Tottenham confident Son Heung-min will sign new contract as negotiations continue

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tottenham Hotspur are confident Son Heung-min will sign a new contract as negotiations continue between the club and the South Korean. Son scored his 11th goal in 16 games to help Spurs into the final of the Carabao Cup on Tuesday night and the forward’s future is very much top of chairman Daniel Levy’s list of priorities regarding head coach Jose Mourinho’s squad. As reported by Telegraph Sport, a change of representation slowed progress on a new contract but talks are continuing and Son is thought to be keen to stay at Spurs past 2023, when his current deal expires. With the financial landscape once again uncertain because of the latest coronavirus lockdown, no imminent announcements are expected on Son’s future. But there are not thought to be any major complications to the negotiations, with both sides expecting an agreement over time and Son in line to earn a big pay rise and pocket somewhere in the region of £200,000-a-week. Son’s importance to Tottenham has increased since Mourinho took charge of the club and changed the team’s style of play to be more clinical. The 28-year-old now spends more time in front of Harry Kane, who has dropped deeper, and that has been reflected in the fact Son is currently Tottenham’s leading scorer with 15 goals. His defensive input was also highlighted in the win over Brentford, as he made a crucial first-half block that would have delighted Mourinho. Unlike Son, Kane has not opened discussions with Tottenham over a new contract with his present deal not due to expire until the summer of 2024. Other than Son, Moussa Sissoko was also on target in the semi-final success on Tuesday night and the midfielder believes Mourinho’s mentality can help Tottenham get over the line in April’s final. Tottenham have not won a trophy since lifting the League Cup in 2008 and, asked if Mourinho is turning the latest Spurs team into winners, Sissoko said: “Yeah, we can say that. Because we know what type of manager Jose is and what he did in the past, I think the chairman brought him here to win trophies and he’s tried to bring that mentality to the team. “I will not say we didn’t have it before with the old manager, but the team is working a lot on it and he pushes hard every day on it. Now it’s good that we reach the final, now we have to win it. “It’s time to win a trophy. I think for many years we missed that kind of opportunity and now we want to take it. We have qualified for one final, I hope we are going to win it, there’s still plenty of games before that final and I hope we can still do a lot of things. “We are still in the race for the Premier League, we’ve got the other cup to play, the Europa League as well and so there’s plenty of things to do with the team this season. Let’s believe in ourselves, let’s keep fighting and let’s try to win every game and see what we can do.”

Continue reading...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave