Kansas City Chiefs @ Arizona Cardinals Pregame Thread. 9/2/22-9/10/22

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who?

And if he misses one or two games while still learning the system and is a stong contributor for 15 or 16 games, no one will care he was eased in then.
Not my job to know who and wasn’t available. Also if Mullen was the only one available (which he wasn’t… there was another good corner traded last week who’s name escapes me right now) it was atrocious foresight to put together such a weak CB room that was desperate for help at such a late date.

Or they could have resigned Alford who already knew the defense. Or they could have adddressed the glaring area of weakness at any point in FA instead of waiting until the week before the season.

That trade for an injured player at a position of desperate need didn’t happen in a vacuum. It came after ignoring the bright red warning lights there for months.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a weird take. If you ignore his most recent season in which he was injured so badly the team moved on from him, and only consider his previous two seasons, he's been extremely healthy.
Not really, but ok. Thanks for the insult though.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Not my job to know who and wasn’t available. Also if Mullen was the only one available (which he wasn’t… there was another good corner traded last week who’s name escapes me right now) it was atrocious foresight to put together such a weak CB room that was desperate for help at such a late date.
Yep, we're at the "throw crap against the wall and hope it sticks" stage of the offseason.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Such a weird Cardinals season already and they haven't even taken the field yet.

If you had told me that Max Williams would be the only healthy player to start the season I would have laughed at your face. Low and behold Max Williams is one of the few healthy players to start the season.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Or they could have resigned Alford who already knew the defense.

That trade for an injured player at a position of desperate need didn’t happen in a vacuum.
You said said someone else, but you can't name anyone.

And Gambo said we have an open offer to Alford and he's not interested. We also lost a player to death. Seems like Kiem has been proactive after Gladney died.

None of us have any idea who else Kiem has tried to obtain.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

And Gambo said we have an open offer to Alford and he's not interested. We also lost a player to death. Seems like Kiem has been proactive after Gladney died.

Of course, which is why he is judged on his RESULTS.

Haggling with Alford over "take a non-guaranteed min deal or else" seems like kind of silly decision, esp since we're flush with cap room. (Gotta keep the powder dry!)

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course, which is why he is judged on his RESULTS.

Haggling with Alford over "take a non-guaranteed min deal or else" seems like kind of silly decision, esp since we're flush with cap room. (Gotta keep the powder dry!)
Proof they are/were haggling?

And I'm not saying Keim couldn't hand done a better job earlier in the off season pre-draft. I wasn't happy that Gladney was the CB we signed, but after Gladney died, it feels like Keim did the best with what he could.

Also, I'm not defending the CB group as a whole, this is all about Mullen most likely missing this week. I like Mullen and think he's going to help many this CB average, which is all we can ask for at this point.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I like Mullen and think he's going to help many this CB average, which is all we can ask for at this point.
Average would be a big improvement on expectations at this point.

I'm just as worried about our front 7 as I am about our corners, esp if JJ is dinged up.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said said someone else, but you can't na

Proactive since Gladney died? THAT WAS THREE MONTHS ago.

And here was the corner I was talking about who was BETTER and more healthy than Mullens traded a week ago;

And you’re right… we have no idea who Keim tried to obtain. What we DO know is he FAILED to do so except for an already injured Mullens despite the position being a glaring need since Gladney died three months ago.

Which is nothing to say of the fact that Gladney, God rest his soul, had been a total bust as well.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Proactive since Gladney died? THAT WAS THREE MONTHS ago.

And here was the corner I was talking about who was BETTER and more healthy than Mullens traded a week ago;

And you’re right… we have no idea who Keim tried to obtain. What we DO know is he FAILED to do so except for an already injured Mullens despite the position being a glaring need since Gladney died three months ago.

Which is nothing to say of the fact that Gladney, God rest his soul, had been a total bust as well.

He's a safety, not CB in the NFL.

You must be registered for see images attach

And I already said I wasn't happy Gladney was the signing.

And Mullen isn't already hurt. He's coming back from last years injury that was a soft tissue injury. And the fact that there is a slight chance see can play means he really close.

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I'd still kick the tires on Chris Harris to ses if he's got anything left.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the fact that there is a slight chance see can play means he really close.

I would say that is some really wishful thinking considering he’s not even practicing in a limited capacity he’s not even out on the field. Not seen riding a bike on the side. Nothing.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say that is some really wishful thinking considering he’s not even practicing in a limited capacity he’s not even out on the field. Not seen riding a bike on the side. Nothing.
I doubt he does play this week, but KK didn't completely close the door in on it. Hopefully he getting treatment and watching film to get the system down and is full go week 2. The point is, it's not like he was hiding an injury or got injured in the last week.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Or they could have resigned Alford who already knew the defense. Or they could have adddressed the glaring area of weakness at any point in FA instead of waiting until the week before the season.

That trade for an injured player at a position of desperate need didn’t happen in a vacuum. It came after ignoring the bright red warning lights there for months.

The other good corner traded was a slot being converted to safety. Not much use to us.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Where are you finding defensive projections?
Everywhere? The blurb below pretty much says it all.

Kliff Kingsbury should’ve sent defensive coordinator Vance Joseph a thank-you note when Kingsbury got his contract extension this offseason. The Cardinals defense has kept the team afloat at times throughout the last two years and has outperformed the offense, finishing seventh and 10th in defensive DVOA.

But 2022 could be ugly. The Cardinals lost two key cogs—edge defender Chandler Jones and linebacker Jordan Hicks—in free agency. GM Steve Keim used first-round picks on linebackers Isaiah Simmons and Zaven Collins in back-to-back years, but neither has looked like an impact player so far. Up front, the Cardinals are counting on J.J. Watt to stay healthy (he missed 10 games last year and is 33) and play well. Arizona’s cornerback situation can best be described as shaky. They finished second behind only the Cowboys in turnover EPA. If they don’t produce those takeaways at such a high rate, they might not be nearly as good.

This defense lacks talent. If Joseph can coach this group to a top-10 ranking again, he should be in the conversation as one of the NFL’s brightest defensive minds. A more likely scenario is that the Cardinals defense takes a big step back in 2022.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard