Kings @ Suns Wednesday 10-23-19 game thread

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Stars take over games...they make the clutch shots and have the ball in their hands when it matters. Oubre has never shown any of those traits.
Meh. It is a very subjective term and we are probably splitting hairs, but that sounds more like a "superstar" player to me. There are a lot of "star" players in the NBA that don't fit your description, such as most big men.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was over two weeks ago. How much recovery time do they need? I doubt they took commercial flights, but I don't know that.

I don't know what all they did in conjunction with that trip and what their routine has been since then but I read a couple of comments from Kings fans suggesting tired legs and burnout as a result. It sounded a little flimsy but it's not like I really think we're 30 points better than the Kings so I posed the question about it.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I wasn't able to watch the game last night. Woke up to the box score and I'm convinced this is one elaborate practical joke. Did the Suns look that good or did the Kings just look that bad?
The key was that Heild scored 25 off Booker in the first half . . . and three off him in the second.

The Suns 10-man rotation contributed. And everyone playing their natural positions.

But Devin's sudden display of defense in the 2nd half was the difference maker.

It is not surprising. No longer having to be our best scorer and facilitator.

Now he can be our superstar scorer . . . and learn how to play decent defense.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Oubre is not a star stop it
If you're being serious, did you notice that he was one rebound short of a
double-double in our first game? Just about joining our three stars.

Or that he brings excitement to the team and the fans, while producing results?

He hasn't had enough time to be called an NBA star, but Oubre is showing every
sign of being a Suns star. What Suns fan wouldn't be happy with our team with
four such players in the starting lineup? Especially with a solid bench.

We can't make up for the "lost decade" but, man, what a pleasure to be able
to look ahead to steady growth.

And, for these next few games vs. tough competition, I am looking more at
how we grow than the final scores. They've had only one game together so far.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Playoffs! playoffs!

Saric and the rest of us know he's a role player. He doesn't need to put up big numbers but he needs better percentages on scoring.

He needs to not be worse than Bender...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was excited as anyone about last nights game. But I felt similarly last year throttling Dallas in game one. It helps to have perspective. I’m not getting too high on one game.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was excited as anyone about last nights game. But I felt similarly last year throttling Dallas in game one. It helps to have perspective. I’m not getting too high on one game.

That Dallas game we shot lights out, a crazy hot night from 3 carried us. It was also the only game that Ariza gave any effort in while he was here. Last night we didn't shoot all that great, it was just a solid all around game. The difference in quality depth from this year to last is massive. We have 10+ legit NBA quality rotation players, last season at the same time we had... 4? Two of them bring Ariza and Warren.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That Dallas game we shot lights out, a crazy hot night from 3 carried us. It was also the only game that Ariza gave any effort in while he was here. Last night we didn't shoot all that great, it was just a solid all around game. The difference in quality depth from this year to last is massive. We have 10+ legit NBA quality rotation players, last season at the same time we had... 4? Two of them bring Ariza and Warren.
The shooting was unsustainable last years Dallas game. But I think similarly this kings game saw carter hit multiple shots including 3s and TJ was hitting big shots. We can’t count on those either, consistently, imo. I also don’t think we can count on putting a Daaron fox in foul trouble early. Don’t get me wrong it was Ana extremely strong game, but a single game isn’t a worthwhile data set.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
...and a disturbing trend carried over from last year and the preseason: Ayton 0-0 free throws. That’s just not gonna cut the mustard (whenever he returns from his idiotic suspension).

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Given the Ayton suspension, your word choice is a bit prophetic.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Given the Ayton suspension, your word choice is a bit prophetic.
I still can’t over that. Dumb organizational choices, okay I get we have awful leadership. Injuries, suck but they happen. This suspension crap? It’s just that, CRAP! Honestly my frustration with Ayton is mounting.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I guess I don't really understand why a guy scores 18 points on 50-60% shooting, most(?) from the paint and not the perimeter and we win by 30 points (OK, 29) and people thinks he needs to improve just because he did not shoot any free throws? :cry:

Gotta find fault.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still can’t over that. Dumb organizational choices, okay I get we have awful leadership. Injuries, suck but they happen. This suspension crap? It’s just that, CRAP! Honestly my frustration with Ayton is mounting.
I was really frustrated with his defense, and then he gets a game where he defends, not just the outside but the middle. He gets 4 blocks, and then this. I wish I knew the details here--maybe its best I dont.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't really understand why a guy scores 18 points on 50-60% shooting, most(?) from the paint and not the perimeter and we win by 30 points (OK, 29) and people thinks he needs to improve just because he did not shoot any free throws? :cry:

Gotta find fault.

Ayton had a strong game and if that's the best we can get, I'll take it. But if this is all he'll ever be, there will be games where his inability to draw fouls bites us in the butt.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was really frustrated with his defense, and then he gets a game where he defends, not just the outside but the middle. He gets 4 blocks, and then this. I wish I knew the details here--maybe its best I dont.

Did you perhaps tune out a little late last season? I ask because most of us felt that for a short while there we were seeing real improvement from him. Sure, that all disappeared in the preseason but that might have been intentional on his part (no need to push himself in meaningless games). So, while the first game this season was probably his best all around defensive game, it wasn't a gigantic leap from where he left off IMO.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Gotta find fault.
There’s more to drawing fouls than just scoring. Putting opposing players in foul trouble has a large impact. If Ayton doesn’t get other bigs in foul trouble, given the fact that other bigs tend to score inside well on him, it makes just out scoring them much more difficult.

Guess some just gotta apologize for everything (identifying and discussing shortcomings is normal for discerning fans).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Gotta find fault.
Btw, what your excuse for his suspension?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The shooting was unsustainable last years Dallas game. But I think similarly this kings game saw carter hit multiple shots including 3s and TJ was hitting big shots. We can’t count on those either, consistently, imo. I also don’t think we can count on putting a Daaron fox in foul trouble early. Don’t get me wrong it was Ana extremely strong game, but a single game isn’t a worthwhile data set.
Thing is a lot of games will involve players making more shots than their normal rate. Not every game will involve the entire team making much more shots than normal. 19/34 for 55% from 3 is a complete anomaly of a game, but effort and intensity while a couple guys have a good shooting night could be replicated consistently.

Though I agree that it is ultimately just 1 game and can't be taken too seriously without further evidence, but I do think we can expect more of what I mentioned going forward, but maybe not to the same extent.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
...and a disturbing trend carried over from last year and the preseason: Ayton 0-0 free throws. That’s just not gonna cut the mustard (whenever he returns from his idiotic suspension).
He is a finesse Center. Regardless of his size, that is his MO.

That is why it was easy for UofA to move him to Forward.

I don't know if that it was WHY they had two lead Centers
and moved him to Forward.

But that it was EASY to move him to Forward.

I'd like to see the Suns shore up the starting Center position
now and slide Ayton in at PF when he returns, which would
be the smoothest way of doing it.

He would have a lot of time to work on it in practice.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
25 games is insane.
When you get caught trying to cover something up, you will get penalized for the worst of the offenses you could have been trying to cover. It's not really insane. What is insane are the weak consequences the NBA has for other issues--like domestic abuse.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard