Leinart Contract/Negotiations Discussion

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard/read two things on Leinart today:

1. A Denver Post article on Cutler's negotiations reported that negotiations on Leinart's deal were "progressing smoothly".

2. On Bob Kemp's show, he reported in an interview with Scott Bordow that Chris Mortensen of ESPN said the Cards and Leinart were "far apart". Bordow said it was incumbent on Leinart to sign a fair slot deal and get into camp. He pointed out he has a great chance to play this year, he can make money on endorsements and a killer second deal if he's anywhere near as good as he thinks he is.

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
I allways love listing to rumors of negotiations, they say "The team and player are close to signing a deal" and then you get no new info for a week, then "the two sides are far apart" and the next day they annouce the signing. The only people who know whats going on is Rod Graves, Bill Bidwill, Matt Leinart and his agent, everyone else just guesses.

CorporalCardinal

Look! A Cards fan in Iraq
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumors

heh, want some contract rumors eh? here's one:

Leinart was offered several bonuses, including but not limited to 2 cheerleaders of his choosing. The sticking point is that Leinart is holding out for a third cheerleader, believing that his talent demands so. Rod Graves could not be reached for comment. Stay tuned for breaking updates.

:slap:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Scott Bordow has absolutly zero inside knowledge of the Cards. His own sports co-worker Urban who has far more Cards contacts(thats all he covers pretty much is the Cards) Said today that he isnt worried in the least about Matt being a long hold out. In fact he stated 2 day hold out max.

Scott isnt giving his opinion based on facts or any inside knowledge he is giving an opinion based on conjecture and the like.

OP
OP
ajcardfan

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Scott Bordow has absolutly zero inside knowledge of the Cards. His own sports co-worker Urban who has far more Cards contacts(thats all he covers pretty much is the Cards) Said today that he isnt worried in the least about Matt being a long hold out. In fact he stated 2 day hold out max.

Scott isnt giving his opinion based on facts or any inside knowledge he is giving an opinion based on conjecture and the like.

It wasn't Bordow's opinion as to how the negotiations were going. It was Mortensen's. I just included Bordow's take because it kind of came down on the Cardinals side.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
joeshmo said:

Isn't that the best way to do it though?
No tedious homework.
No boring phone calls to oily "sources".
It's like real reporting, only without all the fluff that makes it real reporting.

OP
OP
ajcardfan

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona, Leinart work on last-minute deal
By Darren Urban, Tribune
July 30, 2006
With the Cardinals reporting to Flagstaff this afternoon for training camp, time is running out to get first-round draft pick Matt Leinart signed in time. The quarterback’s representatives remained in the Valley Saturday working on a contract and are believed to have stayed into today.

Related Links
Sports

Neither Leinart’s agents nor Cardinals vice president of football operations Rod Graves returned phone messages Saturday evening.

Both sides have repeatedly expressed optimism that Leinart’s deal will be done in time so Leinart would not miss any practices. The team’s first workout begins at 8:45 a.m. Monday, and Leinart is already in town; he threw with teammates Friday.

That the two sides are working this intently and faceto-face would seem to indicate progress. If the team and the player were far apart in negotiations, it’s unlikely Leinart’s agents would be in town.

Leinart will battle John Navarre to back up Kurt Warner.

Ticket update
Sold out: The Cardinals announced Saturday that the lone regular season home game that had tickets available — against Detroit Nov. 19 — has sold out. Of the 10 games at Cardinals Stadium in Glendale, only the Aug. 31 preseason finale against Denver has not sold out. Every regular season home game will be televised in the Valley, the first time that has happened since the team moved to Arizona.
Contact Darren Urban by email, or phone (480) 898-6525

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
2. On Bob Kemp's show, he reported in an interview with Scott Bordow that Chris Mortensen of ESPN said the Cards and Leinart were "far apart". Bordow said it was incumbent on Leinart to sign a fair slot deal and get into camp. He pointed out he has a great chance to play this year, he can make money on endorsements and a killer second deal if he's anywhere near as good as he thinks he is.

Friday afternoon around 5:50 Kevin McCabe was on the show. He said that the deal is "almost done and he expects Leinart to sign on Saturday" McCabe went on to say that it was a 6 year deal for $15 million signing bonus. I was shocked when he said this because no other media outlet had reported anything like this. McCabe did not exactly sound confident as he was reporting this. It was if he heard it from a friend of a friend and there was no credibility to the fact. Obviously Leinart did not sign on Saturday.

Did anyone else hear this last Friday at the end of Kemp's show?

Last edited:

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
Cardsmasochist said:
Friday afternoon around 5:50 Kevin McCabe was on the show. He said that the deal is "almost done and he expects Leinart to sign on Saturday" McCabe went on to say that it was a 6 year deal for $15 signing bonus. I was shocked when he said this because no other media outlet had reported anything like this. McCabe did not exactly sound confident as he was reporting this. It was if he heard it from a friend of a friend and there was no credibility to the fact. Obviously Leinart did not sign on Saturday.

Did anyone else hear this last Friday at the end of Kemp's show?

I wouldn't sign that either. At least get enough signing bonus to buy a celebratory drink.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
what Is Taking So Long?????

sims - Signed
leinart - Unsigned
cutler - Signed

hurry The Bleep Up Dude!!!!!

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
SuperSpck said:
Isn't that the best way to do it though?
No tedious homework.
No boring phone calls to oily "sources".
It's like real reporting, only without all the fluff that makes it real reporting.

wonderful take... :thumbup: :D

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
anytimeuwnt said:
what Is Taking So Long?????

sims - Signed
leinart - Unsigned
cutler - Signed

hurry The Bleep Up Dude!!!!!

My guess is the hang up is the Cards want a 6 year deal and Leinart's camp wants a 5 year deal. My guess is they'll compromise and have a deal similar to Vince Young's (5 year deal, 6th year option)

CatBoxBackFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Going home

It's Stalled

Leinart negotiations stall

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 30, 2006 03:55 PM

Negotiations between the agents for first-round pick Matt Leinart and the Cardinals have stalled, and Tom Condon, Leinart's chief negotiator, had plans to leave the Valley Sunday.

Cardinals players were due to report to training camp today at 5 p.m. in Flagstaff and the first practice is Monday morning.

It appears it will take a small miracle for Leinart to be in camp on time.

Condon declined to discuss negotiations, but he did say, "We've tried very hard to successfully complete all our negotiations with our players at the appropriate time. We'd like to see that happen with Matt."

Condon works for Creative Artists Agency, which has six first-round picks and 10 total in the first three rounds of the draft. All but Leinart are in camp.

It's a bit of a surprise that negotiations are going so poorly given that the ninth pick, Detroit linebacker Ernie Sims, and the 11th pick, Denver quarterback Jay Cutler, have signed.

Leinart was the 10th overall pick, and those other two deals should give the Cards parameters for his contract.

Last edited:

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
CatBoxBackFan said:

Leinart negotiations stall

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 30, 2006 03:55 PM

Negotiations between the agents for first-round pick Matt Leinart and the Cardinals have stalled, and Tom Condon, Leinart's chief negotiator, had plans to leave the Valley Sunday.

Cardinals players were due to report to training camp today at 5 p.m. in Flagstaff and the first practice is Monday morning.

It appears it will take a small miracle for Leinart to be in camp on time.

Condon declined to discuss negotiations, but he did say, "We've tried very hard to successfully complete all our negotiations with our players at the appropriate time. We'd like to see that happen with Matt."

Condon works for Creative Artists Agency, which has six first-round picks and 10 total in the first three rounds of the draft. All but Leinart are in camp.

It's a bit of a surprise that negotiations are going so poorly given that the ninth pick, Detroit linebacker Ernie Sims, and the 11th pick, Denver quarterback Jay Cutler, have signed.

Leinart was the 10th overall pick, and those other two deals should give the Cards parameters for his contract.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man I was really hoping Leinart would get to camp in time but the way this article sounds it doesnt look to good.... Hopefully he wont be a hold out to long but I mean seriously Young and Cutler already signed so how hard can it be for the Cardinals to work out a deal for Leinart doesnt make to much sense to me. I hope he signs before preseason so maybe we can get a little bit of a look at him and see how he does in preseason.

OP
OP
ajcardfan

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
boldinfan18 said:
Man I was really hoping Leinart would get to camp in time but the way this article sounds it doesnt look to good.... Hopefully he wont be a hold out to long but I mean seriously Young and Cutler already signed so how hard can it be for the Cardinals to work out a deal for Leinart doesnt make to much sense to me. I hope he signs before preseason so maybe we can get a little bit of a look at him and see how he does in preseason.

Well, when we didn't hear anything yesterday, I figured there is some sort of problem. I still predict that he will sign this coming Thursday.

DakotaCardsFan

Making time travel possible
Reaction score
boldinfan18 said:
...I mean seriously Young and Cutler already signed so how hard can it be for the Cardinals to work out a deal for Leinart doesnt make to much sense to me.

Agreed. I don't think it will be hard for the Cards to work out a deal for Leinart given the Young and Cutler parameters. In fact, the Sims and Cutler signings should make it pretty easy for them. My fear is that Leinart is less interested in what Sims (picked #9) got and more interested in what Young got. As others have said, I wish the new CBA would have made rookie contracts alot easier (i.e. slot = $$), but I guess you'd have a few upset agents out there.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
boldinfan18 said:
I mean seriously Young and Cutler already signed so how hard can it be for the Cardinals and Matts agents to work out a deal for Leinart doesnt make to much sense to me.

Fixed it for you.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Ya gotta believe that Condon wants more than the 10th slot because Leinart is a QB. Either that or additional voidable years etc.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
DakotaCardsFan said:
My fear is that Leinart is less interested in what Sims (picked #9) got and more interested in what Young got.

Correct.

Anyone who thought Sims signing would have any barring what so ever in these negotiations was kidding themselves. Maybe on the Cards part but not in Matts camp.

The only deals that concern Matt and his agents are the deals of Young and Cutler.