Kyler is feeling better and hoping to play....

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As much as I’m ready for him to be back on the field, is he even close?

I’m really getting the sense the Cards organization have been down playing the severity of the injury all along.

With all the conflicting reports I really don’t know what to believe.

Immediately after the injury Kyler said he was fine. Heading into the game against SF Kyler said he expected to play. Then when he didn’t, he said he made crazy progress the week before playing Carolina, only for him to not play again.

And if he is still gingerly walking around with a noticeable limp, does he realistically have a shot of playing against Seattle? The evidence seems to point to no. Yet Kliff said as far as K1 playing Sunday, “it’s going to be close.”

I understand gainsmanship, but it just feels like the organization is being deceptive to the fans at this point. If he’s hurt just tell us he’s not playing.

I hate to say it but with the Rams losing on Monday I think that result all but guaranteed Kyler isn’t playing against Seattle.

Last edited by a moderator:

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I personally don't think they're downplaying it. It is what it is, it's a high ankle with a min 3 weeks. All the talk about him maybe playing this week or that week is just gamesmanship and messing with opposing teams (what else can you do). I expect him to miss another game and go into the bye week and then come out like game 1 of regular season. I approve of that philosophy. I'd even be happy if Hop sits another week and goes into the bye and rests some more.

This season is unlike any other with the extra game and Covid. Teams who manage their players and staff the best are going to come out on top. I think our Cardinals have managed that better than any team in the NFL and we have a 1.5 game lead over the Rams in our division. I'd sit Kyler and Hop another week and go into the bye. This isn't about stats or MVP's, I think this team is all in on SB and this the way to do it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I’m really getting the sense the Cards organization have been down playing the severity of the injury all along.

Immediately after the injury Kyler said he was fine. Heading into the game against SF Kyler said he expected to play. Then when he didn’t, he said he made crazy progress the week before playing Carolina, only for him to not play again.

And if he is still gingerly walking around with a noticeable limp, does he realistically have a shot of playing against Seattle? The evidence seems to point to no. Yet Kliff said as far as K1 playing Sunday, “it’s going to be close.”

I understand gainsmanship, but it just feels like the organization is being deceptive to the fans at this point. If he’s hurt just tell us he’s not playing.

I hate to say it but with the Rams losing on Monday I think that result all but guaranteed Kyler isn’t playing against Seattle.

You should be happy about that. How bad would it suck if we rush him back too early, he aggravates the injury, and we collapse again like we did last year?

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im
Coming around to eating a two game losing streak for the greater good of the season. That will give Kyler and Hop almost five total weeks off to heal. If they’re healthy and the o-line is ready to roll, we’ll start steamrolling teams again.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Does seem to be the case.

Im
Coming around to eating a two game losing streak for the greater good of the season. That will give Kyler and Hop almost five total weeks off to heal. If they’re healthy and the o-line is ready to roll, we’ll start steamrolling teams again.
Keim needs to send a direct order to Kliff to scrap the called QB runs. Read option with the wrs blocking no one could have easilly ended with Kyler getting a lisfranc injury. The way his foot was trapped I feared thats what it was. Thus ending his season. We are truly lucky the injury wasnt as bad as it could have been.

Trust our backs. Trust Kyler can keep passing well from the pocket and we should continue to roll. If not, then it only takes one run for it to be over.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
high ankle sprains can nag.... best for Kyler to sit until after the bye. even then we might not have seen the end of it.
at the same time, let Hop sit and keep rehabbing his hammy...let Pugh and Garcia heal as well
get all those guys back healthy after the bye and we are looking strong.... the only concern is the hags game and honestly thats just a matter of pride...as a division rival it would be great to kick them while they are down but the smart move is to let them do it to us instead.... we have something to lose and a reason to plan for the end of the season... they dont

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Im
No thank you. I'm not at all in favor of eating a losing streak. This kid MUST learn how to play hurt or he'll never have a good NFL career. Players, even QBs, are banged up ALL THE TIME. If he can't play hurt, he'll never be the guy we need. This would make it 2 years in a row his injuries have hurt us. If it's something he can shoot up and play with, that needs to happen. He'll sooner or later need to learn to play effectively while hurt.

The only way I don't want him going at this point is for an actual significant injury, and we can't know how bad it is. It is just SUPER frustrating to have what appears to be an MVP-caliber QB that just can't seem to stay healthy enough early in his career.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
No thank you. I'm not at all in favor of eating a losing streak. This kid MUST learn how to play hurt or he'll never have a good NFL career. Players, even QBs, are banged up ALL THE TIME. If he can't play hurt, he'll never be the guy we need. This would make it 2 years in a row his injuries have hurt us. If it's something he can shoot up and play with, that needs to happen. He'll sooner or later need to learn to play effectively while hurt.

The only way I don't want him going at this point is for an actual significant injury, and we can't know how bad it is. It is just SUPER frustrating to have what appears to be an MVP-caliber QB that just can't seem to stay healthy enough early in his career.
Good points but this is a significant injury that will take 3 games and a bye week to heal for a young, strong Murray. Glazer said 1-3 weeks and he has his sources. The Cards record allowed them to rest Murray through week 12 and then return week 13. If I'm the Cards, I run a lot on Seattle. Conner will get a lot of work running between the tackles and screen passes. Benjamin will also get some carries, maybe 10 to 12. If this game goes well, Streveler maybe throws 12 to 15 passes, runs 10 to 12 times himself. If we can steal a Seattle, and the SF victory on the road, that will be huge while resting players until after the bye week.

Strongstyle

Rookie
Reaction score

I don't get this take at all. This isn't about if he can play on it or not, it's about whether the risk of him injuring it more is worth it, and it's absolutely not if we want a long post season run. It's not like it's his choice. He would clearly be out there on it if it was.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Good points but this is a significant injury that will take 3 games and a bye week to heal for a young, strong Murray. Glazer said 1-3 weeks and he has his sources. The Cards record allowed them to rest Murray through week 12 and then return week 13. If I'm the Cards, I run a lot on Seattle. Conner will get a lot of work running between the tackles and screen passes. Benjamin will also get some carries, maybe 10 to 12. If this game goes well, Streveler maybe throws 12 to 15 passes, runs 10 to 12 times himself. If we can steal a Seattle, and the SF victory on the road, that will be huge while resting players until after the bye week.
I hear you on the injury. The problem with the game plan is, with McCoy and/or Streveler, teams will simply stack the box. When you know the opposing QB is absolutely no threat, it hurts all phases of the offense.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
I would send everyone deep early and get that long throw. I watched Streveler in preseason and last game and he got better at throwing as he got more reps. He's not the best quarterback but he can run his way to a few 1st downs and loosen up the defense. Really, the defense has to have a big day, make plays for the Cards to win. But if Streveler can manage we have a shot.

QuebecCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

High ankle sprains, as calf and hamstring pull, are not simple pain threshold issues that can be alleviated with a shot or pill. Your leg or appendage simply does not function properly, and you leave the player open to greater risk of injury.

TIME heals!

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm with you on this Stout. We all know last year went south because Kyler was hurt. The good position the team is in right how is fantastic and I, for one, will be suicidal if this season goes off the rails for the same reason. I don't think there is blame to lay on anyone, injuries happen but as you said it's super frustrating.

Part of it may be that opponents are scheming their defenses to better contain him so the chances of him getting injured have increased as he now has greater exposure. I don't doubt the young man, he knows his body. He'll know when he can go.

I also have no clue what part the coaches are playing in this. What is their strategy? Are they willing to just go with McCoy and let the chips fall where they may? Kyler, for me anyway, is tough to read. Sometimes he seems like he's all in and other times he seems disinterested. I have no clue for that either.

Is it a matter of playing through pain or an actual injury? I think it was Bill Parcells who said there's a difference between being hurt and being injured.

Not much has been said on Dhop either unless I've missed it, other than being bummed he's unable to play.... hammy injuries take time. What part might his injury have in this? Maybe the coaches don't want Kyler out there without Dhop... I dunno, just a thought.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I understand gamesmanship, but it just feels like the organization is being deceptive to the fans at this point. If he’s hurt just tell us he’s not playing.
Yeah, that's been KK2's MO - and it makes them look stupid. Like that really is going to give them some kind of advantage?

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Gambo has been calling K1's injury a high ankle sprain for weeks. High ankle sprains linger for weeks. Sit him in seattle.

Hopkins is the one you really worry about being a soft tissue can linger for MONTHS

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

The last part of this i hate but fully agree with. No matter what we do this Sunday. We will be first in the division. But let’s look at this. The NFC is so jumbled now that unless you get the bye and there is only 1. What do you gain From winning the division!??? Playing at home isn’t as big to us I don’t think. And which team do we play isn’t either. I mean right now we play Carolina which to me would be worse than playing most of the others. We still have the Rams and Cowboys on our schedule so home field is going to come down to those game’s. GB is the key and do we want to go after the bye? Meaning we need to be 1 full game up on them. Where do we gain it? If we lose this weekend and Goto 8-3 and they Goto 9-2. Then I see where we don’t go after the #1 seed. I mean everyone plays the first week except that team. So why does it matter. You have to beat 2 really good teams no matter what and yes 3 if you play first week.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The last part of this i hate but fully agree with. No matter what we do this Sunday. We will be first in the division. But let’s look at this. The NFC is so jumbled now that unless you get the bye and there is only 1. What do you gain From winning the division!??? Playing at home isn’t as big to us I don’t think. And which team do we play isn’t either. I mean right now we play Carolina which to me would be worse than playing most of the others. We still have the Rams and Cowboys on our schedule so home field is going to come down to those game’s. GB is the key and do we want to go after the bye? Meaning we need to be 1 full game up on them. Where do we gain it? If we lose this weekend and Goto 8-3 and they Goto 9-2. Then I see where we don’t go after the #1 seed. I mean everyone plays the first week except that team. So why does it matter. You have to beat 2 really good teams no matter what and yes 3 if you play first week.
Why does it matter? You literally just explained why it matters. Much easier to win two games against playoff teams than three. Much easier.

OP
OP
JosiahLee

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Why does it matter? You literally just explained why it matters. Much easier to win two games against playoff teams than three. Much easier.
For what it's worth I went back over recent playoff history (the last 15 years) and the record for home teams in the playoffs is 95-57 which is a winning percentage of 62.5%. That means that in modern playoff history the home team wins 2 out of 3 times. I'd say homefield advantage come playoffs is still important.