John From Cincinnati (HBO)

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.hbo.com/johnfromcincinnati

This show premieres tonight after The Sopranos. HBO and "from the producers of Deadwood" is enough to get me interested. Even after reading the synposis below and watching the two trailers they had on the website, I really don't know what this show is going to be about.

Just north of the border, in a tired coastal town, live three generations of the Yosts, surfing royalty turned society misfits. The Yosts' reign and reputation, once defined in the curl of a perfect wave, have been eroded by years of bad luck, addiction and hubris. But just as things are looking like they can't get worse, a stranger named John arrives – and the Yosts' banal existence is lifted into something profound, miraculous and, possibly, universal.

Set in Imperial Beach, California, the last great surf-break before Tijuana, where the U.S. meets Mexico, and water meets land, John From Cincinnati tells the story of the Yosts, a family of surfers whose awesome athletic talents have seemed for generations to come with a curse attached. The gifts of 13-year-old Shaun rival those of Butchie, his addict-derelict father, and his now-ascetically-withdrawn grandfather Mitch, both of whom defined the sport in their heydays. In shaping Shaun's career, his grandmother Cissy strives to achieve a commercial and athletic success that will compensate for the frustrations and failures of her life with her husband and son.

Into this world, where even simple joy has been turned into a commodity, steps a mysterious stranger named John. Soon after, things begin to happen to the Yosts, and those whose lives they touch, that test the boundaries of past and present, the mundane and the miraculous, the natural world and what lies beyond it.

Created by David Milch (HBO's 'Deadwood'), and "surf-noir" novelist Kem Nunn, "John From Cincinnati" jumps the border between everyday reality and the humanity that exists beyond it.

'John From Cincinnati' stars Bruce Greenwood ('Déjà vu,' 'I, Robot), Rebecca De Mornay ('Lords of Dogtown,' 'The Hand That Rocks the Cradle'), Brian Van Holt ('House of Wax,' 'S.W.A.T.'), Austin Nichols ('Glory Road,' 'The Day After Tomorrow'), Ed O'Neill ("Married with Children,' 'The West Wing'), Luis Guzman ('Anger Management,' 'Boogie Nights'), Matt Winston ('Six Feet Under,' 'Teachers'), Greyson Fletcher (Acting debut), Willie Garson ('Sex and the City,' 'The TV Set'), Luke Perry ('Oz,' 'Beverly Hills, 90210'), Keala Kennelly (Acting debut), Jim Beaver ('Deadwood,' 'Adaptation'), Garret Dillahunt ('Deadwood,' 'The 4400'), Dayton Callie ('Deadwood,' 'CSI'), Emily Rose ('Hurricane Party'), Paul Ben Victor ('The Wire,' 'Entourage').

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
http://www.hbo.com/johnfromcincinnati

This show premieres tonight after The Sopranos. HBO and "from the producers of Deadwood" is enough to get me interested. Even after reading the synposis below and watching the two trailers they had on the website, I really don't know what this show is going to be about.

Yeah, it looks strange. I plan on checking it out.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an HBO show? I thought it was some new chili cooking show on HGTV.

My personal chili recipe combines the best of Tex-Mex, Sonoran, and Cincy flavors without conflict. Just call me Gadd from Cincitexmexizona.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looks really dumb.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched half of this show and I have no clue what is going on, who John is and who the FRAK wrote the dialog...it's ugh.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't you wish you'd just read my chili recipe now?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Watched about half of it... My guess is that the reason it was so vague is because THEY don't know where it's going yet. Did anyone get the plot?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Second half of the show picked up and made a bit more sense. I'll watch again
" On Demand service.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Second half of the show picked up and made a bit more sense. I'll watch again.
Yep. I thought the show was great but it definitly fell together after the first half. I almost turned it off. Now I'll check it out again.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can definitely see the Deadwood influence in this show. Very strange stuff but I agree that the last half of the show began to make some sense althought it is a complete mystery where they are headed.

I think anytimeuwant might not be too far off the mark when he posted that the writers may not even know where they are going yet.

The biggest problem, as I see it, with how this show started is the overall strangeness caused people to turn the channel and move on.

Wife and I will keep watching this and see where it may go.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who is the GILF? (Grandma I'd like to ...)

Rebecca DeMournay (sp?)...the call girl in Risky Business. IF she hasn't had any elective surgery done (and I am not suggesting she has or hasn't), then she has aged remarkably well...she looks great.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
She's only 47. It's not like she's 80.

And when was Risky Business released? 24 or 25 years ago? She could have easily aged poorly in that time.

All I am saying is she has aged well and if you think 24 years couldn't have killed her looks...

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
The wife and I watched it and it seems like it will be a good show. I'm leery about getting into it since HBO will just kill it after one or two seasons.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard