Kiper/McShay Head-to-Head: 3 Round Mock ESPN

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
Mel Kiper and Todd McShay did a first round mock draft on ESPN the other day and finished the 2nd and 3rd round at ESPN.com for ESPN Insiders. Todd McShay did odd number while Mel Kiper did even numbers (Cards draft at 20, 52, and 84). Here are the pick and explanations from Mel Kiper:

20. Arizona Cardinals
Kiper's pick: Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State

Analysis: Carson Palmer turns 35 this season, and I've addressed the offensive line in free agency and will get my No. 1 pick from last year back. I like the state of the roster, so I'll draft a potential No. 1 who could use a year to learn behind Palmer.

My take: Carr is the 3rd QB taken off the board (Manziel to CLE at 4/Bortles to MIN at 8). IMO I'd have rather had Bridgewater if we are going after a QB (Bridgewater went 33 to HOU) but that's just me. Wouldn't necessarily like a QB with this pick but if Carr is BPA then I'm all for it. Seems like a reach.

Guys still on board that I'd have rather had here: UCLA OLB Anthony Barr, Ohio St. OLB/ILB Ryan Shazier, or Wash. St SS Deone Bucannon

52. Arizona Cardinals

Kiper's pick: Dee Ford, OLB, Auburn

Analysis: Adding a pass-rusher is important, and getting Ford at this slot to take some pressure off John Abraham feels like stealing. I'm actually surprised McShay didn't take Ford at either 45 or 49.

My take: LOOOOVE this pick at this spot! Shocked he lasted this long in their draft! If he's sitting on the board when the Cardinals pick at 52, I have a feeling they will run to the podium. The only thing that would have made this pick better for me is if we got a legit SS with the first round pick. Can you imagine adding Bucannon AND Dee Ford to our D? Would be something to watch, that's for sure!

Guys still on board that I'd have rather had here: None. The only guy that comes close for me is Keith McGill because I love his combination of size and speed, but McGill seems more of a gamble that a player like Dee Ford.

84. Arizona Cardinals

Kiper's pick: De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon

Analysis: Not only am I adding an explosive threat on offense -- a player defenses have to account for and a guy who can open up space for others -- but he can take over return duties and limit exposure to Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Mathieu there.

My take: Another pick that I absolutely LOVE! Thomas is a playmaker with the ball in his hands. The only thing I disagree with Kiper on is that Ted Ginn was signed (IMO) to take the return duties away from PP/TM. I'd rather have De'Anthony Thomas returning kicks than Ginn though, so Kiper's point still holds weight with me. Having a legit slot WR is a must in today's NFL and if Ginn is going to be that guy, I'd like to find someone else for Special Teams duty. A back-up RB is the perfect guy for that.

Guys still on board that I'd have rather had here: Like round 2, there isn't a player left on the board that I'd have for sure taken over De'Anthony Thomas. The only other guy I'd consider on this list would be Auburn RB Tre Mason, but not for KR duties. This to me is what puts Thomas above Mason so I'd be happy with this pick.

Final Thoughts: If the Cardinals can walk away from the first 3 rounds with a future QB, a legit pass rusher, and a dynamite playmaker on offense then congratulations to BASK and company on an outstanding first 3 rounds! The only complaint I have is passing on a starting SS for a backup QB. The other side of the coin on that is I would feel much more confident with the future of this team if we had a QB we were grooming for the future.

Well, these are my opinions. What are yours?

#6MoreDays

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this and I agree with your assessments. I don't want a rd 1 QB is this draft because none of them are franchise QB's IMHO. Give me Barr in rd 1 and then Ford and Thomas and I'm thrilled.

Can still add DB's in the remaining rds.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'd find it hard to pass on Anthony Barr in round 1. If it went this way, I wouldn't hate it but swapping positions in rounds 1 and 2 with the Cards taking Barr and Mettenberger, I think, would be better.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Prefer a position player in the first and would certainly take Marcus Smith (Louisville) over Dee Ford in the second.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard