Leonard Davis on the Cowboys Thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Plus, a larger and larger portion of the NFL is having success with the multi-back attack. It is hell on fantasy football, but successful for the real games. I actually see us giving more load to JJ as the season wears on...you already can hear it in Whis' comments about how JJ does everything asked, and very well. Look for JJ to start getting 5-7 carries midseason, and if we are in the playoff hunt, somewhere in the realm of 8-12 carries to save Edge's legs.

Shipp has been non-existant in this offense to date. not even on short yardage.
I agree with that. there is a reason for all of that in todays game. guys are bigger stronger and faster than ever. If you have two good backs why not try and keep them both fresh and as healthy as possible. If the cowboys were to get any one of the two guys hurt.......then what? then you are talking about risking the other. The same thing with the cards like you just said. Edge is playing great and has always been a feature back. But if you got a guy like JJ.....you gotta give him some carries and try and keep edge as fresh as possible. I was always impressed with JJ. I thought he performed better in college than benson and some others who were taken much higher. I know he has had a slow start as a cards player, but I like the kid. He was definitely worth where he was taken in the draft.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I just think he was going to command more money then he was worth to us. If he had been here Grimm would have made him porductive but the money was better spent elsewhere.

Kudos for the team to make the right move.:thumbup:
agreed.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
LD was not going to perform here, ever. There was too much history there. He was the past, and they wanted to eradicate the past. Moving him and getting Bad Bad was the move needed. Plus Gandy and Al J and the development of Lyle.

That said, Big is perfect for Dallas...as long as they keep him at guard. Once they move him to tackle...oh my. His luster will be gone and he will show why he's a great guard but an easily beat tackle.

Good move for both teams, given that Dallas keeps him on the inside and not the outside.
I agree. 360+ just doesn't bold well for a tackle these days. too many freaks playing on the edge these days. Jerry Jones said the one thing that stood out with davis was his ability to play at RG, but also his experience at playing other positions. He said the same thing about LG kyle kosier(former ASU standout) last season. Kosier like LD was playing tackle, but with some struggles as well given that he was being moved around. Flozell overall has been the cowboys best O-lineman for many years now......to exclude the old larry allen. The cowboys really extended allen's career by moving him to guard. Flozell Adams is a free agent soon. I hope the cowboys have plans of keeping him or replacing him. LD or kyle kosier should only be a last resort due to injuries. Some dallas media types have eluded that LD or kosier could slide over to tackle then. I think they are smoking crack.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was being highly vocal against LD that night. I was told "you have to let it go."

I have now.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because Barber clearly plays at a level above Jones. That is obvious. He has more enrgy. He makes more plays. He seems to be a real threat EVERYTINE he touches the ball. You just dont get that from Jones. To me it would make more logical sense to have that threat on the field at all times.

What they are doing may be "working" but with what you see from Barber it sure seems like it could be "working" a whole lot better with him getting more of the reps.

Barber is a very good runner (low pad-level, squares up for contact) and doesnt shy away from the hit. He is very, very tough.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
barber got 90+ yards on 19 carries against the best run defense in the nfl. jones looked good on the opening drive. I think the cowboys need to run the football a little more. especially against high octane teams like the patriots.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barber is a very good runner (low pad-level, squares up for contact) and doesnt shy away from the hit. He is very, very tough.

Yup. He should be starting and getting 85-90% of the carries in that offense.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
the cowboys will not bring jones back if another team over-extends in that regard. and I'm sure there will be a taker. I will be surprised if jones comes back. I like him though. I think the combo is a perfect fit right now. the cowboys have two first round picks.......so they can always draft another rb.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard