Julius Randle

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'd like to see the Suns go after him. The speculation of this article is that the Lakers will probably let him walk, because they have other young talent they are more committed to and want to be big free-agency players this summer.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/11/julius-randles-future-unlikely-to-involve-lakers.html

His minutes have been scaled back this year, but he has been quite productive in them. He'll never be a Duncan or Malone, but he's a better PF prospect than anyone currently on the Suns' roster.

I'd offer Bender (who might, if he develops, give the Lakers some spacing) and the Suns' 2019 pick with some moderate protection, top-9 or so.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'd like to see the Suns go after him. The speculation of this article is that the Lakers will probably let him walk, because they have other young talent they are more committed to and want to be big free-agency players this summer.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/11/julius-randles-future-unlikely-to-involve-lakers.html

His minutes have been scaled back this year, but he has been quite productive in them. He'll never be a Duncan or Malone, but he's a better PF prospect than anyone currently on the Suns' roster.

I'd offer Bender (who might, if he develops, give the Lakers some spacing) and the Suns' 2019 pick with some moderate protection, top-9 or so.
I like randle but that’s giving up too much for an undersized pf. Trading randle for bender is essentially trading potential for potential so no picks thrown in unless it’s from their side because we are helping to facilitate them creating cap space.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hmm his #s projected over 36 minutes would be around 18.5pts and 10rebs (each slightly adjusted down for decrease due to extended minutes from 20.7 and 11.3)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you've seen them play recently, since Nance got hurt, Randle has been intriguing. They've started to play a sort of "death" lineup that has him, either Ingram or Kuzma, and then Ball, Clarkson and Caldwell-Pope together.

Randle is no Draymond defensively, he's getting scored on inside, but he's a tough matchup at the other end he can go by 5's, he can pass from the high post, and he's a pretty good rebounder.

2 of the recent games I watched parts of were as good as I've ever seen Randle look in the NBA, in that lineup.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While we are at it, let's get Zubac in the deal. He hasn't played this season.

I like him as a center prospect.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm not sure that I would trade either of Bender and Suns' 2019 pick for Randle but trading both would earn the Knight-trade award.

That's pretty harsh. Do you honestly think that Bender's value on his own is comparable to Randle's?

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Hmm his #s projected over 36 minutes would be around 18.5pts and 10rebs (each slightly adjusted down for decrease due to extended minutes from 20.7 and 11.3)

Last season he averaged 11 and 10 in 28 minutes -- he has already proven he can be a double-digit rebounder. And he played 81 out of 82 games, by the way. That's a lot more "potential" than Bender has shown.

Randle is an NBA player; the only question is how good he'll get. It would be strange that the Lakers appear to have lost interest in him, except that this is the same front office that just gave away D'Angelo Russell so that they could hand the franchise to Lonzo Ball, so that tells you something.

If he goes on the market, the price will be higher than Bender minus a pick, you can count on that. And the Suns aren't helping the Lakers to facilitate space, because they can just renounce him if they don't find a deal they like.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Of course, right on cue, Randle puts up his worst half of the season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I would not offer Bender. I think he will be better than Randle. But Randle is interesting.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Okay, well if you value Bender over Randle, then pursuing Randle makes no sense.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd give up Chriss and some 2nd round picks for Randle but not Bender. Bender has higher potential than Chriss or Randle and has finally started showing he can be a NBA player. I think some people are still sour on his play from last season but he's looked quite a bit different this year. As you said, the Lakers would be looking to clear some cap space and Chriss is paid less than Bender also which would give them more room. I don't see the point in holding onto Chriss if we brought in Randle because it's unlikely they'd play well together but there is a good chance that Randle and Bender could play together.

Trading our own first round pick though would be foolish, protection or not. We're not sure when this team will turn the corner and start winning and unless we're getting a proven player in return we shouldn't part with it for a player that is more potential than player.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Julius Randle is what he is he has a very low ceiling. Rather go get Okafor

But no not even thinking about a Bender for Randle trade that's insane

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Okay, well if you value Bender over Randle, then pursuing Randle makes no sense.
It could. If you could get Randle for stuff not including Bender, then you are hedging your bets. Yes, Bender above Randle, but maybe Randle surprises . . . .

Randle is more of a high floor low ceiling prospect. Both Bender and Chriss are low floor high ceiling prospects. It might be good to have Bender and Randle instead of Bender and Chriss.

Errntknght

Reaction score
It could. If you could get Randle for stuff not including Bender, then you are hedging your bets. Yes, Bender above Randle, but maybe Randle surprises . . . .

Randle is more of a high floor low ceiling prospect. Both Bender and Chriss are low floor high ceiling prospects. It might be good to have Bender and Randle instead of Bender and Chriss.

I'd buy that... Zubac is another possibility... don't know why but he's getting virtually no PT so far.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Randle had 24/7/5 tonight. Do we still think Bender has better potential?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Bender just turned 20 last week and has played well so far this season, definitely improved upon his play last season and has shown improvement from the Summer League and the start of the season. He's got a ton of potential. Meanwhile Randle turns 23 next week and hasn't shown that much improvement since his rookie year. He's till young and has potential also but what would it cost to pry him away from the Lakers? I would trade Chriss and 2nd rounders in a heartbeat but I doubt that does it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One game will not change my view. Randle is older. Bender still has a teenagers body—a big teenager. The jury will be out on Bender for a while.

Tonight against Chicago Benders shot when flat. Literally, no arch. Done know if it is fatigue or just old habits, but when this happens he shoots cery poorly.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He is such an odd player a big strong kid but he's undersized and really struggles to finish against size. Considering how highly rated he was in HS and college and all the bigs he played against, it's surprising he got this far without being able to finish against size.

I've watched them play often this year to watch Lonzo, and it's amazing how often Randle gets the ball within 3 feet and either walks or takes a terrible shot because he gets intimidated. He also must be close to the leader in percent of shots that get blocked.

He is talented but his whole game before the NBA was inside, either post ups or off the dribble NBA size negates much of that

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Randle is like Len just because he has a great game out of every 15 doesn't mean he's the future.

Bender is a kid still while Randle went to Kentucky and has been in the league a minute. The Lakers know what he is and there is a reason they don't consider him part of the future.

There isn't a GM in the league right now that would take Randle over Bender today

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Randle is like Len just because he has a great game out of every 15 doesn't mean he's the future.

Bender is a kid still while Randle went to Kentucky and has been in the league a minute. The Lakers know what he is and there is a reason they don't consider him part of the future.

There isn't a GM in the league right now that would take Randle over Bender today

Eh, I don't know about that. Randle has higher floor but lower ceiling. I am certain there are quite a few teams that would be happy with Randle over Bender. I like Bender's potential, and the Suns need to take risks, so I prefer Bender, but if I was a GM for a winning team, I would certainly take Randle over Bender, assuming all other things are equal.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bender was odd last night. His shot had been looking pretty, then last night he began shooting flat again. No arc.

He can’t make them when he does that. Eddie Johnson even pointed it out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson