Kelly Oubre...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AND he plays excellent defense.

Oubre has been a huge factor in the Suns improving defense. He has helped tilt the scales towards the Suns becoming a good defensive team.

The transition has been gradual but here we are. Kokoskov has also been a large part of this as well. It's nice having players on the Suns roster who will make the effort to play defense.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Oubre has been a huge factor in the Suns improving defense. He has helped tilt the scales towards the Suns becoming a good defensive team.

The transition has been gradual but here we are. Kokoskov has also been a large part of this as well. It's nice having players on the Suns roster who will make the effort to play defense.
I know Kokoskov was getting grief earlier in the season about the lack of effort at times from the players.

Jones even had a quote where he said that it is a coaches job to teach effort and I believe that to be true to an extent.

To make that happen a coach needs someone that actually sets the tone for just what that effort looks like and it needs to be someone that is in a leadership position for the team.

Ever since Oubre has stepped into the starting role and Tyler was brought in we have had two players playing big minutes in starting roles that have been giving everyone else an example to follow on the court.

Now we did have Holmes and JJ playing hard early on, but they were coming off the bench and playing somewhat limited minutes. They were also negated by guys like Ariza being lazy and even Booker looking uninspired at times.

However, in these last 12 games with Oubre starting and Tyler being added to the team we are seeing that effort almost every game.

We have even seen it start to rub off on Booker and Ayton as their intensity and effort levels have been consistently increasing of late and that only adds more fuel to the fire that Oubre and Tyler started.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Kokoskov was getting grief earlier in the season about the lack of effort at times from the players.

Jones even had a quote where he said that it is a coaches job to teach effort and I believe that to be true to an extent.

To make that happen a coach needs someone that actually sets the tone for just what that effort looks like and it needs to be someone that is in a leadership position for the team.

Ever since Oubre has stepped into the starting role and Tyler was brought in we have had two players playing big minutes in starting roles that have been giving everyone else an example to follow on the court.

Now we did have Holmes and JJ playing hard early on, but they were coming off the bench and playing somewhat limited minutes. They were also negated by guys like Ariza being lazy and even Booker looking uninspired at times.

However, in these last 12 games with Oubre starting and Tyler being added to the team we are seeing that effort almost every game.

We have even seen it start to rub off on Booker and Ayton as their intensity and effort levels have been consistently intensifying of late and that only adds more fuel to the fire that Oubre and Tyler started.

I don't see anyone criticizing Kokoskov anymore. What a relief not having to worry about hiring a head coach.

The addition of Oubre and Johnson has allowed us to glimpse the Suns future... before the summer.

I give Jones a lot of credit for these additions. Oubre may be better than any free agent the Suns can acquire during free agency.

Now the Suns know what they have to do to turn the corner.

Totally agree with you about what Johnson and Oubre being the catalyst for the Suns defensive effort.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't see anyone criticizing Kokoskov anymore. What a relief not having to worry about hiring a head coach.

The addition of Oubre and Johnson has allowed us to glimpse the Suns future... before the summer.

I give Jones a lot of credit for these additions. Oubre may be better than any free agent the Suns can acquire during free agency.

Now the Suns know what they have to do to turn the corner.

Totally agree with you about what Johnson and Oubre being the catalyst for the Suns defensive effort.

I still think Igor Kokoskov is a very poor coach, and the Suns would be better served hiring a strong leader, disciplinarian and strategist in the offseason.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think Igor Kokoskov is a very poor coach, and the Suns would be better served hiring a strong leader, disciplinarian and strategist in the offseason.

This is Kokoskov's first season as a head coach. He is learning just like the players.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I know he’s generally been described as an elite role player at best, but are we seeing a star on the making? He seems to be pretty consistently putting up great numbers. Maybe not Shawn Marion because of the rebounding, but maybe a Joe Johnson post-Suns level. Meaning not superstar, but definitely borderline all-star quality. Maybe a prime Latrell Sprewell? Minus the ridiculousness of course.

Tayshaun Prince.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Best comparison I’ve seen yet. Oubre may be a bit of a better scorer but I think prince might’ve been a better passer.

Agreed. That is the only thing missing from Oubres game is passing; TJ has the same issue. As much as i cant stand Josh Jackson he does try and create for others, as ugly as it is.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Could the Suns consider patterning themselves after those powerful Pistons teams from about ten years ago?
Wallace, Wallace, Hamilton, Prince, and Billups didn't have a Hall of Famer but five unique and individually powerful guys who complemented each others' game very well. Tremendous defense, offensive skill and consistency if not flashy.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Could the Suns consider patterning themselves after those powerful Pistons teams from about ten years ago?
Wallace, Wallace, Hamilton, Prince, and Billups didn't have a Hall of Famer but five unique and individually powerful guys who complemented each others' game very well. Tremendous defense, offensive skill and consistency if not flashy.

Igow was an assistant coach for Larry Brown when they won the championship and his current assistant Corliss Williamson was a player. I believe he was there for three or four years. There are similarities, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's Igor's long-term goal.

There are some differences, however. Pistons rotation was made up of defenders. Billups, Hamilton, Prince, Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Williamson, Hunter, Atkins, James, Campbell. The only rotation player who was not at least a good defender was Okur. Suns two best players are not good defenders. They are not going to be as good as the Pistons on defense, but Oubre, Bridges, Jackson, Melton, Holmes, and even Bender and Johnson (not sure if they have a future in Phoenix) are all good to excellent defenders. I can see scenarios in which seven of nine rotation players are very good defenders. On the flip side, Suns can score. In a perfect world, the Suns would end up being a hybrid between run-and-gun Suns and the defense-oriented Pistons.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like we should resign Bender. The chances don't seem good for that though.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'd try everything in my power to resign Oubre and go after Randle.

Draft Morant if the pick lines up right.

Johnson/Morant
Booker
Oubre
Randle
Ayton

That's a good basketball team. 2nd team focus on shooter/defense combo players.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
We are not going to have capspace if we re-sign Oubre, which we should.

So set your sights on signing a PG like Beverley, Rubio, Brodgon, Rose, Collison, McConnel with the full MLE and a backup PG or PF with the bi-annual exception.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’ve been saying this to cheese for months. If you recall Hamilton was looking like a booker when he was in Washington. In Detroit he muted his scoring for the betterment of the team to accommodate more balanced scoring. As you said, no HOFer on that roster but incredibly deep and varied in talent. This suns team, while maybe one of the most talented defensively we’ve ever seen, isn’t going to be the equivalent of the Detroit team, but it likely has somewhat better potential for balanced offense/defense. But where it could be similar is the depth and variety of talent.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We are not going to have capspace if we re-sign Oubre, which we should.

So set your sights on signing a PG like Beverley, Rubio, Brodgon, Rose, Collison, McConnel with the full MLE and a backup PG or PF with the bi-annual exception.
No way the MLE. will get Brogdon. Milwaukee sees him as valuable as Bledsoe.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
no the Suns should sign a PF that actually contributes to winning not just a PF that plays by default because there is no other option.
Bender has been the starter for the last 9 games. Suns have gone 5-4 in those games. Just sayin.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Bender has been the starter for the last 9 games. Suns have gone 5-4 in those games. Just sayin.
What I noticed is when Ayton runs out to the three, or switches outside to a guard, Bender slides under the basket. The defense is better with Bender on the court I think. The offense suffers. So you can imagine if we had some real power forwards to play this way how our defense will really improve.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I am one of the bigger Bender fans around here, but it's worth asking if it's Bender himself that's making the difference or if it's just having another seven-footer out there. Same applies to Johnson- is it him, or is it just the fact that there is a competent player playing PG. I am not arguing one way or the other, but it is something that I've thought about.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am one of the bigger Bender fans around here, but it's worth asking if it's Bender himself that's making the difference or if it's just having another seven-footer out there. Same applies to Johnson- is it him, or is it just the fact that there is a competent player playing PG. I am not arguing one way or the other, but it is something that I've thought about.

I was just thinking that though I'm biased towards re-signing Bender because he's a draft pick and I like the narrative of him turning it around, if he's too expensive in the offseason, I don't think he'll be too difficult to replace at that same money, and possibly less depending on the contract.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I have thought the same thing. When you have a roaming Center in Ayton, it really helps to have another 7 footer slide over to the rim. That said, and I like Bender, but he is not a shot blocker. Imagine if that guy sliding over was a shot blocker and rebounder. I would keep Bender if we can resign him cheap, which should be doable.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I mean Bender has a negative +/- in those 9 games and thus I am not so certain that those wins have that much to do with Bender. Tyler and Oubre each have a positive +/- in that same span and thus it is probably easier to point to those two additions to the starting lineup as the main catalyst.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard