Kelly Oubre...

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with what Oubre said. He was asked about coming off the bench when Klay returns the team and he said
I can offer a lot more than coming off the bench,” which is the sort of outlook you should want from a young player, IMO. That's also how Bob Myers, their GM, views Kelly's comment. He spoke up and supported Oubre.

Larrybrownsports.com/basketball/warriors-gm-bob-myers-defends-kelly-oubre-comments-starting/576117

I can see the other side but this seems to be getting spun into more than it is. I found it odd how Kelly's comment wasn't included for proper context and how the writer mentioned this was said right after the trade deadline, like his comments indicated he wanted or should be dealt.

Of course expressing that sentiment could be disruptive and toxic if said a certain way but I don't see how he said it as an issue. Klay also isnt returning next week or even next month, he wont be back until next season. Kelly is a free agent this offseason so the question of backing Klay up seems odd at this point unless they're specifically talking about next season and if Kelly plans on resigning with the Warriors. I think this is just drama that wouldn't be a story if the Warriors weren't a recent Dynasty. It also gives their fans something to talk about other than being blown out by 55 or whatever it was to Toronto a few days ago.
He could also offer a lot coming off the bench. It’s about understanding and accepting your role on a team. If he said that he just wanted help the team the best way possible it would have been a selfless statement, but what he said had a clear selfish undertone IMO.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He could also offer a lot coming off the bench. It’s about understanding and accepting your role on a team. If he said that he just wanted help the team the best way possible it would have been a selfless statement, but what he said had a clear selfish undertone IMO.

But he's not even contracted for when Klay will return. He's headed into free agency this offseason and is a starter right now. Openly accepting a bench role right now could hurt his negotiations this summer. Its not like he's playing on a contender right now. The Warriors are a likely lottery team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kelly Oubre injured. He will be evaluated to see if he can continue playing.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose