Let’s Take a Moment to Overreact to Kyler’s IG Page

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The point you very much understand but are pretending to be too oblivious to acknowledge is that the stats don't always tell the full story. Your argument lacks information. Unless you add in the other stats you're demanding I produce, your argument falls flat. As you know. So, why would I do your work for you? Defend your own argument :)

My argument?

I simply stated KM's improving completion percentage and suggested that this could not be reached if he was simply running around willy-nilly. That's my point, my case, and there's nothing more needed.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
My argument?

I simply stated KM's improving completion percentage and suggested that this could not be reached if he was simply running around willy-nilly. That's my point, my case, and there's nothing more needed.
Except it ignores the impact of when he runs around willy-nilly and doesn't throw the ball. So, please give me those numbers. You love numbers :)

Stout

Reaction score
Definitely some strong points there I agree with - bails too soon, losing extra yardage.. I do feel confident in stating that him avoiding sacks off-sets the extra yardage (yet - agree he needs to just throw the damn ball away more if there is no immediate escape route).

I feel that we will have a better assessment once we even have a semi-competent O-Line.
Our offensive line was very good at times, competent at others, and dog poo still other times. Often KM had to deal with too much pressure up the middle. The only thing to hold against him then is taking too bad of a sack or failing to throw the ball away--another thing he MUST learn to do better. Can't ask much of your QB in a jail break; can't ask anything much beyond mitigating the damage. He wasn't always good when he did get a decent pocket, though, which is the rub. It wasn't always on the line.

I think, unless we end up miraculously turning our line into top-5, we're not going to see much of a difference, until and unless KM makes the needed adjustments in his game. He must be able to stay in the pocket and take a hit when needed, and must be able to step up into even a semi-clean pocket.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Except it ignores the impact of when he runs around willy-nilly and doesn't throw the ball. So, please give me those numbers. You love numbers :)

100% - 69% = 31% (incompletions)

I'm surprised that given the significance of the 'run around don't throw' stats to your argument that you haven't produced them, yet.

C'mon, don't tease us, what are they?

Stout

Reaction score
100% - 69% = 31% (incompletions)

I'm surprised that given the significance of the 'run around don't throw' stats to your argument that you haven't produced them, yet.

C'mon, don't tease us, what are they?
Completely ignored what I posted. What are the numbers for when he scrambles badly and doesn't throw the ball? Don't tease us by only presenting a skeleton argument; where are the rest of the numbers to bolster your unproven argument?

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Our offensive line was very good at times, competent at others, and dog poo still other times. Often KM had to deal with too much pressure up the middle. The only thing to hold against him then is taking too bad of a sack or failing to throw the ball away--another thing he MUST learn to do better. Can't ask much of your QB in a jail break; can't ask anything much beyond mitigating the damage. He wasn't always good when he did get a decent pocket, though, which is the rub. It wasn't always on the line.

I think, unless we end up miraculously turning our line into top-5, we're not going to see much of a difference, until and unless KM makes the needed adjustments in his game. He must be able to stay in the pocket and take a hit when needed, and must be able to step up into even a semi-clean pocket.
No our line was crap. No there is no question about it.. truly putting lipstick on a pig here pal.

Kyler has plenty to work on but let’s not pretend this was an even average unit.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
People who are justifying the second half of Kyler's season by pointing to game-end stats are absolutely missing the forest for the trees. It's the sequence of events at the beginning of these games that look bad and put the team in a BRUTAL hole. Look at the drive chart for the second Rams game:

You must be registered for see images attach

Kyler plays great when he's up big, and he's great at compiling empty stats once the game goes sideways, but look at those second and third drives! Look at how he starts the second half! That gets lost when you look at a completion percentage and a yardage count.

Here's the Bears game:

SO EFFICIENT. The Red Rifle hands the cards 21 points to start the game and then Kyler goes to sleep for two and a half quarters.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No our line was crap. No there is no question about it.. truly putting lipstick on a pig here pal.

Kyler has plenty to work on but let’s not pretend this was an even average unit.
Crap lines don't get you to 8-1 or 10-2 records. They played well enough despite injuries on the line even.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Completely ignored what I posted. What are the numbers for when he scrambles badly and doesn't throw the ball? Don't tease us by only presenting a skeleton argument; where are the rest of the numbers to bolster your unproven argument?

That's a point YOU made. Ergo it's to you to supply the supporting numbers.

My argument is quite simple, but it seems that it requires repeating.

It's ludicrous to argue that KM's 69.2 completion percentage is mostly or largely outside the pocket.

This fact is about as unproven as gravity.

Stout

Reaction score
That's a point YOU made. Ergo it's to you to supply the supporting numbers.

My argument is quite simple, but it seems that it requires repeating.

It's ludicrous to argue that KM's 69.2 completion percentage is mostly or largely outside the pocket.

This fact is about as unproven as gravity.
lol Thanks Isaac. What are his % numbers inside the pocket vs outside?

Note I'm not saying your basic assertion is wrong. Your logic getting there is faulty. "Because it's obvious" is lacking, to say the least.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People who are justifying the second half of Kyler's season by pointing to game-end stats are absolutely missing the forest for the trees. It's the sequence of events at the beginning of these games that look bad and put the team in a BRUTAL hole. Look at the drive chart for the second Rams game:

Kyler plays great when he's up big, and he's great at compiling empty stats once the game goes sideways, but look at those second and third drives! Look at how he starts the second half! That gets lost when you look at a completion percentage and a yardage count.

Here's the Bears game:

SO EFFICIENT. The Red Rifle hands the cards 21 points to start the game and then Kyler goes to sleep for two and a half quarters.
This.

He (along with the rest of the team and coach) are front runners. They play great when they get off to a fast start, but in a dogfight, they crumbled more often than not. Saw that repeatedly the second half of the season against Indy, Seattle, Rams. And if they got punched hard in the mouth early, they all but gave up and just got thrashed against Carolina and Detroit.

The one game they won down the stretch was the Cowboys game where they had a fast start. But even there, we weren’t like the first half of the season where we poured it on. We got big, then buckled down and had to hold on for dear life at the end of the game after almost blowing a 15 point lead.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Crap lines don't get you to 8-1 or 10-2 records. They played well enough despite injuries on the line even.
Defense was a turnover machine during that stretch that’s the real story to those victories… but let’s give credit to the crap oline or Kliffy.. IHKC loves supporting each other’s posts to the death

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This.

He (along with the rest of the team and coach) are front runners. They play great when they get off to a fast start, but in a dogfight, they crumbled more often than not. Saw that repeatedly the second half of the season against Indy, Seattle, Rams. And if they got punched hard in the mouth early, they all but gave up and just got thrashed against Carolina and Detroit.

The one game they won down the stretch was the Cowboys game where they had a fast start. But even there, we weren’t like the first half of the season where we poured it on. We got big, then buckled down and had to hold on for dear life at the end of the game after almost blowing a 15 point lead.
Yeah... I don't know about all this. We scored on four consecutive drives in the second and third quarters, and Kyler probably had his best four-minute drill of his career to ice that game.

That game might have been different if the Dallas kicker doesn't miss a field goal from 43 on their second drive to tie it up.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Here's the Bears game:

Ok now lets look at your points from the perspective of actually watching the game/game tape.

2nd drive ruined because GARCIA was destroyed by Donald and stopped what would have been a TD.
3rd drive ruined after Kyler completed a huge 1st own pass to AJ Green because
GARCIA was called for holding

2nd half
Obviously a bad int. Has to get the ball over the defender
Next drive ruined because...Hopkins DROPPED a 1st down. Kyler had the terrible 2nd half int but he got way too much blame for the overall game.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I think the Rams/Colts games were ones that a few breaks didnt go our way. Specifically our kicker in the Colts game.

Lions/3rd Rams games are the only ones worthy of real concern in regards to the QB.

Seahawks game seemed like Kliff had them approaching it like a preseason game and it backfired.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i think there is some correlation rather than causation here

first 2/3 of the season, they were down 13 points in the 2nd to Minnesota, down two scores in the 3rd to Jax, played a gritty, tight one score game vs. SF at home. Even the Texans "punched them in the mouth" early and sacked Kyler 3 times in the first 20 mins of the game and had the lead. They won all those. Even GB -- they were down 10 in the 4th and were AJ Green away from winning. Of course -- they were playing (on balance) well during that stretch. A pure front running team loses (badly ) to Minn, at Jax and probably has the Texans take them to the wire.

I think its really true that the defense absolutely requires the offense to score points and is wayyyyy better when they can just play the pass.

the last 7 games the entire offense regressed terribly -- in a confounding, hard to understand way. Yes -- Hop was out and that was part of it, but players that played reasonably well in the first 11 games were BAD in the last 7 ( and that includes K1) Other than James Conner -- i cant think of an offensive player who was just as good or better down the stretch.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Gave up on his team?? Stop there. You sound foolish. This team had areas with no depth & injuries exposed us.
Revisionist ********.

Colt McCoy posted wins with a more depleted roster using the same backups.
The game he lost he didn't refuse to go out with his teammates and finish the game.

Amazingly enough when McCoy beat the Niners all the talk was about how we won due to our quality depth.
.....kyler ***** the bed and suddenly it's because we have poor depth.
That's some weak ass ******** right there.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Revisionist ********.

The game he lost he didn't refuse to go out with his teammates and finish the game.

Amazingly enough when McCoy beat the Niners all the talk was about how we won due to our quality depth.

Dude you know this isn't okay.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This.

That Cowboys game was the defenses best game down the stretch. They had Dak looking awful and the 25-22 scoreline looks much closer than it was because 15 the Cowboys points came late when the game was over. We led by 2 scores most the game.

Kyler thrives in such situations. If the defense is great and these is no pressure on Kyler he plays great football.

If it's a tight game, if the defense isn't great, if it's on TV, a crunch match up or the crucial final games of the season he just crumbles under pressure.

This bit is just my opinion but the final game of the 2020 season was an eye opener for me. Against the Rams starting Wolford at QB in a crucial game to make the playoffs he punks out after 1 drive. We scored 7 points in that whole game and they came from an interception that gave us an 11 yard field. The defense also forced a RZ fumble and kept the Rams to 18 points.

He didn't come back in until the 4th quarter and when he did he looked perfectly fine. To the point he could even run. How can he be injured enough to miss nearly 3 quarters then look perfectly fine? If he plays that game even with a sore ankle we win and make the playoffs. For me, it felt like he skipped all the game where the pressure was on then decided he was ok in Q4 down 2 scores, looking at a loss where all he could be was the hero.

Stout

Reaction score
Defense was a turnover machine during that stretch that’s the real story to those victories… but let’s give credit to the crap oline or Kliffy.. IHKC loves supporting each other’s posts to the death
You realize you're also poo pooing your boy KM there, too, when you poo poo the offense. You can't say it was the defense, then mock the OL and "Kliffy," but credit KM.

Fact is, we were clicking on all cylinders during that stretch. The OL was good, KM was good, KK was good...heck, special teams, too. Then...we as a team sucked.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's a tight game, if the defense isn't great, if it's on TV, a crunch match up or the crucial final games of the season he just crumbles under pressure.
Just wait until that happens again only we're paying him franchise QB money...

You must be registered for see images

Reaction score
Still have not got real numbers of middle of the field throws... Completion percentage means nothing. True statistical % of middle of field is what i am looking for. if you cannot provide that then you talking out of your butt. Tape does not lie and middle of field plays are lacking. Maybe once again point is because he cannot SEE the middle of the field so therefore goes outside throws most of the time and or short slants for 6-8 yards. Quebec i am waiting for real facts and numbers for MIDDLE OF FIELD.

I know you are defensive but real talk without a short sarcastic answers with no sauce with them please

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Revisionist ********.

In those two impressive road wins without Kyler people seem to dismiss we were missing our starting QB. Hopkins also missed both games.

Hudson missed the SF game. Pugh missed the Seahawks game. Edmonds missed all 3.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In those two impressive road wins without Kyler people seem to dismiss we were missing our starting QB. Hopkins also missed both games.

Hudson missed the SF game. Pugh missed the Seahawks game. Edmonds missed all 3.
Hudson played the SF game.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn