John From Cincinnati (HBO)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What crawled up your butt? There was no ego in my post. My post was about how I enjoyed the show.

someof your post was about how you enjoyed the show and another part was elitist crap - namely this (which I already posted):

"Maybe I don't need the tightly wrapped up packages with cookie cutter plots and blatantly obvious scenarios to grab my interest."

if you don't see that you've basically called out the people who didn't like the show as brainless morons then you're not only elitist, you're certifiably insane.

Jesus H. Christ, shame on me for trodding on your turf. Speaking of egos, you have offered up enough of your opinion on this show so that the rest of us can't be right or appreciate it with out pissing you off.

I'd like for you to point out the evidence in this thread where I've "offered up my opinion so that others can't be right or appreciate it without pissing me off." Go ahead Wally. That should be a fun excersise in futility as I have no problem with people liking this show - hell, you'll find in this thread that I even liked it a lot at various times, hell, even MOST of the time. People liking the show doesn't piss me off - again, it's the elitist garbage implying that people who don't are sheep is what pisses me off.

I have no idea how you can find my post anything but positive, unless you have some preconceived notion about me. I reread my post a few times and find nothing denigrating or insulting about it.

this is just a joke - again, if you don't see a problem with implying that the people who didn't like the show didn't like it because they're brainless morons who need everything spelled out for them then I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you know what's even funnier about you feinging ignorance as the obvious elitism in your statement about being someone who doesn't "need blatantly obvious scenarios to grab your interest", you're someone who didn't even GET the OBVIOUS scenarios that occurred at various points in this show, aka John From Cincinatti = Jesus Christ or that the woman who showed up in the red mustang was Shawn's mom. I mean, if you needed those spelled out for you, by us, the sheep, what does that make you?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
someof your post was about how you enjoyed the show and another part was elitist crap - namely this (which I already posted):

"Maybe I don't need the tightly wrapped up packages with cookie cutter plots and blatantly obvious scenarios to grab my interest."

if you don't see that you've basically called out the people who didn't like the show as brainless morons then you're not only elitist, you're certifiably insane.

I'd like for you to point out the evidence in this thread where I've "offered upmy opinion so that others can't be right or appreciate it without pissing me off. Go ahead Wally. That should be a fun excersise in futility as I have no problem with people liking this show - hell, you'll find in this thread that I even liked it a lot at various times. People liking the show doesn't piss me off - again, it's the elitist garbage implying that people who don't are sheep is what pisses me off.

this is just a joke - again, if you don't see a problem with implying that the people who didn't like the show didn't like it because they're brainless morons who need everything spelled out for them then I don't know what to tell you.

I'm sorry , did someone say something?

BTW, just for clarification, my comment about cookie cutters and such wasn't about the people who didn't like the show, it was about some of the sorry assed shows that clog up the networks. That was just my opinion. I only stated why I enjoyed the show. Can you understand that concept?

I didn't refer to anyone who didn't like the show or dropped out.

I liked the show. I don't care if others didn't. If I don't like a show, it probably wasn't meant for me. Likewise if others don't like shows maybe it wasn't meant for them.

Guess I am an elitist if I don't watch sitcoms. One more time, I enjoyed the showI never put anyone down for not liking it.

Maybe you can't get over the fact that I expressed a " thanks a lot " when you previously posted some " insider info " about the cancellation. Had I known you were so sensitive, I would not have responded to it.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd like for you to point out the evidence in this thread where I've "offered upmy opinion so that others can't be right or appreciate it without pissing me off. Go ahead Wally. That should be a fun excersise in futility as I have no problem with people liking this show - hell, you'll find in this thread that I even liked it a lot at various times. People liking the show doesn't piss me off - again, it's the elitist garbage implying that people who don't are sheep is what pisses me off.

BTW, just for clarification, my comment about cookie cutters and such wasn't about the people who didn't like the show, it was about some of the sorry assed shows that clog up the networks. That was just my opinion. I only stated why I enjoyed the show. Can you understand that concept?

I liked the show. I don't care if others didn't. If I don't like a show, it probably wasn't meant for me. Likewise if others don't like shows maybe it wasn't meant for them.

Guess I am an elitist if I don't watch sitcoms. One more time, I enjoyed the showI never put anyone down for not liking it.

Maybe you can't get over the fact that I expressed a " thanks a lot " when you previously posted some " insider info " about the cancellation. Had I known you were so sensitive, I would not have responded to it.

Nice touch with this one.

Do you feel better now?

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
you know what's even funnier about you feinging ignorance as the obvious elitism in your statement about being someone who doesn't "need blatantly obvious scenarios to grab your interest", you're someone who didn't even GET the OBVIOUS scenarios that occurred at various points in this show, aka John From Cincinatti = Jesus Christ or that the woman who showed up in the red mustang was Shawn's mom. I mean, if you needed those spelled out for you, by us, the sheep, what does that make you?

Holy Crap. Are you having a seizure? Internet rage????????? Man, I can see the spittle flying.

It is a freaking TV show.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

sure and that makes sense, although I think it's spin considering you started that post with:

"I really don't understand the negative viewpoints heaped on this show." Kind seems like you're not talking about the networks after you start a post with that - seems like you're differentiating yourself from those who have had "negative viewpoints", no? Maybe yur intention was to slam the networks (something I've got ZERO problem with) but it sure didn't read like it.

again, you referred to anyone with negative viewpoints in YOUR FIRST SENTENCE of the post that made you seem to be an elitist.

again, not sure how your "people who need everything blatantly spelled out for them" comment could be projected on the networks, rather than the people you disagreed with in your first sentence, but I won't call you a liar. Just a confused old man. :)

hey man, you were the one apparently upset about something that had no effect on what was going to happen in the show whatsoever. I just asked whhat exactly I ruined, to which you never responded for some reason (probably because there was nothing to ruin and you realized that, but I digress).

again, if you could be clearer about who you're besmirching in the future, rather than starting your thesis on "negative opinions" on the show and then going into some elitist rant about how you don't need things spelled out for you (although, apparently you do, again see JC/Shawn's mom examples), we could avoid such tussles in the future. ;)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy Crap. Are you having a seizure? Internet rage????????? Man, I can see the spittle flying.

wally, just because you've made a fool of yourself and I've called you on it doesn't make me enraged. After all, I'm not the one pounding on the question mark key, now am I?

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't enjoy the conversation. I will be sure to keep my distance from you in the future. Duly noted your snide ass remark about old man. Said face to face, that would get you an eff you, but I suspect you wouldn't under those circumstances. It's the internet and 3000 miles so what's the sense. ( question mark purposely left out per CB's request.

P.S. No one is your fool.

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score

Nice touch with this one.

Do you feel better now?

Didn't enjoy the conversation. I will be sure to keep my distance from you in the future. Duly noted your snide ass remark about old man. Said face to face, that would get you an eff you, but I suspect you wouldn't under those circumstances. It's the internet and 3000 miles so what's the sense. ( question mark purposely left out per CB's request.

P.S. No one is your fool.

I did not really take it offensively... I did kind of stop and think on the cookie cutter line but then read on. when Cheese wrote back I was thinking, "yeah I could kind of see how he could get that but I am pretty sure he is off base". But with the mega defensive coming perhaps I missed it.

Mulli said:
This thread bites more than the show did. :)

I disagree... this thread is makes much more sense... :D

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I really don't understand the negative viewpoints heaped on this show. It is entertainment and it sure entertained the Hell out of me. I don't think I watched one of the episodes where I didn't listen to every bit of dialogue with keen interest. The aspect of attempting to solve the constant riddles was one of the big grabs. Maybe I don't need the tightly wrapped up packages with cookie cutter plots and blatantly obvious scenarios to grab my interest. The connection of all of the characters and the interplay was a blast. This series was chock full of sidebar comments and great lines/drops and I will miss the fun of watching this cast of characters, but WTH, life goes on. Maybe the need for instant gratification and simplification undid this one in the ratings.

Milch seems to have a limited audience, but one that loves his style. I am looking forward to his next venture.

BTW, I found the secondary characters to be the most entertaining. Ramone, Freddy, Palaka and the rest of the Motel ensemble were a blast. The Coffee shop crew was coming on strong in the end. That was the best part of the episodes for me.

agree 100%, particularly with your last paragraph. the "bit roles" were just outstanding. overall the character development was terrific. you KNEW who everyone was, you just didn't know WHAT everyone was or WHAT their roles in the big picture were to ultimately be (though I do think that began unfolding in the last three episodes).

i am greatly disheartened (though not surprised) that JFC is being dropped. i ate every last bit of it. like wally i was completely focused on each and every word uttered. no other show in recent memory has required me to pay so much attention. and despite not always "getting it" or thinking i got it, i never ended up frustrated or mad. i recognized my entertainment and marveled at my own mystification. i even laughed at myself for NOT getting it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
yeah, that must be it - you've got a mind of superior intellect and the rest of the people on this thread that fell off the show are mindless sheep. Good lord, egomaniacal much Wally?

Milch is a FANTASTIC writer as evidenced by Deadwood, NYPD Blue and Hill Street amongst others, but he ain't infallible. Personally, I think this series was just a middle finger to the suits at HBO who gave up on Deadwood more than anything else. But what do I know? I'm just a guy who likes cookie cutter plots and blatantly obvious scenarios to grab my interest.

you're an idiot, but i don't think you're that big of an idiot. this show caught your attention whether you liked it or not. if a second season rolled around you'd have watched. you texted me "weirdest show i've ever seen" after almost every episode and i know you like weird.

and i don't think it necessarily takes "superior intellect" to enjoy the show (though i suppose it helps). i think it requires an openness or creativity of mind to buy into it. that blogger that someone posted the link for was long-winded and meandered a lot, but i think he got one thing right, the show was not so much about THINKING as much as it was about FEELING. it's really an artistic thing. much the same way singer/songwriter seal refuses to include lyrics in his albums and the same way i refuse to tell anyone what any of my pieces "mean." it's about FEELING.

there's plenty of room for your "cookie cutter and obvious plots" shows, it's just a shame that the one show that endeavors to move outside of the box gets crushed like this.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I'd like for you to point out the evidence in this thread where I've "offered up my opinion so that others can't be right or appreciate it without pissing me off." Go ahead Wally. That should be a fun excersise in futility as I have no problem with people liking this show - hell, you'll find in this thread that I even liked it a lot at various times, hell, even MOST of the time. People liking the show doesn't piss me off - again, it's the elitist garbage implying that people who don't are sheep is what pisses me off.

i think the reason that this show isn't getting another run is PURELY b/c of the fact that the hbo execs know the SHEEP won't like it. are there others that didn't like it? sure. including some intellectuals. not everyone of a certain level of intelligence likes the same things. but it's almost a given that the sheep wouldn't like this show b/c it means you have to think (or attempt to think) for yourself.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
did wally and cheese get banned for arguing about a television show???

CLASSIC!

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a joke in here about post-modernism, I just can't find it. I dunno ... maybe ...

- Why did John from Cincinnati cross the road?
- Why did you cross the road, Butchie?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So should I even watch this? I have the whole season on my DVR. Knowing it is cancelled and it's a one off show here, is it worth my time to watch?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So should I even watch this? I have the whole season on my DVR. Knowing it is cancelled and it's a one off show here, is it worth my time to watch?
I watched the first three or four. It was worth watching for some scenes with Al Bundy. But I gave up on the show.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's better than, say, reruns of old sitcoms. Depends on how much free time you have.

I'd say you should probably watch it just so you understand why some are frustrated.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

a small minority of very very intelligent people on this board loved it. maybe you should see if you fit that category.

kidding . . .

we know you don't.

kidding. watch it.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is the next HBO series I'm going to dig into after I run through all of the Flight of the Conchords.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watched the premier. I liked it okay; but if it doesn't get better in the next couple of episodes (seemed a little disjointed), I'll prolly not continue to watch.

BTW, great Joe Strummer theme.