Let’s remember some losses

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
It’s only fair to have a thread on the other side. So let’s have your most memorable “same ole Cards” moments! I’ll go first.

Monday Night Meltdown

Bill Gramatica tears ACL

58-0

Packers loss last year

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
1998 vs Cowboys

the comeback that fell just short

I think the boys were up 28-0 early but the cardinals stormed back and had a chance to tie it up at 35 pts but came just short in the endzone

gut wrenching

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Donovan McNabb breaking his leg and beating us

I wonder if anyone else besides Cheese remembers this game. Last game of the year against Green Bay, stadium is 70%+ Packers fans. Green Bay under Ray Rhodes has a chance to make the playoffs on tiebreakers if they score enough points, so Dorsey Levens goes off for four TDs and the Packers score 35 points in the second half. Ugh.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1999 vs Cowboys

the comeback that fell just short

I think the boys were up 28-0 early but the cardinals stormed back and had a chance to tie it up at 35 pts but came just short in the endzone

gut wrenching

OP
OP
gmabel830

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
NFC Championship Game loss at Carolina. I remember being so pumped up all week and then realizing very early in the game that it wasn’t going to be our day.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were a string of late game losses to start the 1997 season that was almost unfathomable as they piled up one after another (I still remember all these games vividly sans the Washington game which came back to memory after I looked up which game in this run was missing).

1. We blew a 21-3 lead to the Bengals on opening day after Centers fumbled the ball with less than 2 minutes to go. Blake to Carl Pickens with like 20 seconds left was the game winner.

We then beat Dallas in a crazy OT game on SNF. But after that…

2. Lost to Washington on the road in OT when Tommy Knight gave up a 30 yard walk off TD 19-13.

3. Lose in Tampa Bay 19-18, when were up 18-12 late in the fourth Q and had them facing 4th and 10 with like a minute left and they hit on a 35 yard-ish TD to win the game… Karl Williams somehow beat Aeneas on this drag route and the rest of the D was nowhere to be found.

4. I think it was the next week we led Minnesota at home 19-10 with four minutes left, totally blew the game and lost on a FG at the gun 20-19.

5. 13-10 OT @ Philly. This was Jake’s first game ever and they put him in down 7-3, midway thru the 4th, replacing Stoney Case, handing him the ball for the first time EVER at his own 5 yard line. Jake unbelievably Marched them 95 yards for a TD to take the lead with less than a minute left. So of course the D went out, gave up a game tying FG to put it into OT where we promptly lost 13-10.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The playoff game last year was absolutely atrocious. The Carolina playoff game was just gut wrenching. Not so much the losses, just how they lost. Both games were abominations.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why are we doing this to ourselves?

The best part of the Cardinals since 1998 is continually stomping the Cowboys.

I don't retain the crap. Too much clutter.

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
Super Bowl…taking the lead with over two minutes to go, near sack of Big Ben at the two yard line, big pass play after Francisco falls down, Steelers in position for the final play which is still under debate. Did “both” feet really touch the ground? Either way, it was a bad defended play.

Now I’m bummed again.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The playoff game last year was absolutely atrocious. The Carolina playoff game was just gut wrenching. Not so much the losses, just how they lost. Both games were abominations.
I never felt like the Carolina game was gut wrenching. We were a total MASH unit by then, with one of the worst QBs of all time. Went into the game with zero expectations so walked out of the bar with almost nary a care.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My cousin was a huge Cowboys fan, that Christmas Day game at our family get-together SUCKED.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I never felt like the Carolina game was gut wrenching. We were a total MASH unit by then, with one of the worst QBs of all time. Went into the game with zero expectations so walked out of the bar with almost nary a care.
Gut wrenching because “what might have been”. You know, every Phoenix area sports fan.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Many of the common debacles have already been submitted, but I have an honorary mention:

2020 Week 17 Rams/Cards. All we had to do was beat a back up QB in an empty stadium to get into the playoffs. Shoutout, Kliff. I was more angry about that game than 58-0

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1976....Thanksgiving Day vs.Dolphins.I Griese had (4) TD passes in first half. Game was literally over before I finished my KOOL-AID. If I recall Coryell had a brain freeze and the rest of the season was kaput.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gut wrenching because “what might have been”. You know, every Phoenix area sports fan.
I think I got over that after I coined the EVERY MAN UP banner for the big SNF game against the Seahawks for the division, had shirts printed, flew in for the game and watched us get mauled 41-6.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many of the common debacles have already been submitted, but I have an honorary mention:

2020 Week 17 Rams/Cards. All we had to do was beat a back up QB in an empty stadium to get into the playoffs. Shoutout, Kliff. I was more angry about that game than 58-0
I was more angry about the Niners game the week before. McVay is Kliff’s daddy and after the previous week’s disaster at home against the Niners 4th Game Of The Preseason squad, didn’t have much confidence going on the road and having to win essentially a playoff game.

With the Niners loss, I Hadn’t been that mad after a game for a really long time. It kinda bursted my hope bubble for this version of the Cards. They then totally blew the bubble back up to all time highs, then popped that sucker again last season. Difference last year was once things started going a little bit south, I wasn’t surprised by the collapse after witnessing 2020’s similar collapse.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I hated that loss because I was following the reaction in North Carolina. They felt like the Cardinals were punks.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I was more angry about the Niners game the week before. McVay is Kliff’s daddy and after the previous week’s disaster at home against the Niners 4th Game Of The Preseason squad, didn’t have much confidence going on the road and having to win essentially a playoff game.

With the Niners loss, I Hadn’t been that mad after a game for a really long time. It kinda bursted my hope bubble for this version of the Cards. They then totally blew the bubble back up to all time highs, then popped that sucker again last season. Difference last year was once things started going a little bit south, I wasn’t surprised by the collapse after witnessing 2020’s similar collapse.
Yeah I agree. That loss sucked real bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA