Leinart Contract/Negotiations Discussion

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
More insults. Keep them coming.

Then let all of those poeple behind speak up, because all I here are cricketts. I doubt anyone here is afriad of a such a big bad message board bully as myself:sarcasm:. You dont give people here enough credit, they all must be uneducated wusses or something the way you are talking. I am belligerent and overbearing, what ever, at least I hvent gone low enough by insulting anyone or their families yet. But hey to each is own.

Will you quit whining? Don't you have something productive to do? They do have an ignore feature on this board. If you don't like my comments, put me on ignore and you won't have to respond and I won't have to listen to your misguided comments.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
The Cardinals lately haven't had a problem with escalators, regular NFL contracts, etc.

I will agree they don't seem to spend to the cap each year but then again we haven't been one or two players away either.

I've maintained that some of that extra cap money goes to pay off the $ they have to put into the stadium, that's not the best thing from a fan perspective but to come back to 40's business point, we don't know what their finances are like.

My take after years of watching this team is that you are both right, to some extent we don't spend all we could, however, not having a stadium all these years has probably left them in a bit of a hole that may take a year or two to work out of.

Once the naming rights are done, I expect a lot of this will disappear but on a final note, none of this has a thing to do with Leinart's deal, that deal is what it is and was destined to be a problem from day one.

He dropped the farthest of any player in the draft value wise, until we see the final deal we don't know who was being unreasonable, when or how much, we may never know, but a rookie contract has very little to do with being cheap, it's mostly about two sides having varying opinions on the safety of the pick, maybe the Cardinals know more about his health than you do and are trying to protect themselves from that, or maybe Leinart is trying to hijack them.

I really doubt the cheap label applies here and as to not spending to the cap, you have more ground to stand on that issue than on the Leinart one IMO.

The Bidwills have never had a stadium of their own, they had to pay a large chunk to get it, largely it's been reported they would pay that off with the naming rights, those haven't come through yet.

In this former St. Louis Cardinal fan's opinion, you all should just drop this issue because when you got the team you promised them a stadium you didn't deliver for how long?

It dosen't matter how inept the management may have been in the past, when the team relocated there it was promised a stadium, inept or not that was fully public knowledge for anyone to check out, yet no stadium came with this or that excuse tied to it.

If they are cheap or have been cheap from a business standpoint it was required IMO. To fail to acknowledge that is just not being realistic IMO.

To expect them to start spending like mad as soon as the dollars roll in isn't realistic either, they have to pay down some debt more than likely so can't spend yet like they'd like to.

The signs are all there that they mean to, I'd say so far they've done a decent balancing act but opinions could differ.

I hope the Cards have the good sense to make you GM.:thumbup:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
He is. He writes for their website and does reporting on radio and TV as well, I think.

So what is the deal with a paid employee saying that Leinart would be in by tomorrow/Monday? Is that kind of inside info/done deal kind of thing or what?

I found it weird, being that Calvisi is a Cardinals employee....Plus, I'm still kind of drunk off the the booze and awesomeness of the stadium.

OP
OP
ajcardfan

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
So what is the deal with a paid employee saying that Leinart would be in by tomorrow/Monday? Is that kind of inside info/done deal kind of thing or what?

I found it weird, being that Calvisi is a Cardinals employee....Plus, I'm still kind of drunk off the the booze and awesomeness of the stadium.

He said "could". So, really, he didn't say anything too earthshaking.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:

And it was a good day, wasn't it?:D

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Renz said:
Calvisi also said that he was told by Keith Rowen that if Leinart was in camp on Monday then he would definitely play in the game against New England.

God I hope we sign, him. I haven't watched the whole game on tape yet but what I've seen of Navarre, he's regressed. I would assume it could be the new delivery, I know that happened last year to Drew Henson he had a terrible preseason because they'd redone his throwing motion. But Navarre didn't just seem to be missing guys, he seemed to be completely out of touch in the pocket. That first INT was vintage #16 just throw it up for grabs.

We need to get Leinart signed and ready for the season.

HardBall

Devil Man
Reaction score
Navarre sucks so badly. We really need a solid number 2. I love Warner, but he is a fragile old man.

HardBall

Devil Man
Reaction score
I think at this point we have to but the "bad" on the Cards. After 6 years of the same old same old we should know better. We have the most cap room of any team in the NFL, yet dick around with this deal while neglecting giant holes in the OL and D. Ridiculous.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
From Bickley's latest article

First, the good news: The Cardinals have discussions scheduled this morning with Tom Condon, Leinart's point man in negotiations. There is still enough time to wipe the slate clean, if a deal can be struck quickly. And after watching John Navarre throw the football Saturday, the Cardinals should have plenty of incentive.

But here's the part that has you scratching your head: In the 48 hours leading up to the preseason opener against the Steelers, the Cardinals couldn't be bothered to negotiate with the Leinart camp. It is exactly this lack of competitive urgency that makes you wonder about this team's motives

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:

Oh please they were just excited about the new stadium, it was an even bigger deal to the Cardinals, who in their history have never had a stadium of their own.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
Oh please they were just excited about the new stadium, it was an even bigger deal to the Cardinals, who in their history have never had a stadium of their own.

Imagine that. A team event that was bigger than Matt Leinart.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:

But here's the part that has you scratching your head: In the 48 hours leading up to the preseason opener against the Steelers, the Cardinals couldn't be bothered to negotiate with the Leinart camp. It is exactly this lack of competitive urgency that makes you wonder about this team's motives

Bickley is such a douchbag... 1st of all, The Cards have already offered Leinart more than his slotting would dictate, secondly, Leinart is going to be the back up this year, and thirdly Leinarts camp is being unreasonable with their demands.

It makes zero difference where they though Leinart should have gone, 9 teams passed on him, that is reality.

For Bickley to question the cardinals competitive motivation is totall unwarranted, I guess he hasn't paid any attention to the moves this team has made the past few seasons... It takes a while to clean house and change a culture of a franchise, and with Michael Bidwill it has happened... Once the bowtie loosens all the string and free's them up for MB, this frachinse will be wholly modern.

I wish Bickley would go jump off a cliff or something.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:
Bickley is such a douchbag... 1st of all, The Cards have already offered Leinart more than his slotting would dictate, secondly, Leinart is going to be the back up this year, and thirdly Leinarts camp is being unreasonable with their demands.

It makes zero difference where they though Leinart should have gone, 9 teams passed on him, that is reality.

For Bickley to question the cardinals competitive motivation is totall unwarranted, I guess he hasn't paid any attention to the moves this team has made the past few seasons... It takes a while to clean house and change a culture of a franchise, and with Michael Bidwill it has happened... Once the bowtie loosens all the string and free's them up for MB, this frachinse will be wholly modern.

I wish Bickley would go jump off a cliff or something.

:thumbup:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:
Once the bowtie loosens all the string and free's them up for MB, this frachinse will be wholly modern.

Thats what I have been saying the whole time. I like Mike just cant wait till he has full control.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Thats what I have been saying the whole time. I like Mike just cant wait till he has full control.

Anyone who doesn't agree with this doesn't have a clue or hasn't been a Cards fan for very long. Billy is a nice man who also happens to be a moron.

HardBall

Devil Man
Reaction score
Bill is deluded by his financial hardon from the stadium. Keep in mind that he has not been pocketing huge cash during the Sun Devil Stadium days. By next season he will retire and Mike can take over. Then, and only then, will we see this organization reinvent itself.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Jurecki also said that Condon came with an offer on Friday, Graves said that he had to go speak to Bill, Sr., and didn't get back to him until Sunday.

I'm 99% sure that MJ said that Condon gave Graves a new proposal last Wednesday, Graves told Condon he'd get back to him the next day and didn't until Friday where they exchanged voicemails. Pretty pathetic. Graves used the excuse that they were too busy opening the new stadium. Give me a bleepin break. Get the deal done, my heads starting to spin from all these reports from "insiders.

seesred

Reaction score
IMO after this is done this week all prior messages in this thread will be mute. Happiness will abound and 63,000 of my best friends will be smiling.

GBR

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
seesred said:
IMO after this is done this week all prior messages in this thread will be mute. Happiness will abound and 63,000 of my best friends will be smiling.

GBR

No doubt about it. The tough part about this holdout, like most, is that we don't know what's going on. I just hope that the Cards will find a way to stop doing this every year, it's very frustrating. Let's hope that we can get ML in camp in the next couple days so he can get some work in at NE this weekend. Navarre is not a viable backup

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
seesred said:

GBR
Or they might even be moot.

That is, unless Kurt Warner goes down in week 3 (like he did last season) and John Navarre comes in in relief and posts a 77 QB rating (as he did last season) and then has to start the next game, where he completes 45% of his passes and throws 4 picks (as he did in hie one start).

Should that happen, or something like it, then there will be quite a few posters on this board coming in to remind everyone why Matt Leinart isn't the #2 quarterback right now.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Or they might even be moot.

That is, unless Kurt Warner goes down in week 3 (like he did last season) and John Navarre comes in in relief and posts a 77 QB rating (as he did last season) and then has to start the next game, where he completes 45% of his passes and throws 4 picks (as he did in hie one start).

Should that happen, or something like it, then there will be quite a few posters on this board coming in to remind everyone why Matt Leinart isn't the #2 quarterback right now.
Remind us of exactly what? If they know why he isn't in camp yet, then why don't they post it?

I would like to know it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
BACH said:
Remind us of exactly what? If they know why he isn't in camp yet, then why don't they post it?

I would like to know it.

That the Cardinals didn't do everything they could to get Leinart in on time. That Rod Graves waited from Wednesday to Friday to return Tom Condon's phone call (that's three days missed, plus game time when Matt could have been observing from the sidelines). That the Cardinals waited until a week into camp before starting to negotiate with Condon. That for a solid week after that Condon was complaining in the media (something that he doesn't do and hasn't done before) that the Cardinals' negotiating tactic was to reply to each offer "'No," that's it, just, 'no.'" That it was only after two weeks of negotiating did Graves come out and say that their contract was above Ernie Sims' horrible deal. That it wasn't until a week before the preseason game that negotiations had gotten to the point that the length of deal was decided on.

I swear, some of managment's apologists will go to no end to justify the incompetence of ownership here.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
That the Cardinals didn't do everything they could to get Leinart in on time. That Rod Graves waited from Wednesday to Friday to return Tom Condon's phone call (that's three days missed, plus game time when Matt could have been observing from the sidelines). That the Cardinals waited until a week into camp before starting to negotiate with Condon. That for a solid week after that Condon was complaining in the media (something that he doesn't do and hasn't done before) that the Cardinals' negotiating tactic was to reply to each offer "'No," that's it, just, 'no.'" That it was only after two weeks of negotiating did Graves come out and say that their contract was above Ernie Sims' horrible deal. That it wasn't until a week before the preseason game that negotiations had gotten to the point that the length of deal was decided on.

I swear, some of managment's apologists will go to no end to justify the incompetence of ownership here.
I don't know about that, but I'll go to no end NOT pretending that I know what's going on in the Cards' front office, Condon's office, in the negotiations and how both sides use the media to spin the situation their way.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen