Lakers @ Suns 11-16-15

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then maybe you could explain what you expected 10 games into his 3rd year that makes him such a disappointment.

Well, his base stats do nothing to indicate a potential stud. But as you said, he is developmental. What worries me more is watching him. He vanishes for long stretches, virtually all his scoring comes from a someone getting him the ball directly under the hoop, and even then, if someone gets over to contest its usually an awkward effort to finish.

While he does not rebound well he is good at keeping plays alive with his tips, and he does do a good job around the rim on help D when in the right spot.

Overall he is exceeding my expectations of him from the moment we drafted him... because I thought he'd be sending out his resume to European clubs by now. Instead I think he is going to end up as a decent backup center.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you think the odds are that the Lakers pick turns out to be a better player than Knight?

Funny thing about that. I couldn't help but wonder if the Suns could draft a player better than Julius Randle... or a player like D'Angelo Russell with the pick. The NBA draft is mostly a crap shoot.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Anybody still hate the Knight acquisition?

I remain skeptical. Knight has played his best, by far, when Bledsoe has been off the floor. When he gets it going, he can be an effective scoring PG. But I don't think he's any better in that role than Bledsoe is, so right now he's an expensive, if skilled, backup. To be convincing, the Bledsoe/Knight pairing is going to have to progress beyond two guys taking turns on who gets to be The Man.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remain skeptical. Knight has played his best, by far, when Bledsoe has been off the floor. When he gets it going, he can be an effective scoring PG. But I don't think he's any better in that role than Bledsoe is, so right now he's an expensive, if skilled, backup. To be convincing, the Bledsoe/Knight pairing is going to have to progress beyond two guys taking turns on who gets to be The Man.

I used to think the Suns acquired Brandon Knight as a temporary fix in the backcourt and a possible future trade asset... or the same with Bledsoe. Now I'm not sure if Hornacek and McDonough are thinking that way. Maybe they ride it for what it is worth.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Knight seems to have off and on games. One game he's on, the next one he's off. Then he's on again and the next one he's off.

The question is if he can put together a string of good games and stop being inconsistent.

It's certainly possible. Bledsoe used to have this same issue but looks to have fixed it this season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Knight seems to have off and on games. One game he's on, the next one he's off. Then he's on again and the next one he's off.

The question is if he can put together a string of good games and stop being inconsistent.

It's certainly possible. Bledsoe used to have this same issue but looks to have fixed it this season.
What's your definition of a "string"? Because outside of a 10 point game vs Denver, he's been fairly consistent his year.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What's your definition of a "string"? Because outside of a 10 point game vs Denver, he's been fairly consistent his year.

He didn't play very well in the first Clippers game either, took a ton of bad shots even though he finished with 8 assists. The Mavs game wasn't particularly impressive either.

When I say string, I mean string of really impactful, $70 mil player type games like Bledsoe's had this season. Live up to the $70 million contract. Like I said earlier, he's certainly capable of it and he's shown that.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What do you think the odds are that the Lakers pick turns out to be a better player than Knight?

Wrong question.

What do you think the odds are that we can acquire a pick or a player that offers higher probability of becoming a star than the Lakers pick does?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
He didn't play very well in the first Clippers game either, took a ton of bad shots even though he finished with 8 assists. The Mavs game wasn't particularly impressive either.

When I say string, I mean string of really impactful, $70 mil player type games like Bledsoe's had this season. Live up to the $70 million contract. Like I said earlier, he's certainly capable of it and he's shown that.

Pretty good one two punch

GAME STATISTICS
PLAYER GP GS MIN PPG OFFR DEFR RPG APG SPG BPG TPG FPG A/TO PER
Eric Bledsoe, PG 10 10 33.4 23.0 0.5 3.6 4.1 5.9 2.10 0.50 3.6 2.5 1.6 25.3
Brandon Knight, PG 10 10 34.4 20.2 0.8 3.5 4.3 5.0 1.40 0.60 3.0 2.1 1.7 19.7

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, although I believe the Suns need to expand their focus from a two PG system. However, that is where the talent is right now so the Suns can't neglect their strength. I want the Suns to get more players involved.

I do miss that Lakers pick.

How can you miss it if you don't even know who it will be yet?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wrong question.

What do you think the odds are that we can acquire a pick or a player that offers higher probability of becoming a star than the Lakers pick does?
:yeahthat:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I miss the asset even if I do not know the player it might bring.

And do you think the mystery player is going to be any better than Knight?

If someone gave you the option of an unnamed 23 year old player putting up around 20/5/4 or a potential lottery pick, what would you pick?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If someone gave you the option of an unnamed 23 year old player putting up around 20/5/4 or a potential lottery pick, what would you pick?

I will say that three out of the top four picks in this last draft look like they will be star players. That was a good draft. Not sure about the upcoming one.

I would probably trade Knight for any one of those three.

I feel sorry for the Lakers. Looks like Russell might not be all that.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will say that three out of the top four picks in this last draft look like they will be star players. That was a good draft. Not sure about the upcoming one.

I would probably trade Knight for any one of those three.

I feel sorry for the Lakers. Looks like Russell might not be all that.

Keeping the pick would not have given us any chance at one of those guys. Pretty good chance the pick does not get conveyed this year either as the Lakers look pathetic.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Keeping the pick would not have given us any chance at one of those guys. Pretty good chance the pick does not get conveyed this year either as the Lakers look pathetic.

Yeah I was kind of figuring that pick would end up around 8-10. Looks like it might actually be top 3 at the rate the Lakers are going.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
So it looks like, after everything washes out, trading Steve Nash to the Lakers got them basically Knight and Goodwin. If someone knows differently or knows where to find out for sure let me know.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So it looks like, after everything washes out, trading Steve Nash to the Lakers got them basically Knight and Goodwin. If someone knows differently or knows where to find out for sure let me know.

Turned out ok.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah I was kind of figuring that pick would end up around 8-10. Looks like it might actually be top 3 at the rate the Lakers are going.

Yes, and this actually what saves a trade for us in my eyes since it is unlikely that the Lakers will get so little from the FA market one more time, Kobe will retire, Randle and Russell will improve and they might get back into the play-off picture quite quickly.

A late lottery pick is a reasonable/kind of steal price for Knight.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

McDonough took the bird in the hand approach which devilalum suggests. I never said I wanted to keep the pick over Knight. However, I trust McDonough and support the trade for Knight. I still wish the trade could have been completed without giving up the Lakers pick but so be it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like how you word it. Awesome trade because the Suns were not going to keep Nash anyway.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen