Joe Flacco anyone?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We got to play poker with the cards we have been dealt.

No QB on the roster, middle of the pack pick at #15, not much salary cap, other needs to solve via draft.

Flacco is a vet QB who would make us competitive---we got to ace out of our division via winning it outright or drawing a wild card. Flacco can accomplish that provided we solidify the D, DJ comes back healthy and ready to ramble.

Don't need Superman, Batman will do.
If he can’t make a team with a better roster & in much easier division competitive, how is he going to make us competitive?

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Flacco's contract would cost too much. We only need one draft pick this year and that's our QBOTF. It's time to bite the bullet and go all in and get our guy.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

No QB on the roster, middle of the pack pick at #15, not much salary cap, other needs to solve via draft.

Flacco is a vet QB who would make us competitive---we got to ace out of our division via winning it outright or drawing a wild card. Flacco can accomplish that provided we solidify the D, DJ comes back healthy and ready to ramble.

You are playing poker like someone that plays a bluff and doesn't rise before the river when it is clear that the river is killing him.

Sorry, if you watched Flacco "average" Joe, than you saw games where he lost them games, but not just losing like, someone that loses you a game, no he crashes your backbone doing so. That is the Ravens "average" Joe.

Palmer is and was way better than Flacco. Yes Flaccos 60%+ look nice, but his YPA of 5.7 and not even 4k yards a year isn't cutting it.

He has some viaable WR but ... he can't find them for real and they loke worse than they are with him most of the time. Wallace lookes worse than with Tannehill ... that is saying something.

So don't get me wrong, getting Flacco for a 7th or something like CP with a deal around 18 Mio $ as a bridge QB, that is something that sounds okayish, but than again, why would the Ravens do that?

Wellthatsjustfine

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Flacco has a W-L record for 102-67 and is a pocket passer. Pair him with DJ and a good defense you can get 5 years of above average QB play. That will be best use of 2nd rounder with a compensatory 3rd round pick in back pocket. I don't think Ravens will give Flacco away for a 2nd round though.

What is it about Flacco that makes you think otherwise.
That I have actually watched him play week in and week out rather than just looking up his stats when this thread posted.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

I’ll go on record saying I think Bradford is as good as or better than Flacco. I wouldn’t want to waste the draft picks to acquire Flacco. I don’t dislike the guy, I just don’t think he can elevate players around him.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’ll go on record saying I think Bradford is as good as or better than Flacco. I wouldn’t want to waste the draft picks to acquire Flacco. I don’t dislike the guy, I just don’t think he can elevate players around him.

Agree that Bradford is the better QB. Problem is his injury history. He has missed 32 of 112 games that he was eligible to start. Flacco has missed 6 of 160 due to injury.

The question would be is that durability sufficient enough to pay a price to trade for Flacco as compared to signing Bradford as a FA.

I think there will be more suitors for Flacco if the Ravens make him available via trade over Bradford (this from someone who wants the Cards to sign Bradford & Gabbert as bridge QBs and draft a QB at #15).

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Joe Flacco...
Basically a poor mans alex smith....but with less ball security... the prior to 2017 alex smith

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Joe Flacco...
Basically a poor mans alex smith....but with less ball security... the prior to 2017 alex smith

A very poor man's Alex Smith. Smith would not throw an interception even if his mother ran out on the field and called for the ball . . . his ball security is one of his biggest +++'s

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Joe Flacco isn't getting treaded this year for no amount of picks. His contract is untradeable this year. His contract "out year" is after next season, he would count over 28 mil in dead cap space for the Ravens if traded this off season.

Reaction score
Agree that Bradford is the better QB. Problem is his injury history. He has missed 32 of 112 games that he was eligible to start. Flacco has missed 6 of 160 due to injury.

The question would be is that durability sufficient enough to pay a price to trade for Flacco as compared to signing Bradford as a FA.

I think there will be more suitors for Flacco if the Ravens make him available via trade over Bradford (this from someone who wants the Cards to sign Bradford & Gabbert as bridge QBs and draft a QB at #15).

This is what I think the Cards will do. I think they are done with the Gabbert experiment though.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Joe Flacco isn't getting treaded this year for no amount of picks. His contract is untradeable this year. His contract "out year" is after next season, he would count over 28 mil in dead cap space for the Ravens if traded this off season.

The OP's opening comment offered the hypothetical "The Ravens might actually part ways with him and go after a qb. What y’all think? Would he'd be a good fit here?"

My first reaction is to ask for the link or source when I read that kind of comment. That, or do a simple web search on the statement and see if it pops up anywhere.

Here's a Ravens fan page article from mid-2017 that looks at Flacco and makes the point that his contract is indeed a mess:

https://ebonybird.com/2017/10/17/baltimore-ravens-breaking-joe-flacco-situation/

So, your point that Flacco is probably not up for trade or a cut is well taken due to salary cap considerations.

But here's the other consideration for an open fan forum discussion: There's plenty of space for hypothetical situations and imaginary scenarios (even those based in a stretch of the facts) and are still fun to bounce around. Most of the 'what if' discussions here require a leap of imagination to consider. It's like being a kid and trading bubblegum cards with the notion that you are really making the deal . . . "I'll give you Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford for your Stan Musial and Bob Gibson . . . " Not going to happen . . . but we can still toss the idea around, can't we??

Last edited:

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is what I think the Cards will do. I think they are done with the Gabbert experiment though.

The 'Gabbert experiment' sure fizzled after a few games. For all the hype regarding BA (and his crew of old time coaches) as QB whisperers, Gabbert put up numbers remarkably similar to his career stats everywhere else he played.

The problem is he also made some great throws/plays that shows he has some QB talent. It also appeared that he was a hard worker and good teammate. It is those kind of plays and work ethic that will keep him hanging around the league---maybe not as a starter but at least as a backup. BA stated that the Cards could win in 2018 with BG---maybe some sincere evaluation, maybe some more BS in the wheelbarrow of BA quotes.

We'll need a backup---might as well try a QB with 7 years in the league and still with enough skill to work with.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
The 'Gabbert experiment' sure fizzled after a few games. For all the hype regarding BA (and his crew of old time coaches) as QB whisperers, Gabbert put up numbers remarkably similar to his career stats everywhere else he played.

The problem is he also made some great throws/plays that shows he has some QB talent. It also appeared that he was a hard worker and good teammate. It is those kind of plays and work ethic that will keep him hanging around the league---maybe not as a starter but at least as a backup. BA stated that the Cards could win in 2018 with BG---maybe some sincere evaluation, maybe some more BS in the wheelbarrow of BA quotes.

We'll need a backup---might as well try a QB with 7 years in the league and still with enough skill to work with.
Gabbert, much like Mark Sanchez, seems to be his own worst enemy. Talent for sure but untimely mistakes are all too common. With the amount of playing time that he's had, it's hard to imagine him ever growing out of those killer mistakes.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gabbert, much like Mark Sanchez, seems to be his own worst enemy. Talent for sure but untimely mistakes are all too common. With the amount of playing time that he's had, it's hard to imagine him ever growing out of those killer mistakes.

Both show enough to leave fans wondering why there isn't more and maybe they will 'come around.'

Train has probably left the station on Sanchez, almost gone with Gabbert.

At least Gabbert doesn't have a butt fumble to his credit.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
The OP's opening comment offered the hypothetical "The Ravens might actually part ways with him and go after a qb. What y’all think? Would he'd be a good fit here?"

My first reaction is to ask for the link or source when I read that kind of comment. That, or do a simple web search on the statement and see if it pops up anywhere.

Here's a Ravens fan page article from mid-2017 that looks at Flacco and makes the point that his contract is indeed a mess:

https://ebonybird.com/2017/10/17/baltimore-ravens-breaking-joe-flacco-situation/

So, your point that Flacco is probably not up for trade or a cut is well taken due to salary cap considerations.

But here's the other consideration for an open fan forum discussion: There's plenty of space for hypothetical situations and imaginary scenarios (even those based in a stretch of the facts) and are still fun to bounce around. Most of the 'what if' discussions here require a leap of imagination to consider. It's like being a kid and trading bubblegum cards with the notion that you are really making the deal . . . "I'll give you Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford for your Stan Musial and Bob Gibson . . . " Not going to happen . . . but we can still toss the idea around, can't we??

Didn't mean to break up the fantasy parade. I do not read the first sentence as hypothetical, it stated that the ravens might actually part ways with him. Although the OP did not state what year they may move on. I was actually on board with the thought of JF being a bridge QB and that is why I went to check out his contract status. See what his salary would be. I know he signed a huge contract, but if the ravens had already paid the bulk of it, well it might have been doable. That is when I saw the dead cap space.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Didn't mean to break up the fantasy parade. I do not read the first sentence as hypothetical, it stated that the ravens might actually part ways with him. Although the OP did not state what year they may move on. I was actually on board with the thought of JF being a bridge QB and that is why I went to check out his contract status. See what his salary would be. I know he signed a huge contract, but if the ravens had already paid the bulk of it, well it might have been doable. That is when I saw the dead cap space.

Good answer. I think you'll agree almost everything discussed on a fan forum belongs in the Magical Mystery Tour Parade.

So, "I'll give you Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford for your Stan Musial and Bob Gibson . . . " LOL

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Good answer. I think you'll agree almost everything discussed on a fan forum belongs in the Magical Mystery Tour Parade.

So, "I'll give you Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford for your Stan Musial and Bob Gibson . . . " LOL

But usually there is a possibility that it could happen, however slight that possibility may be. No way Flacco is getting released this year.

It all good as long as I don't have to take my Willie Mays out of the spokes of my bike.

Last edited:

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
But usually there is a possibility that is could happen, however slight that possibility is. No way Flacco is getting released this year.

It all good as long as I don't have to take my Willie Mays out of the spokes of my bike.

Don't remind me of all my rookie cards of future HOF players that met the bicycle-and-clothspin spoke fate. Or the first issue of Spiderman, Fantastic Four, X-Men, etc that I read and traded in at the local market for a nickel each.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Don't remind me of all my rookie cards of future HOF players that met the bicycle-and-clothspin spoke fate. Or the first issue of Spiderman, Fantastic Four, X-Men, etc that I read and traded in at the local market for a nickel each.

That is a true story that I had a Willie Mays rookie card in my spokes, because I had 2 of them. I remember it well as he was one of my favorite players ever. I hate to think of how many others I destroyed.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That is a true story that I had a Willie Mays rookie card in my spokes, because I had 2 of them. I remember it well as he was one of my favorite players ever. I hate to think of how many others I destroyed.

We used to gather behind the market and toss baseball cards at an empty coffee can. If you made it in the can, you claimed all the cards on the ground that were misses.

Little did we know that we were tossing around thousands of dollars of valuable memorabilia. If only my Mother had instructed me on how to be a right and proper Hoarder.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Both show enough to leave fans wondering why there isn't more and maybe they will 'come around.'

Train has probably left the station on Sanchez, almost gone with Gabbert.

At least Gabbert doesn't have a butt fumble to his credit.
It's easy to forget that Sanchez had 32 TD's one season for the Jets. The JETS! But, I don't think either he, or Gabbert will get a legitimate shot at starting in the NFL again. I think Gabbert's ship is just as far out of the dock too. Sanchez never had the opportunity of being "fixed" by a QB guru and being in a QB friendly system.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
back around 73 or so I traded a mint Babe Ruth Rookie card for a bag of marbles... saw that same card go at auction for a close to half a million bucks about 20 years later, lol...(not that EXACT card I'm sure) also had a Topps mickey mantle I traded for...a top,...yeah,...a spin on the ground top... my poor uncle Bill,lol... he had an old trunk in his garage full of baseball cards from the early to mid 1900's... I swiped about fifty of them and traded them for various toys that summer...
on the karma note...some years later I stored my comic collection at another uncles house when I went to boot camp... he ran a foster home, and those foster kids destroyed my collection... had the first six star wars, all non -reprints that were put in sleeves in the store...savage sword of conan #1... the first ten archies, first 5 casper..was a good collection...destroyed, lol.
If I knew then what I know now I would have taken much better care of that stuff, lol.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn