Kobe Bryant Dead: Helicopter Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The expert commercial helicopter pilot confirmed the strong possibility that I considered.

That the pilot might have said they need to land (or turn back), but Kobe (as his employer)
might have said, "I don't turn back. Continue on."

If so, the strong personality that drove Kobe (as Michael) to greatness became his own worst enemy.

You must be registered for see images attach

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The expert commercial helicopter pilot confirmed the strong possibility that I considered.

That the pilot might have said they need to land (or turn back), but Kobe (as his employer)

If so, the strong personality that drove Kobe (as Michael) to greatness became his own worst enemy.
Total wild speculation. Unprovable. There is nothing "confirmed" about speculation.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

His daughter was on board, man. And other parents and children. This is irresponsible.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The possibility, JC, the possibility. Which was something I had considered, when wondering why
Kobe and the pilot did not take the safe approach. Land before entering the fog or return home.

This isn't about winning a debate. It is about considering all of the ramifications, for the sake of
future safety.

We know that Kobe pushed himself to the limit to not just succeed, but become an all-time great.
In general, it is an admirable trait. The danger would be thinking he is invincible, especially in a life
or death situation.

Again, the Sheriff and Police departments grounded their helicopters because of the fog. And Kobe
knew the area well and had enough time in the air to know the danger of fog in a mountainous area.

I am aware of it from the drives I've made from Phoenix to visit close friends in Santa Barbara along
the South Coast PCH, especially before noon. Sadly the results prove they should have turned back.

My heart goes out to Kobe, his daughter and the pilot. But remember, six other people died as well.
There was a fault! And evidently, the authorities are going to take one year to eighteen months to
find out whose fault it was. By considering all of the possibilities, as we would expect them to.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Kobe's previous pilot has said that he was never pressured, at any time, if safety was an issue.

Also, the current pilot had permission and special training for fog/impaired visibility.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The rape accusation, as horrible a situation for everyone involved, changed Kobe’s life. He eventually made the amazing admission that while he thought it was consensual in the moment he later came to understand that it was not for the woman.

it was literally a “come to Jesus” experience. After that he dedicated himself to restoring his broken marriage, being a father and immersing himself in his faith, meanwhile remaining as competitive as ever in the court.

Kobe is an example of someone who changed for the good.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
My thinking on Kobe is I did not like him as a young man. These last years, he seemed to be really maturing and coming into his own as a person. It was like a human being blossoming. I feel sad that he was just starting life, really, despite what he did in the NBA.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The rape accusation, as horrible a situation for everyone involved, changed Kobe’s life. He eventually made the amazing admission that while he thought it was consensual in the moment he later came to understand that it was not for the woman.

it was literally a “come to Jesus” experience. After that he dedicated himself to restoring his broken marriage, being a father and immersing himself in his faith, meanwhile remaining as competitive as ever in the court.

His faith molded him into a better person... more self-aware... more humble:

Priest: Kobe Bryant sought redemption through his Catholic faith

In the Gospel of John, Jesus confronts an angry crowd intent on stoning a woman caught in adultery by saying, "He who is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone at her." (John 8:7) The point, of course, is that we are all sinners. We all fall short, some more publicly and perhaps more egregiously than others. But our faults never define the totality of who we are. Catholic theology teaches that forgiveness is within reach for anyone who professes true contrition and has an earnest desire to do better. Kobe was that man. He tried harder than most, on the court and off, and his efforts were rewarded.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/29/opinions/redemption-kobe-bryant-catholic-faith-beck/index.html

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

That’s interesting. I had never heard that.
It raises an interesting moral challenge. The good that he became should be lauded. But it can never undo the terrible act that he performed or the likely lasting emotional scar it left on its victim (or potentially victims as a rape advocate pointed out if it’s occurred once it’s likely occurred more frequently - particularly when the reason for contrition on the perpetrators part was having been caught).

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah i always felt the guy was an a-hole while playing. Until he retired you could see he was happier.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s interesting. I had never heard that.
It raises an interesting moral challenge. The good that he became should be lauded. But it can never undo the terrible act that he performed or the likely lasting emotional scar it left on its victim (or potentially victims as a rape advocate pointed out if it’s occurred once it’s likely occurred more frequently - particularly when the reason for contrition on the perpetrators part was having been caught).
I really do not like assuming more just because there seems to be a pattern with others. The do think that people often have single moments where they go over the line and then step back without it becoming a life habit.

we face the moral dilemma of consequences every day. Drunk drivers etc. It’s why we have to have this thing called forgiveness. In the end we know that trying to even the score just becomes more destructive for even more people. Settling out of court like Kobe did with this woman probably ended up being the best possible solution for her and for Kobe and his family. She needed to hear him say that he was wrong and take responsibility.

we are all flawed people. If you all believe in God, I hope you believe in a forgiving one.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I really do not like assuming more just because there seems to be a pattern with others. The do think that people often have single moments where they go over the line and then step back without it becoming a life habit.

we face the moral dilemma of consequences every day. Drunk drivers etc. It’s why we have to have this thing called forgiveness. In the end we know that trying to even the score just becomes more destructive for even more people. Settling out of court like Kobe did with this woman probably ended up being the best possible solution for her and for Kobe and his family. She needed to hear him say that he was wrong and take responsibility.

we are all flawed people. If you all believe in God, I hope you believe in a forgiving one.
Note I made no such assumption. I stated it was a possibility.

I likewise don’t like assuming what was in a rape victims best interest when we have virtually zero insight her life.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Note I made no such assumption. I stated it was a possibility.

I likewise don’t like assuming what was in a rape victims best interest when we have virtually zero insight her life.

Noted about the possibility rather than assumption. I did not intend my comment to be an attack on you in any way, just an offering of my own thoughts.

Likewise my comment about the woman. That is why I used the word “probably” based upon the fact that eventually it is the route she chose to take. I certainly don’t know for sure.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Interestingly enough I have a relatively large capacity for forgiveness. But my moral compass tends to remain a bit judgmental as to crimes people perpetrate that might/likely leave a lifetime scar on another person. We all have the capacity not to harm others through our actions or recklessness in the first place. Thus when someone does - and it can leave a lifetime indelible mark on the victim - I have a hard time finding compassion for the transgressor.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interestingly enough I have a relatively large capacity for forgiveness. But my moral compass tends to remain a bit judgmental as to crimes people perpetrate that might/likely leave a lifetime scar on another person. We all have the capacity not to harm others through our actions or recklessness in the first place. Thus when someone does - and it can leave a lifetime indelible mark on the victim - I have a hard time finding compassion for the transgressor.
I think we are close on this, especially when it is a deliberate selfish act. But lives can be scarred by mistakes, poor judgement, even innocent error too. But I am not telling you anything you don’t already know.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder what Raja Bell has to say about Kobe, i remember his words after the clothesline...pompous, arrogant...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think we are close on this, especially when it is a deliberate selfish act. But lives can be scarred by mistakes, poor judgement, even innocent error too. But I am not telling you anything you don’t already know.
Yes those to me are different scenarios. I meant to say knowing actions or recklessness. Missed an important word. I’m not a big fan of leeway with “poor judgment” as it’s still judgment. I wonder if this is what I consider “recklessness.” For instance, a drunk driver doesn’t go out to kill or maim someone, but their recklessness shows an indifference to others lives so that falls into my “less willing to forgive” category. I think manner characterize that as “poor judgment” and I think that’s glossing.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I wonder what Raja Bell has to say about Kobe, i remember his words after the clothesline...pompous, arrogant...

Which is what led me to question if that was why Kobe disregarded the total (100% humidity) fog and
mountains and the Sheriff and Police Departments grounding their helicopters, but did not turn back.

It would be consistent with the behavior pattern of pompous and arrogant over the years.

Sad to think that he might have been, not only not a victim, but responsible for the deaths of eight
other people.

Whatever the authorities find in their analysis of the equipment, they should not have entered that
mountainous fog zone. And the pilot should have been aware that the helicopter was lacking certain
safety equipment and a black box.

I remember from driver's ed a long time ago . . . the person responsible for an accident is the one
who had the last clear chance to avoid it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson