Kings vs Suns SL Game Thread 7/7/18

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Bender is just not a NBA basketball player, he isn't a rookie, he is going into his third year as a pro and he was handled by Giles, he was pressured into a travel, shot the ball flat again, made three piss poor passess. He plays passive, he is ok on the defensive end but seriously he should be dominating these rookies. He might be better off in the Euro league, because there is no way the Suns are going to pay him past six years.

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score
You cannot use wins and losses in a year when the Suns were tanking hard as a gauge of one player's contributions. We only won 21 games last season. It's not like that speaks well for anyone.

No but he should have improved somewhat and he looks horrible. Hes a mental midget. He crumbles under any sort of pressure. I think hes shot about 7 airballs in 2 SL games. I literally could shoot better than that, and at least hit rim. Hes good at D but that is all. Its sad because his stroke looks good. He can handle the ball a little also. But he cam literally only do one thing and a couple dribbles than shoot. And usually miss. Its really bad

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Also Ayton outplayed Bagley... the #2 pick.

It's a tough crowd.

Ayton is very finesse almost Hakeem like, he isn't FU nutz to the face explosive like Amare, so people might be worried, but he obviously has had crap coaching and I have no doubt he will learn, develop a killer mid range shot, and be a better force inside with real NBA coaching.

BTW, I think Bridges is going to be the star of this class, in 2-3 years he is going to be part of the core three (Booker, Ayton, Bridges) and will make Jackson trade bait for a PGOTF.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No but he should have improved somewhat and he looks horrible. Hes a mental midget. He crumbles under any sort of pressure. I think hes shot about 7 airballs in 2 SL games. I literally could shoot better than that, and at least hit rim. Hes good at D but that is all. Its sad because his stroke looks good. He can handle the ball a little also. But he cam literally only do one thing and a couple dribbles than shoot. And usually miss. Its really bad

I wasn't saying that Bender is great, simply that the teams record last season shouldn't be an indicator of what they bring to the table. He has sucked this SL but at least he's there trying. That's better than sitting in the stands as a spectator. I'll give him credit for effort and the D he's been playing but he looks like a 2nd round pick, at best.

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score
I wasn't saying that Bender is great, simply that the teams record last season shouldn't be an indicator of what they bring to the table. He has sucked this SL but at least he's there trying. That's better than sitting in the stands as a spectator. I'll give him credit for effort and the D he's been playing but he looks like a 2nd round pick, at best.

Yea my bad i know what you are saying. I agree on your point. Mostly just continuing the conversation on Bender in general. Like Treesquid said he is just not an NBA player. It sucks because defensively he would be good next to Ayton.

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score
Couldn't watch the game. Did Sacramento actually play any defense? It looks like Ayton scored absolutely at will around the hoop.

They did ok. I think the difference was our defense surprisingly. Ayton could have had 30 though easily if guys got him the ball more consistently

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yea my bad i know what you are saying. I agree on your point. Mostly just continuing the conversation on Bender in general. Like Treesquid said he is just not an NBA player. It sucks because defensively he would be good next to Ayton.

All good. I think he may be best as a change of pace Center for us next season backing up Ayton. Chandler won't be able to man the backup spot on his own and that's how Bender can see some extra time. As a defender he should be capable and much better than Chriss in that role. Unfortunately that leaves us weaker at PF but I think we'll go small most of the time with some combo of Warren, Ariza, Bridges, and Jackson playing at the 2 forward spots the most.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Here are the numbers to back up Bender's (lack of) offense in Game #2. 0-for-5 field goal shooting in 24 minutes. 0-0 free throws from a 7-footer. With his tendency to pass rather than shoot, 0 assists.

You must be registered for see images attach
I keep seeing people say that Summer League isn't set up for Bigs to dominate or that it's guard oriented and I'm really curious why that is the common sort of story. What makes it that much different than NCAA or NBA or even the G-League?

Why is it that SL play seems so guard oriented, or why do people push that narrative?

If a big can dominate in the NBA why can't they do the same in Summer League competition? Either you can play or you can't. You'd think being able to control a game is the same virtually anywhere.

From my observation it's just the faster pace and the fact that guards are trying to make a name for themselves scoring to make a team, since the most plentiful resource in the NBA is guards, you will tend to have them try to do more to show more. Harrison for example, is a shoot first always drive type of player and not concerned with distribution. In the real league those quick pace guards get picked apart by real NBA wing defenders, switching level is much higher. Also, the summer league is not played like a real NBA game, it's kind of a cobbled together offense, which leads to a lot of playground freelancing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe a late 2nd round pick. :wink2:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sad but true.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This was also Sacto's 4th game, coming off rest. I thought that the Suns played well other than JJ and Bender. Neither of which should be playing. Nothing to gain.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would assume the concussion testing will end Jackson's Summer League run. Wish he could have left on a better note but like many have said, he shouldn't really be out there anyway. I'm not worried about the testing because he returned to the game. I'm sure this is just a formality and also an excuse to pull him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would assume the concussion testing will end Jackson's Summer League run. Wish he could have left on a better note but like many have said, he shouldn't really be out there anyway. I'm not worried about the testing because he returned to the game. I'm sure this is just a formality and also an excuse to pull him.

If there was any doubt, Jackson should not have returned to the game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow the dude got elbowed in the face, went out and got stitches. Then came back in the game! A summer league game? Why? he shouldn't play any more games in SL.

The answer is in the video at the link below. Jackson says why. Maybe you can make it out.

There was too much background noise for me. It must have involved an earlier play with Bagley.

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

We agree if there was any doubt, Jackson should not have played again.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Post game interview with Jackson here. I don't think he was concussed. He doesn't sound like he's suffering from any after effects that usually coincide with a concussion.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Per an ESPN article, Ayton got the better of the Bagley match-up.

Ultimately, the No. 1 pick got the better of the first of what should be many meetings between Ayton and Bagley, both drafted to Pacific Division teams. Despite his difficulty getting the ball, Ayton finished with 21 points and 12 rebounds, a better indication of his ability than a quiet summer debut on Friday night. Bagley, who had 15 points and seven rebounds, was less efficient offensively. He'll hope to even the count in a setting with slightly more meaning than the NBA Summer League. -- Kevin Pelton

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ton-versus-sacramento-kings-marvin-bagley-nba

OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
What?! Looks soft? Cmon.
He does. Not nearly as lean as he was during the college season. It is extremely obvious. Now I'm not saying he is in terrible shape, but for him he doesn't look nearly as lean as he did just a few months ago.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He does. Not nearly as lean as he was during the college season. It is extremely obvious. Now I'm not saying he is in terrible shape, but for him he doesn't look nearly as lean as he did just a few months ago.

Yeah, he's clearly not as chiseled as he was just a few months ago. I'm not going to read anything into it just yet. But I'm watching.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also Ayton outplayed Bagley... the #2 pick.

It's a tough crowd.

Yeah he got some numbers but it was very unimpressive.

He doesn’t know how to post up, he doesn’t block out to rebound, he does not play help defense well, he can’t seem to effectively run the pick and roll.

Not to say he can’t learn all that, it’s just disappointing he needs to learn all of that.

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score
Yeah he got some numbers but it was very unimpressive.

He doesn’t know how to post up, he doesn’t block out to rebound, he does not play help defense well, he can’t seem to effectively run the pick and roll.

Not to say he can’t learn all that, it’s just disappointing he needs to learn all of that.

Yea not sure what your watching buddy. Its ridiculous the criticism Ayton is getting on here. This board is pretty bad at evaluating talent as a whole. Im sorry im gonna get a ton of heat for this but its just true. Half the time just go against what the majority of this boards opinion is and you will find the better players. Everyone loved Bender and some still do and he is straight garbage. People poo pooed the bridges trade but he will be a key piece to this team. When Ayton is ROTY and leads us to the playoffs i will serve the crow up fresh and hot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort