Last Comic Standing 2

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some very funny comedians.

I never watched this the first season, but this is very funny so far. :thumbup:

I was hoping the ex-cop from Maine (Justin McKinney, I think) would have made it to Vegas...but as they say - "They can't all make it."

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Some very funny comedians.

I never watched this the first season, but this is very funny so far. :thumbup:

I was hoping the ex-cop from Maine (Justin McKinney, I think) would have made it to Vegas...but as they say - "They can't all make it."

Too bad the show is rigged.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Thought you might want some proof...

Carey Cracks on NBC "Comic"

by Kimberly Potts
Mar 8, 2004, 3:40 PM PT

Hey, didja hear the one about the NBC reality show that's being called crooked and dishonest?

It's no joke. Though usually we have to wait until after a reality series has premiered for the scandals to begin, that's not the case with NBC's next edition of the talent search series Last Comic Standing.

Comedian and TV star Drew Carey, during an appearance over the weekend at the U.S. Comedy Arts Festival in Aspen, accused NBC and Last Comic Standing II's producers of shady behavior. Carey, who, along with former Grace Under Fire star Brett Butler and Yes, Dear star Anthony Clark, served as a judge in a preliminary round of Last Comic Standing II, said the show's producers ignored the judges' votes for which contestants should advance to the top 10 and instead cast their own choices.

The show, which averaged a little more than 8 million viewers each week for NBC last summer and is scheduled to hit airwaves again this June, taped a semifinal round on Feb. 26 in Las Vegas. Carey and his fellow funny types were asked to help whittle 20 contenders down to 10 finalists, who will live together and compete weekly until all but one is voted out of the contest.

But Carey says he and the judges were shocked when the top 10 were announced. After comparing notes, the judges realized that their favorite contestant, who had also gotten a standing ovation from the audience, wasn't among the finalists. Meanwhile, a contestant who had, according to Carey, flopped during the competition, moved into the final round.

"Brett walked out and Anthony ripped his mike off in disgust," Carey told Variety. "No one could believe it. As far as I knew, we'd be judges to see who would go into the house. Turns out we're not." The Hollywood Reporter quoted Carey saying the talent contest "was crooked and dishonest."

"It was like somebody at NBC cast the show ahead of the event in Vegas. And they had 1,100 in the audience [for the semifinals competition] who saw how blatantly it was cast. If this happened on Survivor or any other reality TV show, it would be a major scandal."

Carey told the Los Angeles Times that an openly gay comic named Ant was apparently chosen because his sexual orientation made him a better fit than Carey's preferred wisecracker, Dan Naturman.

Butler, via her official Website, groused: "As panel judges, we can say that (a) we were both surprised and disappointed at the results and (b) we had NOTHING to do with them."

Last Comic Standing, hosted by gagmeister Jay Mohr, is the comic version of American Idol, with the winner, as chosen by the viewing audience, receiving a talent deal with NBC. Last summer's premiere contest helped launch the careers of winner Dat Phan and runner-up and frequent Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn guest Ralphie May.

But, according to Carey, based on a disclaimer he was told about after he made a fuss about the judges' lack of input in the Las Vegas semifinal competition, even the audience voting during the broadcasted rounds of competition may not be the final arbiter of who wins the comedy crown.

Carey said producers pointed out to him that a brief disclaimer, which runs among the end credits of the show, leaves the final decision on all matters, including voting and casting, up to producers.

"It's not about who's funniest," Carey told Variety. "They were casting it. The producers can change the outcome of the show whenever they wish. Why would they have a contest and judges if they were just going to cast it anyway?"

Carey was traveling and unavailable for further comment Monday, but his publicist said the comic stood by his comments.

It's probably safe to say that Carey, who also told Variety that he consulted his attorney in the matter, probably won't be among the show's celeb judges in the future. "I thought the whole thing stunk, and I'm mad they had my name associated with it," he said. "I've got a certain amount of integrity in this business and I'm not going to be compromised. You can't use me and my reputation. Do it with someone else's reputation."

NBC's response to the brouhaha? The network essentially confirmed Carey's claim about the disclaimer, minus the crooked and dishonest bits, natch.

"The casting decisions were made by NBC and NBC Studios in consultation with talent scouts and we appreciate their valuable input," the network said in a statement. "Now that the 10 participants have been selected, the program will begin. As was the case last season, during the show, the comic elimination decisions will now be made by audiences who watch the comics perform, without any input from NBC, NBC Studios or anyone else associated with the program."

So let the search for the next Dat Phan begin.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now thats funny :lmao:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, that kind of sucks in reading that...I know there are two guys last night who I thought should have made it.

No wonder it seemed so good this go around compared to season 1...

Mike

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disapointed in reading Carey's article. Especially since he gave away part of the next show!

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
I meet Larke Miller in LA, who made it to the regionals for that show. My friend knows her. Is she still on it? I haven't had a chance to watch.

www.larkemiller.com

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I saw the disclaimer at the end of the last show. Had to rewind it to make sure I had read it correctly, I read it correctly.

The talent scouts have predetermined who would be advancing and judging is not based on the comedians performance on that night.

In a nut shell.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of a sad episode last night...John Heffron is my favorite of the comedians left, but he really didn't know what he was doing last night in voting for Bonnie.

He listened to that punk Ant, and just went with the crowd...

Anyways, some funny stuff, these guys are pretty funny.

Mike

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Ant has to go.

So many of the people I liked didn't make it to the house. Ugh.

I can't stand that Glass guy. He's actually somewhat funny on this show, but my sis, bro and I saw his stand up on tv and he was making fun of the handicapped and whatnot. (Sensitive topic with me. Cousin is autistic.) I'm all for a joke, but he was a pretty big ass about it. None of us liked him and my bro and sis are a lot more tolerant in that department than me.

Seems like too many people crying and moaning this season. I can hear that hanging out with my friends, although they are not quite as funny.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jersey Girl Cards Fan said:
Yeah, Ant has to go.

So many of the people I liked didn't make it to the house. Ugh.

ant is there because he was cast, because he's gay and they thought it made for better tv. That was one of the things that was being complained about.

KSJO radio had an interview with Pablo Francisco who didn't make it(he was the guy who did the Mexican music radio station impersonation where he said they sound like they're shrinking as they talk etc). He said he wasn't too bitter about not making it once he found out the realities of the show, that it wasn't a comedy contest it was a "reality show featuring comics"

Basically he said once he realized they weren't picking the best comics just the ones who made for the best TV, he was fine not making it. he said that Ant, and Glass were the 2 least popular guys among the other comics and that nobody was surprised they made it because they obviously were picked to create conflict.

What was interesting is if you watched last year, one of the reasons Ant did NOT get picked was one of the judges(think it was Joe Roman) said his entire act is about being gay "I want to know if you can say anything funny that's not about you being gay?" That was unpopular at the time because they were saying Ralphie's act is about being fat, Dat Phan's about being Vietnamese so why single out the guy guy? I have a sneaky suspicion that's another reason they picked Ant this year, to smooth that over.

Francisco suggested that Jay Mohr is none too happy with this years show either he thinks they are not doing the show he thought they were doing, a comedy contest.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
KSJO radio had an interview with Pablo Francisco who didn't make it(he was the guy who did the Mexican music radio station impersonation where he said they sound like they're shrinking as they talk etc). He said he wasn't too bitter about not making it once he found out the realities of the show, that it wasn't a comedy contest it was a "reality show featuring comics"
Pablo Francisco was one of the guys that DIDN'T make it through that shocked me. I thought his :30 seconds was better than anyone else's that night.

Although, I also liked Glass. Even if he is a *******, he's a funny *******.