88 million over 5 years. Yearly salaries: 15, 16.2, 17.5, 18.9 and 20.4.

That is some serious overpayment for Reggie. Hate to see GMs going that much overboard - they just never learn.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
Starting at 15 mil with 8% annual increases gives a total of 88 million over 5 years. Yearly salaries: 15, 16.2, 17.5, 18.9 and 20.4.

That is some serious overpayment for Reggie. Hate to see GMs going that much overboard - they just never learn.
Well, yeah, giving $88M to a dead guy is a pretty scary overpayment. ;)

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
good deal for lewis - i think orlando could end up regretting this - hopefully they are willing to want to tack on a 6th year and work a sign & trade..........

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just can't believe Rashard Lewis will be getting this kind of money. I'm not sure what Orlando is thinking going after a player I primarily consider an outside shooter. At least, IMO, he tends to settle for the outside shot (and loves the 3) when he could do so much more.

However, I'm still trying to digest GS letting Jason Richardson go. I know the situation/ comparison does not hold up, but if a team wanted a flashy scorer to bring excitement to a team, I'd much rather have Richardson.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It is like last year with Peja. High volume scorers that hit a high percentage of three pointers are in big demand.