Kobe Bryant Dead: Helicopter Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is what led me to question if that was why Kobe disregarded the total (100% humidity) fog and
mountains and the Sheriff and Police Departments grounding their helicopters, but did not turn back.

It would be consistent with the behavior pattern of pompous and arrogant over the years.

Sad to think that he might have been, not only not a victim, but responsible for the deaths of eight
other people.

Whatever the authorities find in their analysis of the equipment, they should not have entered that
mountainous fog zone. And the pilot should have been aware that the helicopter was lacking certain
safety equipment and a black box.

I remember from driver's ed a long time ago . . . the person responsible for an accident is the one
who had the last clear chance to avoid it.

jesus christ... I've purposefully stayed out of this thread because I didn't want to upset people by my reaction (or non-reaction as it were), but the above is just f'n stupid and gross. If there was wrongdoing on the flight, an investigation will show that, but to start hypothesizing that Kobe might have been responsible is just such poor form I don't even know what to say about it to make it more clear that I believe everything you're writing, while bodies are still barely cold, is disgusting. have a little respect for the dead.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It’s important to remember the sexual assault case was thrown out. After it was dropped they settled in civil court and she agreed to never bring it up publicly. That might look guilty to some but it’s really not if you’re a celebrity or athlete.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s important to remember the sexual assault case was thrown out. After it was dropped they settled in civil court and she agreed to never bring it up publicly. That might look guilty to some but it’s really not if you’re a celebrity or athlete.
The only reason I brought it up was note how Kobe changed as a person after that incident. He did. By all accounts he was a loving father and husband--especially in the last few years.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If, as JC states, Kobe later came out and admitted nonconsensual I don’t know how much guesswork is left. But as I stated, I don’t recall ever hearing Kobe make such a statement.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Having seen, on several occasions, the ‘private’ Kobe with his wife and daughters I cannot imagine him putting some kind of “I’m a champion!” attitude before the safety of his daughter.

Just not going to happen. He also would not be showboating in front of the neighbors and his daughter’s friends. He was a solid, well-liked member of the community.

He proved himself on the court and let that speak for itself. Around his girls, he was the doting, proud dad everyone is happy to know.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
jesus christ... I've purposefully stayed out of this thread because I didn't want to upset people by my reaction (or non-reaction as it were), but the above is just f'n stupid and gross. If there was wrongdoing on the flight, an investigation will show that, but to start hypothesizing that Kobe might have been responsible is just such poor form I don't even know what to say about it to make it more clear that I believe everything you're writing, while bodies are still barely cold, is disgusting. have a little respect for the dead.

You're surprised that there are dissenting opinions on a sports board?

Are you forgetting that Suns fans hated Kobe's arrogance for years?

I do have respect for the dead. The eight innocent victims who died
because Kobe led them into an unsafe situation. And if it was the
pilot's decision, he was working for Kobe. Not vice versa.

I believe your anger is misplaced. It's OK. I can handle it.

But it is not about me. Or you. It is about eight people who had no
say in the matter and are now gone. Because of Kobe's exhibition
basketball game. That's gross!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If, as JC states, Kobe later came out and admitted nonconsensual I don’t know how much guesswork is left. But as I stated, I don’t recall ever hearing Kobe make such a statement.
Fair enough. I should not make a claim without giving the source. Here it is.

“Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter,” Bryant said in his 2004 apology.

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/the-catholic-faith-of-kobe-bryant-77371

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Those who think Kobe is a rapist need to read the details from the criminal case. Check out the Wikipedia on it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_Bryant_sexual_assault_case#

There are so many red flags, it's ridiculous. He was an adulterer, but a rapist he is not.

I hated him as a Suns fan because he killed us and was just ridiculously automatic, but his death is a tragedy for his family, friends and basketball as a whole.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

As JC just posted the quote it’s very carefully written to indirectly apologize but keeping up his side of the story.

It was a very odd trial given the details. They had DNA evidence to show she had possibly “done the deed” with other men close to this timeframe of the incident. Of course rape is rape whether she’s active in that lifestyle or not. The defense wanted to cross examine her and she wouldn’t testify. It’s understandable why she wouldn’t. Who would want their private life in the open?

I think they went up to “do the deed” and he was too rough. She didn’t like it and he thought consent to start meant consent to finish. I don’t want to sound like I’m attacking the victim but conventional wisdom says you don’t drink wine with a pro athlete in a hotel room to talk about life. If he wasn’t married I wonder how different the situation would’ve played out.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I like your realistic opinion. It might not be the time right now though. Everyone believing he was and still a saint. I’m somewhat of a realist and can see this happening. Yes he was with his daughter but we are all just humans who make wrong decisions all the time. Going to beat that yellow or red light, taking one chance at an illegal lane change, something unsafe at work and on and on. It could very well be that he urged the pilot on, it is possible is it not?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, is the standard for consent that the woman is actually consenting or the man THINKS she is consenting? I would think it is the former, not the latter. How can you have an accidental rape?

IMO, Kobe's statement was an admission of guilt, but not intent. That seemed to be enough for her, or at least as much as she felt she reasonably could expect since she took that and whatever settlement was agreed upon.

It is all a very sad situation.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like your realistic opinion. It might not be the time right now though. Everyone believing he was and still a saint. I’m somewhat of a realist and can see this happening. Yes he was with his daughter but we are all just humans who make wrong decisions all the time. Going to beat that yellow or red light, taking one chance at an illegal lane change, something unsafe at work and on and on. It could very well be that he urged the pilot on, it is possible is it not?
People can do amazingly horrible things, but to assume this with not one whit of an indication of its truth is the ultimate in assuming the worst about a person. He would risk his daughters life and the lives of nine other people just to go to a kids basketball game? Does not make sense. Makes him out to be an arrogant idiot.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People can do amazingly horrible things, but to assume this with not one whit of an indication of its truth is the ultimate in assuming the worst about a person. He would risk his daughters life and the lives of nine other people just to go to a kids basketball game? Does not make sense. Makes him out to be an arrogant idiot.

That’s is exactly it, it doesn’t seem like a risk to some people. Some people fail to step back and get the big picture while they’re in the moment.

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone. I’m just saying, it could be a possibility, could it not?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s is exactly it, it doesn’t seem like a risk to some people. Some people fail to step back and get the big picture while they’re in the moment.

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone. I’m just saying, it could be a possibility, could it not?
And its possible that you have killed someone too. But I am not even going there unless there is some actual reason to believe it. There is no reason to believe either.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
HBO posted the full segment that Real Sports did on Kobe's death from the most recent episode that aired. I watched it last night and thought it was one of the better pieces I've seen since his passing. It doesn't try to force a narrative, IMO. It just shows who he was based on the profiles they did of him over the years. It's 13 minutes but worth a watch.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

As often as Kobe flew and flew with this company around the LA area I doubt fog was anything new and I bet it wasn't even discussed.

Maybe lay off on labeling Kobe a murderer until you know more, this conversation is rather revolting.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Oh boy you’re off the deepend here.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Fair enough. I should not make a claim without giving the source. Here it is.

“Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter,” Bryant said in his 2004 apology.

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/the-catholic-faith-of-kobe-bryant-77371
Hmm that’s not exactly admitting it wasn’t nonconsensual. That’s like someone saying something offensive and saying, “I’m sorry you were took that offensively” instead of “what I said was wrong and I’m sorry.”

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmm that’s not exactly admitting it wasn’t nonconsensual. That’s like someone saying something offensive and saying, “I’m sorry you were took that offensively” instead of “what I said was wrong and I’m sorry.”
OK. I took it differently--obviousy.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Arrogant? -- that was indeed his reputation.

Idiot? -- no. Driven to the point of thinking he was invincible. Very possible. It made him a super-star.

Intelligence is made up of two components. Intellect and emotions.The balance is different from person to person.

The closest we can get to a conclusion? The outcome! Nine people died while flying into a heavily fogged mountainous
area, while Sheriff and Police helicopters were grounded. An exhibition basketball game is more important than law
enforcement officers fulfilling their job? Of course not!

The clip in Hoop Head's post above referred to Kobe as obsessive, which Kobe acknowledged as well.

By his own admission, he was driven to let nothing stop him.

Last edited:

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

In three posts you have speculated that it was Kobe’s fault, then justified that by stating it the authorities’ job to consider all possibilities, then decided that you are the authority. Because Kobe was arrogant on the basketball court? Where his daughter’s safety and the safety of other passengers was not an issue? Regardless of what happened, it seems like you want it to be Kobe’s fault.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Arrogant? -- that was indeed his reputation.

Idiot? -- no. Driven to the point of thinking he was invincible. Very possible. It made him a super-star.

Intelligence is made up of two components. Intellect and emotions.The balance is different from person to person.

The closest we can get to a conclusion? The outcome! Nine people died while flying into a heavily fogged mountainous
area, while Sheriff and Police helicopters were grounded. An exhibition basketball game is more important than law
enforcement officers fulfilling their job? Of course not!

The clip in Hoop Head's post above referred to Kobe as obsessive, which Kobe acknowledged as well.

That means he was driven to let nothing stop him.
Listen. I am not going to talk about this any more. I find it horribly distasteful.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I post about Kobe and the incident, and you guys post about me.

So I'll try to not repeat my opinion in a highly emotional situation.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’ve said my piece, and I don’t want the thread to get locked because there are better contributions to be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson