Leonard Davis on the Cowboys Thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Can't be that big a stud. In three years he cant unseat Julius Jones to be the full time starter.
if something is not broke......don't try to fix it. let julius start and play during the game. he is a homerun threat and is very explosive. marion barber is a stud. about 15 TD's last year(led nfc) and already has 3 this year. that's 18 TD's in just over a season. He is the best backup in the league lol! no stud though. I think his YPG is also at 6.

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
if something is not broke......don't try to fix it. let julius start and play during the game. he is a homerun threat and is very explosive. marion barber is a stud. about 15 TD's last year(led nfc) and already has 3 this year. that's 18 TD's in just over a season. He is the best backup in the league lol! no stud though. I think his YPG is also at 6.
I wish the Cards had taken Barber III. For sure. The guy is nonstop. Runs at you like you owe him money.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I wish the Cards had taken Barber III. For sure. The guy is nonstop. Runs at you like you owe him money.
barber was clearly a great pick by parcells/jones. I think he was a 4th or 5th rounder too. I wouldn't want to owe that guy money....nor would I try to tackle him without ray lewis on his back first.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Of course he's better than a guy that was out of position. I think Levi improves our line, but I would've liked Levi with LD right by him at guard.

LD will be playing LT next year in Dallas...

They are paying him too much money and Flozell Adams is a FA.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thats just my point. if you got aguy producing lik ethat on limited touches he should be you main guy no questions asked. Do the cowboys believe there are durability issues? There has to be something there that keeps him from getting 20-25 carries a game. What is it? Because JJ is lackluster.

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats just my point. if you got aguy producing lik ethat on limited touches he should be you main guy no questions asked. Do the cowboys believe there are durability issues? There has to be something there that keeps him from getting 20-25 carries a game. What is it? Because JJ is lackluster.
How are we supposed to know what the Cowboys believe? :)

Toro

Registered
Reaction score
Russ Grimm is a great OL coach. When he watched tape of LD, do you think he would let LD leave if he really thought that LD would be great?

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I stand by what I said before. JJ and IIIrd are playing very well under the current situation. Barber is getting more carries thus far this point in the season compared to last season. JJ deserves carries as well. It doesn't matter who starts. Right now barber is finishing.

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stand by what I said before. JJ and IIIrd are playing very well under the current situation. Barber is getting more carries thus far this point in the season compared to last season. JJ deserves carries as well. It doesn't matter who starts. Right now barber is finishing.
I kinda have to agree with that. Cowboys' RB situation has been fine, why choose one if two of them are getting it done.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kinda have to agree with that. Cowboys' RB situation has been fine, why choose one if two of them are getting it done.

Because Barber clearly plays at a level above Jones. That is obvious. He has more enrgy. He makes more plays. He seems to be a real threat EVERYTINE he touches the ball. You just dont get that from Jones. To me it would make more logical sense to have that threat on the field at all times.

What they are doing may be "working" but with what you see from Barber it sure seems like it could be "working" a whole lot better with him getting more of the reps.

Last edited:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Russ Grimm is a great OL coach. When he watched tape of LD, do you think he would let LD leave if he really thought that LD would be great?

I think Grimm used the 10 or 11 million they would have paid LD and brought in two starters (Johnson and Gandy).

He knew that would work...alot of us thought it would flame.

It has worked so far...

Next year Faneca and Max Starks are UFA.

I think Wells is outski.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think Grimm used the 10 or 11 million they would have paid LD and brought in two starters (Johnson and Gandy).

It has worked so far...

I think Wells is outski.
I agree with that. Like I said before. LD leaving the cards was best for both sides. The cowboys picking up LD was good for them because they felt they were one player away from having a solid OL for at least this season. And JJ thinks LD is a guy he can depend on in the future. So they spent some money on him. So far he looks solid. I'm still waiting for this bum some cards fans talked about to have a bad game, but again it's only two games. Chicago also has two of the best DT's in the game so this will be his first major test. I thought he played very well vs. miami. I don't think the cards or LD had any ideas of staying together.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Because Barber clearly plays at a level above Jones. That is obvious. He has more enrgy. He makes more plays. He seems to be a real threat EVERYTINE he touches the ball. You just dont get that from Jones. To me it would make more logical sense to have that threat on the field at all times.

What they are doing may be "working" but with what you see from Barber it sure seems like it could be "working" a whole lot better with him getting more of the reps.
I don't think he has durability issues or anything like that. and I understand what you are saying. it's very true. most cowboys fans are in the same boat as well. from a more football perspective, the thing that benefits the cowboys in regards of playing both players, is the fact that they always have a fresh back in the game. both guys bring a different aspect. JJ has the speed and barber has the pop. a fresh marion barber is a more productive one. I also think it benefits jones to start.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It has worked so far...

I think Wells is outski.

As long as we keep Grimm around.

If we are too successful (playoffs) we might lose the Godfather!!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with that. Like I said before. LD leaving the cards was best for both sides. The cowboys picking up LD was good for them because they felt they were one player away from having a solid OL for at least this season. And JJ thinks LD is a guy he can depend on in the future. So they spent some money on him. So far he looks solid. I'm still waiting for this bum some cards fans talked about to have a bad game, but again it's only two games. Chicago also has two of the best DT's in the game so this will be his first major test. I thought he played very well vs. miami. I don't think the cards or LD had any ideas of staying together.

LD was not going to perform here, ever. There was too much history there. He was the past, and they wanted to eradicate the past. Moving him and getting Bad Bad was the move needed. Plus Gandy and Al J and the development of Lyle.

That said, Big is perfect for Dallas...as long as they keep him at guard. Once they move him to tackle...oh my. His luster will be gone and he will show why he's a great guard but an easily beat tackle.

Good move for both teams, given that Dallas keeps him on the inside and not the outside.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for this bum some cards fans talked about to have a bad game, but again it's only two games.

you won't see it happen at guard. it is his natural position.

I don't think the cards or LD had any ideas of staying together.

You are correct, sir. That bridge was burned...and Denny crapped on the last string it had holding it together. Grimm was wise enough to see the poop stains on it.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think he has durability issues or anything like that. and I understand what you are saying. it's very true. most cowboys fans are in the same boat as well. from a more football perspective, the thing that benefits the cowboys in regards of playing both players, is the fact that they always have a fresh back in the game. both guys bring a different aspect. JJ has the speed and barber has the pop. a fresh marion barber is a more productive one. I also think it benefits jones to start.

Plus, a larger and larger portion of the NFL is having success with the multi-back attack. It is hell on fantasy football, but successful for the real games. I actually see us giving more load to JJ as the season wears on...you already can hear it in Whis' comments about how JJ does everything asked, and very well. Look for JJ to start getting 5-7 carries midseason, and if we are in the playoff hunt, somewhere in the realm of 8-12 carries to save Edge's legs.

Shipp has been non-existant in this offense to date. not even on short yardage.