Kyler is feeling better and hoping to play....

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
For what it's worth I went back over recent playoff history (the last 15 years) and the record for home teams in the playoffs is 95-57 which is a winning percentage of 62.5%. That means that in modern playoff history the home team wins 2 out of 3 times. I'd say homefield advantage come playoffs is still important.

JosiahLee, let's say ARZ played GB in a home playoff game, do you think there would be far fewer GB fans vs. a regular season game, so that the SFS crowd would be rocking when GB was trying to run their offense?

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JosiahLee, let's say ARZ played GB in a home playoff game, do you think there would be far fewer GB fans vs. a regular season game, so that the SFS crowd would be rocking we GB was trying to run their offense?

yes. I've already witnessed this back in 2010. The last game of the regular season was against the Pack and the place had a ton of Packers fans there. The next week we played them in the Wild Card round and Cards fans packed the house. Of course there was still a solid number of Packer fans (there are in ANY stadium... a very odd national following for some podunk town in Wisconsin), but the Cardinals fans were overwhelming.

I'd expect the same this year as well.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I've already witnessed this back in 2010. The last game of the regular season was against the Pack and the place had a ton of Packers fans there. The next week we played them in the Wild Card round and Cards fans packed the house.
2015 as well. I think 2nd to last home game was vs the Pack

big diff between the regular season and the playoff game

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Jumping up and down means nothing. There's not 5 300lb dudes chasing and trying to kill him on the sidelines. It's not the same as planting on that ankle, rotating your hips, and then ripping through with a pass, where the brunt of that force is on that leg and ankle and plant foot. If you just want him to play and hop up and down in the pocket then he can play and we can kiss our playoff and SB chances goodbye.

OP
OP
JosiahLee

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Real question.

So what happens if Kyler still isn’t “healthy” after the bye. Do we continue to sit him for another game, two, or three? At what point do you just throw him out there?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Jumping up and down means nothing. There's not 5 300lb dudes chasing and trying to kill him on the sidelines. It's not the same as planting on that ankle, rotating your hips, and then ripping through with a pass, where the brunt of that force is on that leg and ankle and plant foot. If you just want him to play and hop up and down in the pocket then he can play and we can kiss our playoff and SB chances goodbye.

Why not just save him for next year? He’s the franchise QB and he gives us the best chance to win. He’s playing.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
For what it's worth I went back over recent playoff history (the last 15 years) and the record for home teams in the playoffs is 95-57 which is a winning percentage of 62.5%. That means that in modern playoff history the home team wins 2 out of 3 times. I'd say homefield advantage come playoffs is still important.

This is true. However, the Cards have been atrocious at home this year, and strangely a much better road team. Which is the complete opposite of pretty much every successful season in their history. Including the good Warner years with the dismal road performances (granted many years they were terrible both at home and on the road).

However, trying to get the #1 seed and a bye would still be nice, and a loss to Seattle would make that possibility more difficult obviously.

Last edited:

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why does it matter? You literally just explained why it matters. Much easier to win two games against playoff teams than three. Much easier.
Yes but we play better on the road. So I’m saying the extra game doesn’t hurt us because of that

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is true. However, the Cards have been atrocious at home this year, and strangely a much better road team. Which is the complete opposite of pretty much every successful season in their history. Including the good Warner years with the dismal road performances (granted many years they were terrible both at home and on the road).

However, trying to get the #1 seed and a bye would still be nice, and a loss to Seattle would make that possibility more difficult obviously.

I also worry about the “uh oh’s” setting in if we lose, making it 3 of our last 4. Fear it could put shades of last year’s collapse in their heads.

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like we’re done if all our stars are out until week 15, there’s no way this team competes. We’ll be lucky to make the playoffs. Oh well….maybe next year.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Real question.

So what happens if Kyler still isn’t “healthy” after the bye. Do we continue to sit him for another game, two, or three? At what point do you just throw him out there?
When the division is on the line.

I mean to be honest, I'd rather have the 7th seed with a healthy Kyler/Nuk than the 1st seed and they are still hobbled. I'm sure we are trying to find the middle ground there.

OP
OP
JosiahLee

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I get your viewpoint, but I also think there is an argument to be made that the division is on the line. We are only 1 game up on an opponent whom we still have to play, whom is healthier than us.

When we were 6-3 last year I though the playoffs were a given. I was dead wrong. Even at 8-6, all we had to do was beat SF without their starting QB then the Rams without their starting QB. We all witnessed how that turned out.

I do think there’s an argument to be made that winning games now is just as important as winning after the bye and into December. You can never build enough margin between you and the teams behind you.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every game counts. This game in Seattle is every bit as important as the game in Phoenix. In fact, it is much more likely that game is unimportant because whatever position we are in can be clinched going into that game.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I get your viewpoint, but I also think there is an argument to be made that the division is on the line. We are only 1 game up on an opponent whom we still have to play, whom is healthier than us.

When we were 6-3 last year I though the playoffs were a given. I was dead wrong. Even at 8-6, all we had to do was beat SF without their starting QB then the Rams without their starting QB. We all witnessed how that turned out.

I do think there’s an argument to be made that winning games now is just as important as winning after the bye and into December. You can never build enough margin between you and the teams behind you.
Okay, but we already have 8 wins. 1 more most likely gets us in, let alone 2. Have you seen 6th/7th seed? But nothing is a given, true. Just we are in a much safer position talking about playoff ticket only.

1 seed is probably not gunna happen, as we have to finish a game better than them. Even with a healthy Kyler, would you think we have a good chance?

We can finish tie record with Rams and still win the division. Division is the most important. Luckily the Rams play the Packers still, so that's going to be a big factor and our Rams matchup. We just don't want to be the 4th seed.

Is this weekend big? Of course, every game is and no game is easy. If Kyler is fine, sure. But another week or two of healing in exchange for a loss (although still possible we win), could set his ankle well (hopefully, and probably) for a playoff run I am very sure we are making.

If he gets hurt, or a setback, it can bleed through the rest of the season and into playoffs.

Is the risk worth the reward?

Unless he is 90%, I hope they sit him. You win wars with attrition. We have to be careful. Kyler gone is a 2014 and end of 2020 (but in playoffs) ready to happen. I don't want to see that again so soon.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It's a complicated scenario. I can see the big picture but also as a Cardinal fan I cannot view the Cards as playing with house money right now. We have not made the playoffs yet and at the moment still do not have a winning record regardless of how many games left. Every game wasted, is a opportunity wasted for something we have of yet to achieve :)

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a complicated scenario. I can see the big picture but also as a Cardinal fan I cannot view the Cards as playing with house money right now. We have not made the playoffs yet and at the moment still do not have a winning record regardless of how many games left. Every game wasted, is a opportunity wasted for something we have of yet to achieve :)
This

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave