Kirk and Isabella..

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
One our first drive. 3 and long, why did we WR Screen Fitzgerald? That would have been a good opportunity to use Isabella and let him use his speed in space. I believe KK didn't have Isabella in the game plan this week. I am hoping soon he will be in a few packages.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Chris Simms was pretty critical of the 49ers scheme in that it refused to adjust to Deandre Hopkins

you have to believe that as teams roll coverage to Hopkins, it will open things up for the other WRs

but if they dont, is anyone going to complain about 14 for 154 every week?

DumboD

Rookie
Reaction score
We took what the defense gave us. Hopkins was open all day long, or at least, as open as a great receiver like he is needs to be. What do you expect Kingsbury to say, "Hopkins is catching too many, we need to get other receivers involved." That makes sense if you're getting badly beaten, but that wasn't the case. We'll make adjustments when they need to be made.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Isabella was K2's pick. Saw his reaction live at the draft. Pobody's Nerfect. Or maybe it just takes time?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
If you rarely use him in a game, we will really never know. It’s Kliff’s job to figure out how to use him. He flashed a few plays last preseason & had that big play against the Niners so we know he’s got big play abilities.

I still say it’s going to be hard to get reps when you have Dhop, Fitz & Kirk as your 3 guys. It’s a numbers game. I still say we won’t know what Isabella can/can’t do until 1 of those 3 are gone because he’s not going to see the field often.

Just my 2 cents
Isabella was K2's pick. Saw his reaction live at the draft. Pobody's Nerfect. Or maybe it just takes time?

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
If you rarely use him in a game, we will really never know. It’s Kliff’s job to figure out how to use him. He flashed a few plays last preseason & had that big play against the Niners so we know he’s got big play abilities.

I still say it’s going to be hard to get reps when you have Dhop, Fitz & Kirk as your 3 guys. It’s a numbers game. I still say we won’t know what Isabella can/can’t do until 1 of those 3 are gone because he’s not going to see the field often.

Just my 2 cents
I agree Mike. He is still on his rookie deal but you can't show much on the bench.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
Seeing Hopkins out there kinda makes tou realize we weren't as talented in the wr group as we may have thought.

As teams focus on stopping Hopkins, other will get opportunities. But so far, they can't stop him so feed him the ball.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Just my 2 cents

:)
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kirk and Kyler couldn't get a connection going on Sunday but it will come.

Kirk accounted for 38% of the team's air yards.

Hopkins - 51.14%
Kirk - 38.19%
Fitz 6.63%

So Kirk is far and away the second option on the team. He won't be 1/5 every week.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think it was @Russ Smith who said it.

Kyler doesnt trust Andy. Andy gets an easy first down if he goes to his next read.

I think this was Dan Arnold...open deep.

So in fairness to the guys its seems Kyler has to improve his vision/go to his other reads faster.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andy Isabella, this Cardinals generation's version of Kevin Kasper.

ugh, I hope not but he again didnt see action after all the hype in the offseason and Keesean is still the one who "showed the most improvement" in TC per coach.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kyler doesnt trust Andy. Andy gets an easy first down if he goes to his next read.

So in fairness to the guys its seems Kyler has to improve his vision/go to his other reads faster.

Which one is the one you're saying Arnold was open deep? If it's the one I think I don't even see him. On the play Fitz has a guy in front and behind him, so does Kirk, and D Hop is doubled. D Hop is heading to the sideline so KM makes the right read and hits D Hop on the sideline it was by far the higher percentage throw. To hit Fitz he has to go over a defender and drop it in, to get it to Kirk he has to throw across the field. In that one there's more room between the defender in front and Kirk so it's an easier throw than the one to Fitz but still of the 3 by far the safest throw is the one he took.

I can't really see Andy in the first one at the end it looks like he may have been open but by then Kyler is running so it's too hard for me to tell if he was open all along or just open after Kyler took off.

I read a couple of stories this year where Kyler was praising Andy so I do hope he starts to have some trust in him. I think people hit the nail on the head with D Hop though SF could NOT cover him so it just made sense to keep going to him.

I don't know if people watched the Denver game but Jerry Jeudy even had the announcers talking about they don't get why Drew Lock isn't just looking at Jeudy on every throw. He had one big drop that cost them a first down but everytime he went out unless they doubled him he was WIDE open. His first catch he was so excited he nearly fell down himself on the route, there were 2 others where the guy covering him DID fall down. Lock is not nearly as consistent as Kyler is they talked about it the whole game he makes tough throws and misses the easy ones but they also said when you have a guy like Jeudy who appears to be open on damn near every route, throw him the ball. That's what Kyler was doing with Hopkins IMO. It didn't look like Fitz or Kirk were open that often, when they were he went to them for the most part, but in general he figured out Hopkins is open every play and even when he's not I can throw him open he's so good.

My biggest disappointment with Andy is he's not even returning kicks or punts.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which one is the one you're saying Arnold was open deep? If it's the one I think I don't even see him. On the play Fitz has a guy in front and behind him, so does Kirk, and D Hop is doubled. D Hop is heading to the sideline so KM makes the right read and hits D Hop on the sideline it was by far the higher percentage throw. To hit Fitz he has to go over a defender and drop it in, to get it to Kirk he has to throw across the field. In that one there's more room between the defender in front and Kirk so it's an easier throw than the one to Fitz but still of the 3 by far the safest throw is the one he took.

I can't really see Andy in the first one at the end it looks like he may have been open but by then Kyler is running so it's too hard for me to tell if he was open all along or just open after Kyler took off.

I read a couple of stories this year where Kyler was praising Andy so I do hope he starts to have some trust in him. I think people hit the nail on the head with D Hop though SF could NOT cover him so it just made sense to keep going to him.

I don't know if people watched the Denver game but Jerry Jeudy even had the announcers talking about they don't get why Drew Lock isn't just looking at Jeudy on every throw. He had one big drop that cost them a first down but everytime he went out unless they doubled him he was WIDE open. His first catch he was so excited he nearly fell down himself on the route, there were 2 others where the guy covering him DID fall down. Lock is not nearly as consistent as Kyler is they talked about it the whole game he makes tough throws and misses the easy ones but they also said when you have a guy like Jeudy who appears to be open on damn near every route, throw him the ball. That's what Kyler was doing with Hopkins IMO. It didn't look like Fitz or Kirk were open that often, when they were he went to them for the most part, but in general he figured out Hopkins is open every play and even when he's not I can throw him open he's so good.

Jeudy had 7 targets and two catches, also a fumble. I wouldnt lock onto him every play just yet either.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeudy had 7 targets and two catches, also a fumble. I wouldnt lock onto him every play just yet either.

you're looking at the wrong stats he had 4 catches in 8 targets. one of them was a drop the one I mentioned,there was another drop so he actually had 2. the other 2 were bad throws. By the 2nd half the announcers were showing replays of his routes and how open he is and telling them how the coaches couldn't stop talking about how impressive Jeudy had been in practice. Their leading WR from last year, Sutton, was out with an injury so Jeudy was the de facto #1WR.If you saw the game Louis Riddick was working the game and he was just over and over talking about how open Jeudy was. At one point he said if you're not careful Jerry Jeudy will make you look silly, it's because he made a defender fall over.

The fumble was not lost it was on the last play of the first half, play started with 2 seconds left so the clock was stopped he was just trying to get extra yardage and wound up fumbling out of bounds

Note the 2nd drop was huge, if he catches it they extend the drive kick a FG and probably win the game. He dropped it they punted and Titans drove down and won the game. So it was a significant drop but even Drew Lock said after the game I'm not concerned about his hands we see him in practice every game, it was his first game stuff happens.

You would prefer no drops of course but I'll take a guy who gets open that often.

Note I'm still very glad we took Simmons, the minute we got D HOp, taking a WR first became far less important. I was mainly comparing Lock to Murray since they're both 2nd year guys, not saying we should have taken Jeudy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't find video of just the fumble but this is a video of his 4 catches, the fumble is the 2nd catch. if you didn't know he fumbled you wouldn't think he did after watching this but officially they ruled it a fumble.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Neither Isabella and Arnold were open. Arnold was on the Complete opposite side of the play and Isabella was running deep but no way to know what the coverage of the 49ers was.

They were playing 2 safeties deep the entire game so 49ers made a conscious effort to force Kyler to beat them with the underneath stuff.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you're looking at the wrong stats he had 4 catches in 8 targets. one of them was a drop the one I mentioned,there was another drop so he actually had 2. the other 2 were bad throws. By the 2nd half the announcers were showing replays of his routes and how open he is and telling them how the coaches couldn't stop talking about how impressive Jeudy had been in practice. Their leading WR from last year, Sutton, was out with an injury so Jeudy was the de facto #1WR.If you saw the game Louis Riddick was working the game and he was just over and over talking about how open Jeudy was. At one point he said if you're not careful Jerry Jeudy will make you look silly, it's because he made a defender fall over.

The fumble was not lost it was on the last play of the first half, play started with 2 seconds left so the clock was stopped he was just trying to get extra yardage and wound up fumbling out of bounds

Note the 2nd drop was huge, if he catches it they extend the drive kick a FG and probably win the game. He dropped it they punted and Titans drove down and won the game. So it was a significant drop but even Drew Lock said after the game I'm not concerned about his hands we see him in practice every game, it was his first game stuff happens.

You would prefer no drops of course but I'll take a guy who gets open that often.

Note I'm still very glad we took Simmons, the minute we got D HOp, taking a WR first became far less important. I was mainly comparing Lock to Murray since they're both 2nd year guys, not saying we should have taken Jeudy.

someone else had two. thinking of wrong guy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
someone else had two. thinking of wrong guy.

Yeah he didn't have a great game but if you watch the video the fumble was ridiculous he was literally stepping out of bounds you can't even tell if the ball hit in bounds or not, apparently it did as they ruled it a fumble. the 2 drops were big but otherwise he was very impressive. So was Lamb in the bit of the Dallas game I saw. If we had not gotten Hopkins I would have been happy with either of those 2.

Ruggs was somewhat impressive in the Raiders game he should have had a TD but Carr underthrew him, but he got banged up and in the 2nd half was a non factor. Even Jalen Reagor of the Eagles had a couple of flash plays including another should have been aTD if not underthrown bomb from Wentz. As was said before this draft was loaded at WR.

But I'm very happy we took Simmons I still feel like he's going to be a great player.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah he didn't have a great game but if you watch the video the fumble was ridiculous he was literally stepping out of bounds you can't even tell if the ball hit in bounds or not, apparently it did as they ruled it a fumble. the 2 drops were big but otherwise he was very impressive. So was Lamb in the bit of the Dallas game I saw. If we had not gotten Hopkins I would have been happy with either of those 2.

Ruggs was somewhat impressive in the Raiders game he should have had a TD but Carr underthrew him, but he got banged up and in the 2nd half was a non factor. Even Jalen Reagor of the Eagles had a couple of flash plays including another should have been aTD if not underthrown bomb from Wentz. As was said before this draft was loaded at WR.

But I'm very happy we took Simmons I still feel like he's going to be a great player.

I have Jeudy on my fantasy roster in case he becomes a beast by mid season

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Neither Isabella and Arnold were open. Arnold was on the Complete opposite side of the play and Isabella was running deep but no way to know what the coverage of the 49ers was.

They were playing 2 safeties deep the entire game so 49ers made a conscious effort to force Kyler to beat them with the underneath stuff.

The two plays of focus (both the bottom gif of each tweet)

1. -DHOP miscommunication
Isabella is open cutting across the field. He gets inside leverage. If he's patient Andy has room to run.

2. The sack

While I agree that Arnold is not on Kyler's strong side. He has a step and I think he had to be apart of the progression. Maybe if Arnold works that route back to Kyler it would be a bit easier. However, Sherman's trailing and Big Dan Arnold's jumping ability...I like my chances if he puts the football out there.

Although to be fair that might be me thinking of those crazy Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson plays..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson