Kyler Murray Contract Extended

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Agree 100%. I’m routinely criticized for my support of Murray. And questioned why I’m more critical of the organization than I am of Murray. This organization has been incompetent for 98% of the almost 60 years that I’ve been a fan. At least Murray has been great far more than he hasn’t been. It’s being ridiculous that our moron owner would share that in a contract. This is exactly why this organization hasn’t won a championship in close to 80 stinking years.
The optics of it look bad from an organizational stand point as usual but Kyler is the one that comes off looking like a clown. Hence all the media smack down. I'm glad Kyler feels disrespected. He should feel embarrassed as well, just like every fan was embarrassed of his performance in the playoffs. Maybe that will light a fire under him (doubtful).
However, this also should have fallen on the head coach. Obviously this has been a point of contention for the organization, so it should have been nipped in the bud year 1. The fact that Coach Bro choose to coddle Kyler instead of making him prepare properly is part of the problem. This should have been expected of him from the beginning. One thing about Arians, he had no problem putting the smack down on 1st round picks (remember "knee-deep").

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The optics of it look bad from an organizational stand point as usual but Kyler is the one that comes off looking like a clown. Hence all the media smack down. I'm glad Kyler feels disrespected. He should feel embarrassed as well, just like every fan was embarrassed of his performance in the playoffs. Maybe that will light a fire under him (doubtful).
However, this also should have fallen on the head coach. Obviously this has been a point of contention for the organization, so it should have been nipped in the bud year 1. The fact that Coach Bro choose to coddle Kyler instead of making him prepare properly is part of the problem. This should have been expected of him from the beginning. One thing about Arians, he had no problem putting the smack down on 1st round picks (remember "knee-deep").
Exactly why K1 addressed the media today was to debunk those that are making the attempt to question the work he puts in. Like the old adage says “there are many ways to skin a cat”. There are also many ways for a QB to prepare himself weekly. It’s asinine beyond words to believe that a kid that went 43-0 in HS, won a Heisman, was OROY and in 2 Pro Bowls in his 3 years in the NFL somehow isn’t preparing himself??? So who am I to believe? The owner who demanded that be put that stupidity into the contract? The same ownership that I’ve watched for 60 years be absolutely incompetent? The same ownership that let Joe Namath sign with the minor league AFL way back in 65? The same ownership that routinely purposely drafted 2nd rounders in the 1st round so that they could low ball them in their contracts? The same ownership that fired Don Coryell for asking for help on the defensive side of the ball? The same ownership that let star RB’s like McArthur Lane, Terry Metcalf, and OJ Anderson walk away for a song & dance? The same ownership that wouldn’t pay Dave Butz, who then went to Washington and won multiple SB’s? It goes on and on and on. And I’ve been around to see it all. So, excuse the hell out of me for taking the side of the star player on this one. Kudos to Murray for stepping up today and addressing this nonsense. Just hoping that the team’s play on the field puts this bs on the back pages where it belongs.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
This clause is stupid despite the situation. this is not much different than players paying for the overnight Fed Ex envelope and the Gatorade fridge being locked on Tuesdays

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I actually like that K1 did this. Seems like the first adult thing he's done this offseason. He came out and directly addressed it, instead of letting the story build.
I like that he did it. I do find it funny that he is the one that did the article that started this. I also find it funny that he couldn’t get to this level without being a student of the game. There is work that goes into being a professional athlete. It is a job. The difference is what you do outside of the office. How much do you study? What is your response when you don’t achieve what you want? Do you take ownership over the entire end product or just your part?

Kyler is gifted. Fact. He does amazing things on the field. He also looks lost at times and can struggle with adjusting his game. Can he learn to play like Colt McCoy when that is what it takes to win that game? We will see.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler responded in exactly the wrong way. He should have owned it and said he needs to work harder. That's true of everyone in the org. To get defensive is never a good look.
Yeah, I thought he came off lame, especially with an EA$Y shirt to troll the media.

No one would be talking about this if he hadn’t made the idiotic statement about being the Neo of the NFL and then followed it up by faceplanting down the stretch in an ugly 1-5 finish.

Last edited:

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought he came off lane, especially with an EA$Y shirt to troll the media.

No one would be talking about this if he hadn’t made the idiotic statement about being the Neo of the NFL and then followed it up by faceplanting down the stretch in an ugly 1-5 finish.
What does that mean exactly “came off lane”?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
He could have been asked the question:

Kyler, I read an article quoting you that said you didn't need to study a ton of film (actually quote the piece) and ask him to confirm or deny if the quote was taken out of context. And if it was correct, what did he mean by that?

That's how you ask about it without asking about it.

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Lame. Typo.

Especially when he talked about all he’d accomplished. Speaks to a guy who believes individual awards are the goal and not team success because he hasn’t accomplished squat as far as that’s concerned.
Got it now thanks :)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Exactly why K1 addressed the media today was to debunk those that are making the attempt to question the work he puts in. Like the old adage says “there are many ways to skin a cat”. There are also many ways for a QB to prepare himself weekly. It’s asinine beyond words to believe that a kid that went 43-0 in HS, won a Heisman, was OROY and in 2 Pro Bowls in his 3 years in the NFL somehow isn’t preparing himself??? So who am I to believe? The owner who demanded that be put that stupidity into the contract? The same ownership that I’ve watched for 60 years be absolutely incompetent? The same ownership that let Joe Namath sign with the minor league AFL way back in 65? The same ownership that routinely purposely drafted 2nd rounders in the 1st round so that they could low ball them in their contracts? The same ownership that fired Don Coryell for asking for help on the defensive side of the ball? The same ownership that let star RB’s like McArthur Lane, Terry Metcalf, and OJ Anderson walk away for a song & dance? The same ownership that wouldn’t pay Dave Butz, who then went to Washington and won multiple SB’s? It goes on and on and on. And I’ve been around to see it all. So, excuse the hell out of me for taking the side of the star player on this one. Kudos to Murray for stepping up today and addressing this nonsense. Just hoping that the team’s play on the field puts this bs on the back pages where it belongs.
Teflon Kyler. The kid could probably pee in your Cheerios and you'd swear it's milk :D

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lame. Typo.

Especially when he talked about all he’d accomplished. Speaks to a guy who believes individual awards are the goal and not team success because he hasn’t accomplished squat as far as that’s concerned.

I thought he was passionate, speaking off the cuff, flustered, and embarrassed. People absolutely will list their successes when their work ethic is questioned.

That's the start of him changing. He has never called a conference like that. I want him pissed off all year.

The worst thing I would want is platitudes to the press and a lack of emotion.

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I could be way off base, but the way I interpreted the heart of his response to the important question is that he enjoys breaking down film much more with his teammates and coaches than on his own. If that’s the case I totally get it as most things in life are more enjoyable when others are with you. However, I also interpret that to mean he doesn’t quite know how to study film properly on his own, is having a hard time admitting it and/or asking for help, which makes sense knowing his personality. The reality is there’s no shame in that, but doesn’t need to be said publicly imo although the contract addendum definitely insinuates it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Best young QB in Cardinal history. And I've been around long enough to say that without any reservation. To argue that is asinine.
No one's arguing that. Literally no one. What almost everyone is doing is admitting the warts he has. Do you deny this? I mean, I know the answer, but seeing if you'll be honest about it lol

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought he was passionate, speaking off the cuff, flustered, and embarrassed. People absolutely will list their successes when their work ethic is questioned.

That's the start of him changing. He has never called a conference like that. I want him pissed off all year.

The worst thing I would want is platitudes to the press and a lack of emotion.
Whatever works to motivate him. He’s not just an all world talent, he’s got all universe talent. He’s got to have the will to maximize it and hopefully all the criticism will be fuel for his fire.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No one's arguing that. Literally no one. What almost everyone is doing is admitting the warts he has. Do you deny this? I mean, I know the answer, but seeing if you'll be honest about it lol
Why are you obsessing over what warts you think he has???? His overall skill set is better than any QB in the NFL. Maximize what he does great, and that's a TON, and that will more than compensate for the stuff that he needs to continue to work on. He's 24 years old & needs to continue to mature emotionally. Why is that so bad, especially when you consider he only played 1 year of college. If we had passed on Murray, the Niners would have drafted him. Under Shanihan, they would already have won 2 SB's with Murray. You should kiss the ground you walk on that he's a Cardinal & not a Niner.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Kind of have to agree for the most part. Now he may not be studying film as much as he maybe should, but he is obviously doing it to some extent. There is no way he would have even the amount of success that he has had without a decent amount of film study.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose