Kings vs Suns SL Game Thread 7/7/18

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Make it 21-11 on like 70% shooting.

I think the bust talk might be premature.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Classless last second shot. And they swiped at Ayton.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
71-63 victory for the Suns. 2-0. 'Good start. Ayton with 21 and 12.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton with 21 points and 12 rebounds.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The idiot guards on the team finally found Ayton at the end and he finished every time lol.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton imposed his will at the end with guys finding him quickly
Yeah, I think the pick and roll with Booker will have much better results.

Good luck fronting or doubling with Booker out there.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The idiot guards on the team finally found Ayton at the end and he finished every time lol.
Yep. They finally figured out they get free assists if you get him the ball in the low post.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When anyone tried to defend Ayton they looked small, even Bagley. Ayton should be able to post stats like this every night with the right point guards.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
It also has to do with the passes coming to late. He gets the space he needs then once the ball handler realizes it its to late. But the problem us he needs to hold his ground instead of letting his defender get around him when he doesn't get the ball right away.

Side note and OT but were going to get a lot of second chance points with Ayton.
His initial positioning is good, but then he loses his base and lets the defender inside, so if he doesn't get the pass in right away...it's bound to get stolen. When he did get the ball...he was very effective, and shows good tenacity on the boards. He's a walking double-double out of the gates, and he's just scratching the surface. When/If he gets more aggressive down low...he will easily average 22/12.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not liking what I see from Jackson so far he should really be flat out dominating summer league but instead it's wild play and his shots all over the place still

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton is not flashy but he gets the job done. Tonight was like his games at the UofA, quiet but gets a double double.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not liking what I see from Jackson so far he should really be flat out dominating summer league but instead it's wild play and his shots all over the place still
If a player is prone to sloppy play they'll probably look reeeeally sloppy in the summer league. It's why I keep saying I'm glad Chriss isn't there.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If you ignore the 1st half in both games, he looked good in both 2nd halfs. Not sure what it is though. He's in his head too much. That happened last season during the season but he seemed to calm down at the midway point. Igor needs to find out what Triano said to him that got him to come around after his DNP.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Man there is some overreacting to SL games. Ayton was solid. We can see where he needs improvement. Positioning and harder rolls to the basket are a start. Also seems winded easily. And he’s putting up good numbers with some trash guard play. SL isn’t favorable to big men. I’m just happy to see the dude out there in a Suns uni. Feels good.

BleedRed

Registered
Reaction score
Thoughts after two summer league games:

Ayton is going to be great. Guards are struggling to feed him, and defenses are collapsing on him, but I think he's 20 and 10 a night as a rookie.

Josh Jackson is not a top scoring option and struggles when he's in that role. He's a high energy defensive stopper who can run the floor and a great finisher. He's a perfect compliment to Booker and Ayton.

Bridges and Reed are killers from the outside. Teams that collapse on Ayton will get murdered by these two and Booker.

I really like Okobo and think he has potential to develop into our future pg. He's a smooth player with good handles, a nice shot from the outside and excellent court vision. He also plays very controlled which is impressive for a young player.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Called it. Bordow with the kiss of death on Okobo.
His shots weren't bad shots, they just weren't going in. I think it's tired legs cause all his shots were short.

He's not used to this level of play either.

Okobo is the least of the worries.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're worried about Ayton being fluff and floating around then I think you would have rapidly soured on Bamba.

His motor is really bad and I think he's going to get man handled by NBA bigs.

IMO Bamba is the most likely bust of any top 10 pick.

Oh he's definitely going to get pushed around at first. I also think defensively he's going to be a terror. Like I said in another post, his impact will go beyond the numbers. I worry DA is going to be empty numbers. Again, that's not what I'm saying he's absolutely going to turn into. I want this coaching staff to turn him into a monster. I just expected a little more than clueless from the #1 draft pick who's being touted as a generational player… Even if it is just the first 2 games of summer league.

Thankfully next year we can just decline his option and get capspace

God you are amazing. Do you have some sort of alert on your phone that buzzes every time anybody on the Internet says anything resembling optimism or hope regarding Bender? He's definitely disappointed overall at this point. What I get frustrated is somebody like Chris puts up 15 points on one end of the court and might as well just be off the court on the other end and people practically get horny. Then Bender is actually playing good defense and really helping the team there but only scores maybe 5 points on 40% shooting and everybody craps on him.

There is also a big difference between rebounds and contested rebounds. I don't get that excited when I'm watching rebounding like a junior high game with the guys just looking up in the air and chasing the ball around. It doesn't show up when guys like Chriss and Ayton if they aren't just doing the fundamental are giving up multiple offensive rebounds that are frankly inexcusable because they don't just put an ass on somebody. Watch Bender when the ball goes up. First thing he does is look for somebody to put a body on. These other guys stare straight up in the sky.

I'll just repeat one more time. I'm not saying I would have definitely taken any of these guys over DA #1. I'm not saying he's a bust after 2 games. Supposedly they know what they need to work on him with and believe he was still the easy pick at#1. hello how he has 17 points and 10 rebounds. Now I just sound like an a-hole. I would argue he should have had an easy 17/15 but maybe my expectations are just too high.

now that was nice from #2. I am excited about having a big man going to the basket who can actually catch and hold onto the ball (yes I'm talking to you Alex Len). Anyways, it's been fun guys

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Oh he's definitely going to get pushed around at first. I also think defensively he's going to be a terror. Like I said in another post, his impact will go beyond the numbers. I worry DA is going to be empty numbers. Again, that's not what I'm saying he's absolutely going to turn into. I want this coaching staff to turn him into a monster. I just expected a little more than clueless from the #1 draft pick who's being touted as a generational player… Even if it is just the first 2 games of summer league.

God you are amazing. Do you have some sort of alert on your phone that buzzes every time anybody on the Internet says anything resembling optimism or hope regarding Bender? He's definitely disappointed overall at this point. What I get frustrated is somebody like Chris puts up 15 points on one end of the court and might as well just be off the court on the other end and people practically get horny. Then Bender is actually playing good defense and really helping the team there but only scores maybe 5 points on 40% shooting and everybody craps on him.

There is also a big difference between rebounds and contested rebounds. I don't get that excited when I'm watching rebounding like a junior high game with the guys just looking up in the air and chasing the ball around. It doesn't show up when guys like Chriss and Ayton if they aren't just doing the fundamental are giving up multiple offensive rebounds that are frankly inexcusable because they don't just put an ass on somebody. Watch Bender when the ball goes up. First thing he does is look for somebody to put a body on. These other guys stare straight up in the sky.

I'll just repeat one more time. I'm not saying I would have definitely taken any of these guys over DA #1. I'm not saying he's a bust after 2 games. Supposedly they know what they need to work on him with and believe he was still the easy pick at#1. hello how he has 17 points and 10 rebounds. Now I just sound like an a-hole. I would argue he should have had an easy 17/15 but maybe my expectations are just too high.

now that was nice from #2. I am excited about having a big man going to the basket who can actually catch and hold onto the ball (yes I'm talking to you Alex Len). Anyways, it's been fun guys
Joe Mama, I hope you posting now means you will return to posting to the forum on a regular basis like the good ol days.

OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Man there is some overreacting to SL games. Ayton was solid. We can see where he needs improvement. Positioning and harder rolls to the basket are a start. Also seems winded easily. And he’s putting up good numbers with some trash guard play. SL isn’t favorable to big men. I’m just happy to see the dude out there in a Suns uni. Feels good.
His body looks a little soft right now. I'm guessing he isn't in tip top shape at the moment. Should be much better in this regard going into the real games.

Reactions: Rab

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Here are the numbers to back up Bender's (lack of) offense in Game #2. 0-for-5 field goal shooting in 24 minutes. 0-0 free throws from a 7-footer. With his tendency to pass rather than shoot, 0 assists.

You must be registered for see images attach