Am I the only one optimistic thru PS Game 2?

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I know it's only preseason, and game 2 at that, but... based on a lot of the comments you would think this team is just in shambles, but from what I am seeing I am very optimistic strictly based on the limited preseason sample size. That isn't saying much, I admit, but is all we have to go on so far - especially when I contrast it against preseasons of past.

I can totally tell the this is not the BA Cardinals from the offensive side. Just from the play calling, like no biscuits balls on 3rd and short... from execution and concentration being better, like receivers not named Fitz actually getting some separation AND holding onto the ball... to guys playing physical. I like what I've seen so far.

In past two preseasons we looked flat out terrible and unprepared for the most part and didn't matter what group was on the field. Even in '14 and '15 we didn't look super impressive either, but we had runs those years so it was always "it's just preseason, it doesn't mean anything." The problem is that our last two preseason's that crap followed up right into the regular season without missing a beat, so I would argue when you look that bad all preseason it is an indicator that what's coming in the regular season won't be pretty.

I already see a coaching staff that is not messing around and worrying if their job is fun or not. I also see a staff that isn't playing politics and letting best players win their jobs. Just look at the 2017 roster and look how much fat they trimmed off and apparently upgraded. I think it's safe to say comparing up to this point in the previous season we have more talent on the field and the players look better prepared. I don't know if SK was handcuffed by BA and is now unleashed, or if Wilks and crew are doing the scouting... but either way I like the results so far.

I'm actually optimistic about the D right now also, but I feel like we could be in for a treat with our offense if Rosen turns out to be the real deal. Even if not, if Bradford can stay on the field it should be good enough because on paper he is nearly identical to Palmer over last 3 seasons (QBR, TD/INT, YPC, etc). Johnson looks great, we've got some receivers who are making plays and catching contested balls and difficult catches. ST looks reasonable, which is a great sign, and we may even have a solid kicker who can supplant Dawson if he starts with the yips again this year.

Yes, it's only 2 preseason games, but personally I am much more confident in this team than I was at this point in the season over the last 2 years. It might not be a be indicator of the regular season, but it's way better than the alternative.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm optimistic but know we've played two games and didn't face either Rivers or Brees, so I have no idea how good (or bad) our defense is. In the two games I do know that we've had trouble containing QB's on the run, as we've given up 87 yards on 11 carries. And a TD. I'm confident that we'll probably get about half a game from Dak Prescott this week, and that should give us an indication about our defense.

On offense, our running game, other than the two runs by DJ against the Chargers, has been terrible. And why so few carries by Chase Edmonds? Is he hurt?

Bottom line, Bradford has been as advertised, and Rosen looks like our QBOTF. So, I am happy with the team.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep. Nothing to go crazy optimistic over in the pre-season, just like the Steelers shouldn't be suicidal after their crushing pre-season loss.
Exactly, although they should be concerned about their defense or lack of heading into the season, though I think most of them are realizing.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's pre-season. Had Brees played last night the score would have been much different.
True. I well remember how Brees absolutely dissected our defense in 2016.

That said, people would be wanting to jump off a bridge if we totally sucked these first two games. And, we did not totally suck.

It wasn't all that long ago when, in preseason, we would be playing our 1s' vs Denver's scrubs and we would still be losing.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Am I the only one who views preseason through the lens of "Please, don't let anyone get hurt"?

Preseason is vanilla trash. Teams use a fraction of their playbook and the actual players are used for a fraction of the game.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Much more optimistic then the last two years with Palmer. Bradford will turn one of our receivers into a Thielen and use the tight end. Defense will get the turnovers. Could be a 20 plus turnover year for the Cards. Offense will not turn the ball over.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Am I the only one who views preseason through the lens of "Please, don't let anyone get hurt"?

Preseason is vanilla trash. Teams use a fraction of their playbook and the actual players are used for a fraction of the game.

Kolb-hater, :)

I'm with you on the injuries. I actually wish they didn't even have the preseason. Unfortunately, at this point, there's too much money at stake.

Also, there are some things you can obverse during a PS game, about which you can have a good or bad feeling. Perhaps most significantly, the way a ball is coming out of the hands of a QB, and the ability of his receivers to catch it. Last night, both of those were firmly in the plus column for ARZ.

Look, I'm not saying we're going to the superbowl or anything, but I believe our defense is flying under the radar at the moment, and saw enough out of Kirk last night to think maybe our receiver corp wont be so bad as to keep us out of a wild card spot.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just saying Browns thought they were going to playoffs with 4-0 season record

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Two takeaways:

1. There are more unknowns than there usually are at this stage of the season.

2. Wilks @ staff are installing a system that lets players develop within it.
What I'm curious to find out is how much each player can improve within that system.

Seems like we'll be defending on 3rd @ medium and I'll be thinking: "Time for a blitz takeaway." And then we'll go do it. Are many of those take-aways flukes? Or are they a feature of Wilks-Ball. (I think the latter).

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Need some linebackers

Most of the rest of the roster isn't too bad

That's all I got

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
we havent faced a starting QB or RB yet have we?? Maybe a little on the RB side

our defense is scary for many reasons right now.... our secondary is rock solid but we get weaker the closer we get to the los...

the brightest light I may have seen is our youth at WR...

Kirk can play.... Williams looks like the light finally came on as he is running good routes and catching what is thrown at him...and that kid Tolliver looks like he can ball as well.
the downside is that none of them seam to be the guy who makes those crazy athletic type catches. fortunately we have two QB's who throw an accurate ball and all three of those young WR's can succeed with that..... have seen some mistakes from these guys but they are lack of experience mistakes, not lack of ability mistakes... like that sideline catch last night, the WR was falling out of bounds and the DB punched the ball out of his hands....had he pulled that ball in and secured it against his chest or facemask the DB wouldnt have been able to knock it out...rookie mistake, I'm sure he has been told by now.
I would be happier if we had a big physical jump ball kinda guy...Larry dont go up and get it like he used to... but these young guys have shown enough that I am not as worried about the WR position as I was.

How about Rosen on that 50 yard bomb?? Dude was almost nails on that pass...he threw it 55 but the WR only ran 53, lol....it was dead on where it needed to be if the WR were a half step faster...or had there been no PI on the play. I think one of the reasons for that particular pass is because everyone has been saying we will run a dink and dunk offense.... but wait!!,...or they might toss if 50 yards downfield....defenses may hesitate to creep up if we show we will do that from time to time.

sad we have to play the entire season with a four man oline....smith suxx

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No harm being optimistic as long as one realizes it is preseason.

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No harm being optimistic as long as one realizes it is preseason.

True --- I like what I have seen so far , but I keep in the back of my mind that last season the Browns went 4 and 0 in preseason and we all know how the rest of that went !

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True --- I like what I have seen so far , but I keep in the back of my mind that last season the Browns went 4 and 0 in preseason and we all know how the rest of that went !

This is the smart thing to do. Can't take preseason seriously but one can dream.

What gives me some hope for the coming season is the Cardinals new head coach Steve Wilks. I expect him to bring some stability to the team.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This is the smart thing to do. Can't take preseason seriously but one can dream.

What gives me some extra hope for the coming season is the Cardinals new head coach Steve Wilks.

Why? Bruce Arians was one of the best game-day head coaches in NFL history. We can hope that Wilks will be as good as Arians was, but it’ll be nearly impossible to be better.

We could just as easily be burying a football at the training facility by mid season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? Bruce Arians was one of the best game-day head coaches in NFL history. We can hope that Wilks will be as good as Arians was, but it’ll be nearly impossible to be better.

We could just as easily be burying a football at the training facility by mid season.

I like that Wilks is not a blitz or die coach and he will be more prone to take what the defense gives him on offense rather than be dependent on the long passing game.

Wilks also seems to be more of a system coach which I hope will add stability. I'm not taking away anything from Arians but giving my opinion on what Wilks brings to the table.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like that Wilks is not a blitz or die coach and he will be more prone to take what the defense gives him on offense rather than be dependent on the long passing game.

Wilks also seems to be more of a system coach which I hope will add stability. I'm not taking away anything from Arians but giving my opinion on what Wilks brings to the table.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/panthe...nthers-defense-blitz-too-often-last-year/amp/

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson