Julianna Margulies Defends Playing an LGBTQ Character on The Morning Show : 'I Am an Actress'

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Julianna Margulies Defends Playing an LGBTQ Character on The Morning Show : 'I Am an Actress'​

Julianna Margulies is defending her decision to portray an LGBTQ character in The Morning Show.

During an appearance on CBS Mornings Monday, the three-time Emmy Award winner, 55, discussed her character — who shares an onscreen romance with Reese Witherspoon — and chimed in on the argument that cisgender, heterosexual actors should not play roles on the LGBTQ spectrum.

"I can understand that. My response also would be: We're all making assumptions as to who I am and what my past is, and what all of our pasts are," she said. "I understand 100 percent that I can't play a different race, but I am an actress, and I am supposed to embody another character. Whatever their sexuality is doesn't matter to me, the same way watching a gay person play a straight person.

"Are you telling me, because I'm a mother, I can never play a woman who's never had a child? Or, if you've never been married, that you can't play a married woman? I mean, you have to be careful where you're drawing the line there. We're actors, we're supposed to embody a character regardless of their sexuality. When it comes to race and gender, that's a whole different story, and I 100 percent agree with that. So, that's my stance on it," the actress added.

Margulies joined the cast of The Morning Show during season 2, playing Laura Peterson, a seasoned news anchor who was once fired after her sexuality became public. Her character returns to UBA, where she quickly sparks a romance with The Morning Show co-anchor Bradley Jackson (Witherspoon).

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So by that token, a gay actor could never play a straight actor?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So by that token, a gay actor could never play a straight actor?
Didn't she address that specifically? :shrug:

"Whatever their sexuality is doesn't matter to me, the same way watching a gay person play a straight person."

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't she address that specifically? :shrug:

"Whatever their sexuality is doesn't matter to me, the same way watching a gay person play a straight person."

Yes, I am speaking to the people criticizing her, and applying that logic to gay actors - would really limit their roles...

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am speaking to the people criticizing her, and applying that logic to gay actors - would really limit their roles...
Yeah, the entire "You have to BE THIS in order to portray THIS" kind of crowd makes no sense to me. Don't fix what isn't broken.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I'm definitely open to listening to the community, but I think her points are pretty accurate.

Age, etc can also be lumped in there

Is there any validity to a view that prominent straight actors, especially "manly" ones that are willing to play a gay character can help break down some of that stigma as well?

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, the entire "You have to BE THIS in order to portray THIS" kind of crowd makes no sense to me. Don't fix what isn't broken.
When people don't know how to process their own feelings and insecurities/fear, this is what you get. Straight, gay, trans... We are all subject to this behavior if we can't handle our own issues. IMO of course.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
When people don't know how to process their own feelings and insecurities/fear, this is what you get. Straight, gay, trans... We are all subject to this behavior if we can't handle our own issues. IMO of course.
Well, the outcry isn't about not being able to handle their own issues, in regards to the LGBTQ community. Rather, it's that community fighting against external stressors--hate, stigma, being marginalized, etc. Especially being marginalized. Their point, which I understand, is usually that they aren't well represented so they should be playing "their own" roles.

That said, I'm not casting stones at JM. She's just working and not, IMO, being insensitive taking the role. She's not a John Wayne playing Gengis Khan, for instance.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard