Reaction score
Deadwood The Movie

Release date: May 31, 2019
Studio: HBO Films
Director: Daniel Minahan
MPAA Rating: N/A
Screenwriter: David Milch
Genre: Drama, Action, Western

Starring: Ian McShane, Timothy Olyphant, Molly Parker, Paula Malcomson, John Hawkes, Anna Gunn, Dayton Callie, Brad Dourif, Robin Weigert, William Sanderson, Kim Dickens, Gerald McRaney, Jade Pettyjohn

Plot Summary: The much-anticipated "Deadwood" movie is set to begin production in the fall of 2018. Creator David Milch has written the script for the film, which will serve as a coda to tie up loose ends left by the series, which was cancelled after three seasons.

In the film, the indelible characters of the series are reunited after ten years to celebrate South Dakota’s statehood. Former rivalries are reignited, alliances are tested and old wounds are reopened, as all are left to navigate the inevitable changes that modernity and time have wrought.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I have this recorded... HBO did a full three season marathon, and since I had never seen deadwood, I decided to record that and watch it all prior to watching the movie.

Deadwood is surprisingly good.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
I have this recorded... HBO did a full three season marathon, and since I had never seen deadwood, I decided to record that and watch it all prior to watching the movie.

My wife and I just recently watched all three seasons by watching two to three episodes per night until we finally finished the night before the movie came out. Loved that series but it was disturbing how much they all aged from the night before. The plot line is a little thin in the movie but it was nice to finally tie up some loose ends from season 3.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Out of everything you’ve seen and read, why is it “surprisingly” good? :p

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have waited a long time for this. Watched it over the weekend. It delivered for the most part. I thought it was an appropriate ending to one of my favorite shows. Loved seeing the cast back and Bullock had some great scenes and loved seeing Jane and some of the others back one last time.

A few things I didn't like....

I thought the ending was a little anti-climatic. I thought for sure there would be some big gun battle or some spectacular ending for Hearst. That kind of fizzled. I mean they even took the time out for Hearst to say "I'm coming for you Marshal" which seemed to setup something better than we ended up with.

I also didn't like what they did with Swearengen. Again, felt like his contribution to the movie was a bit of a let down. I get he was a bit broken ten years later. However, frankly it would have fit his character to cut off Hearst's finger or something like that in retribution for everything Hearst did. If anything they established Al has a long memory. His end just fizzled for me.

Also, Alma Garret's character although you needed to have her back was more of just a plot filler to buy the land. Her character didn't really seemed to have moved on after 10 years and pretty much left her character exactly where they left off 10 years ago by the end of the movie.

None of this ruined it for me but I just thought they could have done better in these spots.

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really liked the ending for Bullock and Alma when they were lost in a memory for a moment on the dance floor. The call of his daughter's voice snapped him out of it. It was very poetic that his duty and responsibility to his family represented by his daughter's voice extinguished the flame of romance and brought him back to reality.

Also Jane overcoming her demons and saving Bullock as she failed to do with Wild Bill was special.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I can’t believe they brought back the same actor for a random cameo appearance for a third time.

First he kills wild bill.

Then he’s Hearst *****-killing surveyor.

And then he’s in the street muttering something about how his daddy did something?

Weird. Am I really the only person who caught this?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose