Kelly Oubre...

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by 82CardsGrad, Mar 5, 2019.

1. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

I tend to agree. One thing about Kelly is that he does everything well enough. He is not a great defender, but he is a good defender. He is not a great shooter, but he shoots well enough. He is pretty good getting to the hoop and scoring in the paint. He can even create his own shot. The only issue is that he is not particularly good passer/ play-maker. If he can get just a little bit better at a couple of these things, he could be a really scary player.

Mainstreet likes this.
  2. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

I suppose. I think Mikal has as much or more potential than Kelly and that is the point of the trade. I am one of the few who will miss Rubio more than Oubre.

I kinda wish there was a way to keep Rubio while trading for Paul, but I guess that was not possible. A CP3, Booker, Paul three guard rotation with Rubio coming off the bench would have been ideal. Both Book and Paul can play off ball when Rubio is in, and then there would have been the depth to weather potential injuries.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  3. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I would have kept Rubio and Oubre and added to the core players.

If the Suns were intent on not paying Oubre no matter what, I would have traded him for a first round pick not taking salary back unless it was a player I wanted. Then used the extra money to further improve the team.

I would have preferred to keep Rubio unless trading for Chris Paul is what it took to keep Devin Booker happy.

AzStevenCal likes this.
  4. JCSunsfan

I think I agree with all of this. There was talk that the Warriors were interested in Oubre and the #10 pick for the #2 pick. The #2 pick in this draft is not what it would have been in other drafts, so I am not sure how good of a deal that would have been. Oubre and Smith for Wiseman is not that appealing to me. The slam dunk would have been to add CP3 without giving Rubio, but I think the salaries had to work.

You guys should give Gambo a little bit of credit. He said consistently before the draft that the Suns were NOT interested in Haliburton. Turns out he was dead right on that.

5. Mainstreet

I didn't see the opportunity to trade down from #2 so the idea of trading Oubre for the pick was not that attractive. If the Suns could have traded down with the pick it would have been more appealing. Trading Oubre for #2 would have been mostly a salary dump because I liked the 10th pick.

Maybe a third team could have been added to make the trade more attractive for everyone.

6. 95pro

95pro Registered

I'm happy the way it turned out.

I do think CP3 did have some 'draw' to the suns; Crowder most notably. Yes we did offer a longer contract than Miami, but he could have gone elsewhere. Then not to mention the guys we got from NO and Detroit. They played a decent amount of minutes on their respective teams and could be legit contributors to the team.

i'm not sure what percentage of it, is James Jones or having CP3 here.

7. Ronin

Ronin Pray for Mojo

https://sports.yahoo.com/marquese-chriss-joins-warrior-kelly-162027861.html

8. JCSunsfan

9. RagMMA

RagMMA Free Agent

Oubre already in trade rumors from VS. Lmao

10. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Not seeing that in the Bay area what are the rumors?

Everything I hear is they love him. Like I said before he's one of those guys when he's on the other team you hate him, when he's on your team you love him. I'd expect Wiggins to be traded before Oubre.

Mainstreet likes this.
  11. Finito

Finito Registered

i could see both of them gone. GS whole system is based off movement and finding the open guy. Both Oubre and Wiggins are ball stoppers on offense

Pda4976 likes this.
  12. leclerc

leclerc The smooth operator

I didn't get the news Oubre was traded to Golden State. I thought it was another team that got him and Rubio? Too busy to keep tabs on sports these days. Buffalo Bills are doing really well and all I've seen are highlights. If I watch a playoff game they'll probably lose, but I tell myself I cannot possibly affect the outcome of the game just by watching a recording several days later o_O

13. Mainstreet

Suns traded Kelly Oubre Jr., Ricky Rubio, Ty Jerome, Jalen Lecque and a future first-round pick to OKC for Chris Paul and Abdel Nader.

Later OKC traded Rubio to the Timberwolves and Oubre to the Warriors.

14. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

The awful version of Oubre showed up for opening night. Taking putrid shots that barely graze the rim and doing his defensive routine where he gambles for steals while his man cuts back door for easy layups.

Russ Smith likes this.
  15. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

He went 3-14 in the opener. Golden State is in for a LONG season.