Kingsbury's potential long term impact is greater than any other candidate

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Today's interview on 98.7 with Michael Bidwill was pretty facinating. He brought up a great point about why they would hire Kingsbury as the HC and simply not a coordinator. He kept mentioning the desire for sustained success and the importance of a great play caller to work with the QB. He said that if Kingsbury was the OC and they had success, he would be poached by another team, and he is right, based on the NFL good ole boys way of doing things. That would mean another OC for Rosen or whomever the QB is.

Kliff Kingsbury is pretty much universally thought of as a brilliant offensive mind. If the Pats snagged him as OC (if McDaniels left) the story in the national media would have been about how savvy the Pats are and what a great move it is. Instead Bidwill is going against the grain and trying to lock up that brilliant offensive mind by taking apath others wouldn't.

And what's the risk? Who else was out there? Gase? Taylor? Campbell? Is this really a risk at all?

Then there was a guy I really like, who I wanted, Jim Caldwell. But tonight I was listening to the Rise Up, See Red podcast and they brought up a positive that I hadn't thought of regarding Kingsbury that really hit me. Caldwell is what 66? How many years would we have had with him? Arians? As much as we love the guy it's not a sustainable model to hire a coach of that age.

At the end of the day, I'm very excited by this hire. Even if it doesn't work right away I hope they stick with Kingsbury. I didn't want to wait for Wilks to "grow into the job" because quite frankly I couldn't identify anything he did well and be didn't seem to grasp basics of being a head coach. But I'd Kliff is as brilliant as people say as an offensive mind, the Cardinals may have set themselves up for years of sustained success.

That's worth the "risk" IMO. Worst case scenario, they are hiring another coach in a few years, like every other team.

AIR RAID!

Last edited:

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
"No risk it no biscuit" is true in terms of swinging the fences on a young offensive innovator without NFL coaching experience. However, this saying goes back to BA wanting to take as many vertical shots as possible per game. KK's Air Raid scheme is more about stretching the defense horizontally, the QB acting like a point guard and getting the ball in his playmakers hands very quickly. It's designed to hit playmakers quickly in stride and lead them to the open spaces that are created through various spread formations and motions. KK has a good sense of when to take his shots though, as the defense starts to lurk on quick short passes.

DRM08

Veteran
Reaction score
My thought is let's say Kliff does a good job developing Rosen, but the Cards don't win enough games to keep Kliff over the long haul. He still gives you a potentially very good franchise QB for the next 15 years even if he's not the coach for most of that time period. That would be a valuable contribution to the Cards franchise.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
If you want to take a risk like this, I agree this is the year to do it. The other coaching choices out there are less-than-inspiring. Retreads and assistants with out some much as a coordinator position on their resumes? No thanks. Might as well swing for the fences and see what happens. Worst case scenario, Rosen regresses, we fire Kliff, and will simultaneously be paying two former HC's and a new HC for the duration of their contracts while this team searches for a new GM, all the while shouldering a tarnished organizational reputation. But that is the absolute worst thing that can happen and...

...what was I saying?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I brought up that point yesterday in a different thread. Mike wants what the pats and steelers have, an organizational identity based on continuity... that cannot be had with a 60+ year old HC.

we as fans need to really hope the Kingsbury/Rosen tandem works out. If it does we will be seeing years of playoff runs...

the only bright side to failure is another top three draft pick with some good looking young QB's coming out over the next three years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson