Adding a legit PF this offseason

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless the Suns get the #1 pick to take Zion they will need to add a PF somehow. Even if they do get Zion they'll need to shop for a backup PF for him, similar to how they searched for a backup for Ayton last year and found Holmes. I figured I'd get a thread going where we can discuss the options at PF provided we don't draft Zion, which is likely to be what happens anyways. The PG thread I started similar to this has stayed on topic for the most part also so I hope this can do the same.

We don't have a ton of cap space to spend but we should be able to clear a bit more than the Mid-Level Exception if we needed to without making drastic changes to our core. After resigning Oubre we'll need to get a PG and PF and ideally we'll add one in the draft so I guess for the sake of this discussion lets assume we draft a PG so we can set our sights on PF with our cap space, who do you want to see targeted?

Some names that have been mentioned frequently are Nikola Mirotic, Julius Randle, Tobias Harris, Thaddeus Young, and many more. The field for PF's seems to be pretty deep, which should work in our favor. Who do you think the Suns should target? Give your top pick and a backup pick, or add in a value addition that may be had for cheap that could serve as a backup PF.

https://hoopshype.com/2019/02/08/nba-free-agency-2019-power-forwards/

Last edited:

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Chriss was the player they needed to pull his head out of his ..... Maybe the front office should have pulled their head out.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Mirotic, Harris and Randle will be out of the Suns' cap room-range.

Young might be also, but even for the MLE I would prefer Taj Gibson over him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Players like Faried, or Al-Farouq Aminu might be options.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chriss was the player they needed to pull his head out of his ..... Maybe the front office should have pulled their head out.

Not sure what you're implying here. Of course everyone wants the front office to get on the right track but if you're trying to make a case for keeping and developing Chriss then you might be pleased to know he's a free agent. Do you really think he can be salvaged? He played his way out of Houston and did nothing in Cleveland. He had his chance, it wasn't just the Suns that had trouble getting him to play motivated and productive basketball.

He ended up in the best possible place for his skillset possible with D'Antoni as his coach and Chris Paul and Harden feeding him but he couldn't make it work in Houston and asked for a trade. That says all I ever needed to know about him as a player.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Players like Faried, or Al-Farouq Aminu might be options.

I was looking at players that may be available and Derrick Favors is on a non-guaranteed contract this coming season for $16.8 million. So Utah can cut him loose and free up some cash and Favors may be in need of a new home. I was curious what you, and others, would think of a frontcourt pairing of Favors and Ayton? They would be big, for sure, and Favors could play the role of rim protecter so Ayton could play defense against opposing PF's like Lebron or Giannis types. I know that may clog things inside on offense but opening up Ayton's outside shooting game is something that Igor was supposed to do but apparently didn't. Those 2 can be staggered some also so there is always a big who can get the ball inside is on the floor.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Favors wouldn't be a bad plan B option since he probably wouldn't demand too much money , they can free up alot of space with a few trades, actually close to max depending on who they want on the team, so we won't know much until at least the Lottery but if they want one of the bigger named PF they can get one

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Assuming we get Zion, and use most of the cash on a PG, why not bring back a cheap Bender at abck up PF just for a year until we can afford another one?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Assuming we get Zion, and use most of the cash on a PG, why not bring back a cheap Bender at abck up PF just for a year until we can afford another one?

Think about it, when we have to sub out Zion for Bender, how do you think that will affect game play? Going from one extreme to the other; Zion both mentally and physically is at the opposite end of the spectrum of Bender.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If the Suns get Zion and a starter at point guard, I'm not going to worry a lot about backups. :wink2:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If the Suns get Zion and a starter at point guard, I'm not going to worry a lot about backups. :wink2:
Me Neither. Even if their styles of play are different. I just want a guy who can play some defense. Maybe hit a three or two. Then Zion get back in there and rip the backboard down!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me Neither. Even if their styles of play are different. I just want a guy who can play some defense. Maybe hit a three or two. Then Zion get back in there and rip the backboard down!

A common view about bench players is to keep the score even or close while the starters rest. I could be content with this if the Suns have an excellent starting lineup.

I do think the Suns have the makings for a good bench.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think the PF pool is very weak.

Julius Randle is the most talented free agent PF but maybe not a good fit.

Favors wouldn't be a bad plan B option since he probably wouldn't demand too much money , they can free up alot of space with a few trades, actually close to max depending on who they want on the team, so we won't know much until at least the Lottery but if they want one of the bigger named PF they can get one

Favors is more of a center than PF I am afraid.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep the Suns starters are a good bench. Ha

I understand your reaction but if every thing goes right and the Suns re-sign Oubre, the Suns should already have three starters in Booker, Oubre and Ayton.

That leaves room for two more starters. A couple of the players that started for the Suns will be either gone or moved to the bench. I'm speaking of Dragan Bender and Tyler Johnson.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Games can be lost in those 12 minutes. Unless you are advocating 7.5 man rotations all season long. And a tired team come the last month of the season.:thud:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Games can be lost in those 12 minutes. Unless you are advocating 7.5 man rotations all season long. And a tired team come the last month of the season.:thud:

It wasn't meant to be taken literally hence the smilie.

However, if the Suns added Zion and a starting point guard (along with Booker Oubre and Ayton), they would be pretty good with the addition of role players.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It wasn't meant to be taken literally hence the smilie.

However, if the Suns added Zion and a starting point guard (along with Booker Oubre and Ayton), they would be pretty good with the addition of role players.

Even better than pretty good, with a good Coach planning the X's &
O's and communicating with his players.

Even without Zion and with a role playing Power Forward along with
a Point Guard, we should be ready to climb in the standings.

I believe that with good players, at their natural positions, the most
pressing question might be whether Ayton receives proper coaching
and rounds out his game at Center in his second season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Hoop Head

I thought about you mentioning Thaddeus Young when I read this tweet. Some others may have mentioned him as well.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
young was available to us several times wasn’t he? He’s been a free agent his last couple of contracts? I wonder why he wasn’t ever on our radar. Maybe I’m mistaken for another player.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
@Hoop Head

I thought about you mentioning Thaddeus Young when I read this tweet. Some others may have mentioned him as well.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I mean that is just a typical sidery tweet.

Before the Summer is over the over and under on Sidery tweeting that the Suns need to get player X is probably +30 or something because he does this and that without actually saying why that it is or backing it up.

Thaddeus Young is an ok defender, 6'8, 31 years old and averages less than half a block in 30 mpg.
So not sure how Thaddeus Young would "take so much pressure off of Ayton defensively".

Julius Randle seems like the much better option if they are willing to pair Ayton with a Power Forward that is not blocking shots.

Last edited:

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Before the Summer is over the over and under on Sidery tweeting that the Suns need to get player X is probably +30 or something because he does this and that without actually saying why that it is or backing it up.

Thaddeus Young is an ok defender, 6'8, 31 years old and averages less than half a block in 30 mpg.
So not sure how Thaddeus Young would "take so much pressure off of Ayton defensively".

Julius Randle seems like the much better option if they are willing to pair Ayton with a Power Forward that is not blocking shots.

Young is a better defender, shoots a bit better from the perimeter, is less ball dominant, and would be cheaper; although I like Randle.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Young is a better defender, shoots a bit better from the perimeter, is less ball dominant, and would be cheaper; although I like Randle.

defense is very hard to quantify

FG%
Young .527
Randle .524

3pt%
Young .349
Randle .344

3ptA
Young 1.8
Randle 2.7

FT%
Young .644
Randle .731

TS%
Young .569
Randle .600

I would argue that Randle is the better shooter. Takes considerably more 3s at the basically same percentage, shoots much better from the line and is a much more efficient overall scorer.

Thaddeus Young gives me Ariza 2.0 vibes. He was terrible in the playoffs too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sidery often tweets ideas that are food for thought. When things slow down, it's a welcome read.

I'm not looking for him to break stories although he has linked breaking stories that I would have otherwise not known about for a while.

I prefer Julius Randle but the Suns may have to look for someone that is more affordable. Young is a definite upgrade.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I like Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Stanley Johnson and Trey Lyles as under the radar options.

I still believe Stanley Johnson can find a role for himself in the NBA.
I love what RHJ brings although he had injuries and a bad year this year.
Lyles showed promise last year and was terrible this year.

Not to mention Lyles and Stanley Johnson are probably not going to get much more than the minimum.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson